Could some-one please explain American football to me!

by Zep 62 Replies latest social physical

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ah yes, Baseball. Another knock-off of a Brit game.
    Only we play "rounders" without a glove!

I'm starting to see a pattern here...

• FMZ
    FMZ

*sigh* The amount of times I have heard the argument "the pansies wear protection". I see it the other way around... the guys in rugby don't wear protection.

I don't believe I have ever seen an American football player with missing teeth... rugby on the other hand they all have broken noses, missing teeth, broken jaws.

Plus, we are comparing apples to pears here. The game is totally different. If you enjoy watching rugby, go ahead and watch. If you enjoy watching football, go ahead and watch.

This same thing happens with so many subjects, religion for instance. Christianity is better / Buddhism is better / Islam is better. You know what? It's BS in my opinion. Do what makes you happy and what makes you a better person, and don't look down on others for their choices.

Oh, and... thanks for explaining, CJ!

FMZ

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

The manly men of soccer

• under74
    under74

LOL Big Tex!!!!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

FMZ:P*ss off ya ignorant w*nker!!!
    I think you've been hanging around with pansy-asses a little too much!
    I've played all four games extensively...

LOL @ BigTex

• Badger
    Badger

Sports in a nutshell...

by Badger, a former sports journalist.

1. Baseball. Nine players a side, scoring determined who can reach home safely after three other checkpoints ("bases"). Nine innings in which each side gets to play offense until the third player in an inning fails to reach base safely ("out"). Outs are recorded when a batted ball in caught on the fly, a player off base is tagged with the ball, or a player misses the ball three times.
    When Played: April - October.
    Greatest Players: Babe Ruth, Nolan Ryan, Jackie Robinson, Barry Bonds.
    Greatest Teams: New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Dodgers
    Badger's take: only if nothing else is on....go Cards!

2.Football (soccer). Eleven players a side, scoring determined by ball entering goal. Ball may be propelled by any means except hands (usually feet, hence the name), except by the goalkeeper. 90 minutes with extra time added for injury.
    When Played: Year round (most domestic leagues: August - April)
    Greatest Players: Pele, George Best, Mia Hamm, David Beckham.
    Greatest Teams: Manchester United, Bayern Munich, AC Milan.
    Badger's take: 3 billion people can't be wrong

3. Football (american). eleven players a side, scoring determined by entry into end zone with ball (6 points) or set kick from the field (3 points). four quarters of 15 mintues each, with clock stoppage for scores, change of possession, and ball out of play. The most byzantine sport in the way of rules, teams may advance ball by running on ground until tackled ("rushing") and throwing ball forward to a teammate ("passing"), with play continuing until the ball carrier is tackled or enters endzone. possession is lost when the ball is dropped ("fumble") and picked up by an opponent, a pass is stolen by an opponent ("interception") or a team fails to move the ball forward 10 yards in four plays ("Dallas Cowboys").
    When Played: August - January
    Greatest Players: Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor
    Greatest Teams: San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers
    Badger's Take: I gave soccer a chance and liked it...the least you Brits could do is return the favor.

4. Basketball. five players a side, scoring determined by ball entering hoop (foul shot = 1 point, field goal = 2, long distance goal = 3). Four periods of 12 minutes each, clock stoppage for play stoppage. ball advanced by passing and bouncing ball upcourt ("dribbling"). Once picked up, ball must be passed or shot. team has 24 seconds to shoot once ball possession is gained.
    When Played: October - June
    Greatest Players: Micheal Jordan, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson
    Greatest Teams: Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls
    Badger's Take: the college (amatuer) leagues are WAAAAY more entertaining.

5. Hockey. six players a side. Scoring determined as in soccer. flat rubber disk ("puck") is advanced up ice with curved sticks. Played on ice. the speed of the sport lends itself to some GREAT collisions, and then fights.
    When Played: October - June
    Greatest Players: Wayne Gretzky, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, Patrick Roy (pronounced "wah")
    Greatest Teams: Edmonton Oilers, Montreal Canadiens, Detroit Red Wings
    Badger's Take: Either you like it or you don't...and shut up if you don't.

6. Rubgy. 15 players a side. takes the best parts of soccer and football and throws out the less active elements. 80 minutes, no stoppages. Scoring by entering end zone (5 points) or kicks from field (3 points). ball advanced by running or kicking. if a player is tackled, he/she must surrender ball behind them. ball may be thrown laterally or behind a player.
    When Played: year round
    Greatest Players: Damned if I know...
    Greatest Teams: All-Blacks (New Zealand), Wallabies (Australia), Springboks (South Africa)
    Badger's Take: Oy! and any sport that makes Frenchbabyface smile is all good with me.

7. Auto Racing. "I bet my car goes faster than yours" a sport is born...
    When Played: February - October
    Greatest Players: Dale Earnhardt, Alex Schumacher, Mario Andretti, Richard Petty
    Badger's Take: Yeeha! "Look out, Stewart's trying to pass ya low!"

• confusedjw
    confusedjw
    Greatest Teams: New York Yankees, St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Dodgers

WHERE ARE THE RED SOX IN THIS LIST!

Greatest Teams: RED SOX, St. Louis Cardinals, Los Angeles Dodgers

Thank you.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    Greatest Teams: San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots, Pittsburgh Steelers

Ahhh, the seventies.... if only I had been alive to savor it.

Death to New England. Buncha pantywaists!

CZAR

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

SeeYa next year Czar.

Go PATRIOTS a Dynasty.

ps. I think that Kordell is still available.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

... ... BigTex ... Haven't seen this advertising !!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit