Do You Miss Any Of Your JW Friends???

by minimus 64 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Brooke....I picked a bad day to post.

Gumby

• Golf
    Golf

Gumby, you and I can do with a game of golf today. What do you think of that Gremlin chapter?

I ignored the shunning policy. In short, its inhumane. It wasn't 'natural' for me to shun others. My 'conscience' just couldn't accept it.

If you believe in shunning, why be so abusive about it? There is such a thing as ignoring someone without adding insult to injury. Can you imagine the kind of politicians we would have if they didn't have diplomacy? Not like Japan where they physically attack each other.

All this shunning is done under the guise of being Christ-like.

Thinking to myself again.

Guest77

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Didn't really have any when I was in. Could never find a common interest amongst those crackpots that didn't have something to do with the organization.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane
    Brooke....I picked a bad day to post.

Gumby

Wow Gumby! maybe you should take some of the meds that seven006 is on.

• undercover
    undercover

Franklin said it best:

I can honestly say that I have many, many "aquaintences" but actually very few real friends.

I have a few close friends that I grew up with but have lost touch with over time due to marriages, jobs, moving away and of course, they're still JWs and I'm inactive. The ones that I was closest to growing up I lost touch with before fading away so I can't blame them or the WTS for losing touch, it was us, it was life.

The people that I became "friends" with later in life as a JW, well, they were never really close "friends". We never shared what I shared with the people that I grew up with. The new friends were friends of convienence. We saw each other several times a week, we weren't supposed to associate with worldy people, so we made friends with who we could in the hall.

Sometimes you make really close friends that way, usually though, they are just filler friends. People to do stuff with when you aren't in service or at the meetings. We had one thing in common, being JWs, but other likes and dislikes may not have jived very well, but since they were the only people available to associate with, you sucked it up and hung out with them.

I don't miss them that much. I see a few of them from time to time around town and I have nice conversations with them, but I am thankful that I don't have to go to their house for boring cookout/WT study/Bethalite kiss-up/CO ass kissing parties anymore.

I have found it hard to make friends outside of the JW life. I have lots of acquaintances but not close friends. Not someone I'd trust like a close friend. It doesn't bother me that much. Growing up as a JW, I learned to be self-sufficient and to entertain myself since I was not allowed to do stuff with the neighborhood kids or school kids. Outside of a few close JW friends from my teenage/early 20 years, I've never developed close friendships with anyone JW or not.

• heatherg
    heatherg

I had a few close friends that sometimes I still miss. I mean I grew up with these people, they were all I knew. The only friends I'd had, I felt very alone after I left, not being able to talk to them. Very hurt also that they wouldn't have anything to do with me. I have new friends now, even ones that I've made on here 'Dustin'. I can't really blame them for not staying in contact though. They aren't brave enough or ready to make that next step to go agaisnt the WTS. So maybe someday they'll see the light. hg

• heatherg
    heatherg

I have found it hard to make friends outside of the JW life. I have lots of acquaintances but not close friends. Not someone I'd trust like a close friend. Undercover. I feel the same way. It has taken me 10 yrs to finally develop some realationships outside of my husband, that I would consider close. Still not true friends or 'bosum buddies'. hg

• minimus
    minimus

If a "real friend" is a Jehovah's Witness, he/she is not a "good" Jehovah's Witness.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

friends do not abandon one over religion. thus, I never *had* any friends in the cult.

Jeannie

• freedom96
    freedom96

Many here have gone through very difficult times after leaving the WTS, so it might be easier to associate "good ole times" with those people that were around back then.

There are a few that I would enjoy seeing, but more to catch up on things, as apposed to becoming "good friends" again.

There are a few that I still see from time to time, but it is increasingly difficult to be around them for an extended period of time, when nowadays we are so different.

Sadly, because of the way the WTS makes the rank and file witness react to df'ing or da'ing, those that very well may love us dearly, feel as though they have no choice but to shun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit