Well....the wife and I are going back to the Kingdom Hall.

by jimbob 33 Replies latest jw friends

• jimbob
    jimbob

Before I explain why, I've never really given anyone a background on myself, even though I've been a member here for 2 1/2 years. So I'll try and make this quick.

I was raised a JW my whole life. I know many JW's in the Seattle area and Eastside. I moved to the Eastside of Seattle in 1988 where I attended the same congo as Reinhard Lengtat, who is mentioned in Ray's COC. My wife and I were married in that hall in 1992. My family also knew Marilyn's (a.k.a. Mulan) family quite well and we were even in a drama together along with her husband in 1995. (That's the year she and Big Red were on their way out)

What got me questioning things was in 1998 at a District Convention, I ran into someone who attended Reinhard's congo, and they told me he quit going to meeting. I couldn't believe it! I couldn't understand how someone so spiritual could leave the org????

That stuck in my mind for a few more years until 2002 when my wife finally admitted to me she didn't want to go anymore. And the rest is history. While my wife and I differ on some of the reasons why we left, we agree on others. But at least we're both out. Obviously I'm leaving a lot out, (and I do mean ALOT) but I don't want to get long winded. This board has been terrific in what I've been able to learn and to hear other people's experiences and how similar many of them are (and heartbreaking too) , so thank you Simon and to everyone here who participates on this board...now, for the reason why we're going back....

I just got a call from my mother (a die hard JW, but very reasonable when it came to us leaving the borg) and she told me a dear friend of our family just passed away last night from cancer. (Mulan, I'll PM you and tell you who it was) She was diagnosed with it 3 weeks ago, so her death came very quickly. This was a woman who was verbally abused her entire marriage. (married to a MS, I might add) I feel strongly if the JW religion wasn't so controlling and manipulative, she would have left it and her a**hole of a husband long ago. My mom and her we're very good friends, and we always did stuff with her family growing up. Out of all of her kids, only one is still a JW. This woman had a strong spirit, but was stifled by her marriage and religion.

So her memorial is next Saturday, and my wife and I have decided to go. We've talked about this situation before, and have agreed that there are a few select people that if they pass away in our lifetime, we will attend their memorial. This obviously being one of those situations. It will be hard, especially since both of us will encounter many people we've known, (and alot we wish we would forget) But we want to do this out of respect for her. I told my wife when we first left the JW's, that I would never set foot in a KH again. But for a few select people's memorial, I will go.

I will let everyone know how it went afterwards. Many of the people that will be there will know we quit the borg. But I'm sure there will be some who don't. And I don't have any problem telling people that we quit. If they only knew how "apostate" I was..... It will be an intersting experience to say the least.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Jimbob:Sorry to hear that you lost someone close, and that they were treated so horribly.
    (((hugs to you and your wife)))

• prophecor
  • Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

((((((((huggs))))))))) Sorry you lost someone close to you, hope the experience isn't too painful.

Regards,

Sherry

• Valis
    Valis

good on you for going jimbob. Just think of how good it will feel to walk in and when it is over to walk away again FREE..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Taylor S.
    Taylor S.

Sorry about your terrible news .... going back under those circumstances must be terribly painful. But having the knowledge that we evil apostates know more than they ever could or would accept, should give you the strength to ward off any condescending barbs.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

I am so sorry that you lost someone you care so much about.

I have to say when I first saw the thread, I thought you meant you were going Back... as in Going Back to the Organization. Whew.

Many thoughts are with you and your wife this weekend. It always hurts when someone you care about passes.

much love

blackswan

• JeffT
    JeffT

Sorry to hear that you lost a friend. You've go a PM.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

sorry to hear of the loss ((((Jimbob & Ms Jimbob))))

I know you may be dreading it now, to set foot in a KH, but when I had to for my dad's and then my f-i-l's memorial, it was surreal. The JWs were more afraid of me and my family than I of them. (Of course a nice shot of rum in the parking lot helped calm me down )

Remember, you know more than the average JW and they are the ones under the influence of a "cult".

Let us know how it goes.

Hugs,

Joy

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good for you. I feel that shows love- going among those who have learned to hate. To show respect for a dear one.

hold your head high & smile at all who shun you. Sorry about your loss (((HUGS)))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit