Do some WT phrases make you squirm?

by jeanniebeanz 66 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Encourage... you would think this is a wonderful term, but when 'ones are encouraged to, contribute more, do more, be more, Arghhhhh! Stop it. I can't take any more goading encouragement! *kak*

J

• bebu
    bebu

"privileged" likewise seems to be a euphemism for doing things normal people don't consider to be privileges.

I already wrote a thread on how the word "ones" gets under my skin.

bebu

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I hated it when they would use the phrase, "Fellow Feeling." One, it always brought images of someone being groped; and two, they don't have any love or 'fellow feeling' for anyone who isn't an elder, pioneer or member of their family.

CountryGuy

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

Anybody else remember the "in the original greek" guy? I have been racking my brain all night trying to remember his name. I remember him from the Newhall, Valencia, Canyon Country area from the late 80's (I think they incorporated into one city called Santa Clarita) in the Southern Cali area.

• lawrence
    lawrence

"Privilege"

In OUR newly reigning King Christ Jesus' name ...

Inactive

Repetition for emphasis

appointed (by whom?)

• exjwshell
    exjwshell

Besides the words "new system" and the phrase "Bad associations spoil useful habits" the idea that was constantly drilled into my head as a little kid was the fact that because I was not an adult EVERYTHING I did...would be used to judge my parents...If I accidentially swore or took a piece of candy at a birthday celebration at school...anything....I could ruin it for my parents...they wouldn't make it into the "new system"....OH I HATED THAT!....No wonder I have guilt issues!

I know thats why I left when I turned 18.

~Shell

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

JB said,

Husbandly Owner.....

I hated this word then and I still hate it now!

Dragonlady

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

The answer to your question is yes, every last one of them listed above brings on an acute physical reaction in me that stops just short of projectile vomiting.

• Scully
    Scully

• "To time indefinite"
    • "in subjection to"
    • "husbandly owner"
    • "Jezebel influence"
    • "independent thinking"
    • "under demonic / worldly influence"
    • "bad association"
    • The Truth?
    • Privilege? (which means when translated: some $h!t that we need volunteers for because none of the Elders want to do it)
  • New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

The word 'wholesome' used to wind me up. When they went on about wholesome music, wholesome friends, wholesome entertainment etc etc.

Spiritual banquet was another one. Bullshit smorgasbord more like.

Virtually every speaker at the Sunday talk tried to incorporate bizarre metaphors to try and get the point across. They made me laugh more than annoy me though cos they were so contrived and rubbish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit