Could some-one please explain American football to me!

by Zep 62 Replies latest social physical

• Zep
    Zep

I get all that stuff about downs and 10yards, and about kicking the ball through the goals and all. But, having never played gridiron/American football, there is one thing I just dont get everytime I watch the bleedin' game. I have played Australian football(aussie rules) and Rugby league. In these two games there is a lot of passing; you get the ball and you pass it, more often than not, rather than get tackled. BUT in American footy, a guy on the line of scrimmage gets the ball and throws it through his legs to another guy who then throws it to another guy who never ever passes it. I'm always sitting there and wondering why this guy never passes it off to someone running passed or to someone on his own who could run it in for a try. Is it against the rules to pass it more than 2 times or something...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Zep:It's almost exactly like rugby, but with pansy-ass pads!

Apparently they can pass, but prefer to touch one-another up...
    ...or is that touch-down???

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

it's Rugby for sissies ( ... I'm teasing you) but still why all those stuffs to protect themself or appear bigger cause (THEY ARE BIG ALREADY) they take the same risk ... their helmet is actually dangerous you can break their neck easely with that

I like to see once in a while Rugby and somehow american football because it looks very virile ... what I like the most is when the herb know together to hide the ball while trying to get it ... and when they throw themself in the mud .... awwwwwwwwwwwww and for some reasons Rugbyman always have pretty a$$es

Eddited to add : Read Knock together (and not know) pffffffffffffff ... sorry

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

Sorry Zep, I have no clue. I've watched football games - rather unwillingly at times, and one of the reasons I married doc was b/c he doesn't watch football (seriously) - and it makes no sense to me. Really, none at all. If your kid behaved this way, you'd have a fit, and yet we pay huge men tons of money to tackle each other for really no apparent reason. Hmm. Of course, I do like to watch hockey, which I do suppose rather makes me a hypocrite, doesn't it? But hey, the men in hockey are *so* much more attractive:

Juraj Gracik

Kitties (of the "well fine, now you know why I go to hockey games!" class)

• under74
    under74

Zep- I believe you're talking about a "running back" ....he's the....how to put this in witness terms?.....

....the annointed one

Well, anyone who gots a better idea of explaining this jump in...

• Zep
    Zep

UNDER74: The guy who throws the ball is the quater back, I think. He throws it to a running back(the guys who always tries to score a touch down)????. WHY doesn't the running back pass the ball a little more? IS it against the rules, or bad strategy, or is the running back just ball hog(greedy)?

• under74
    under74

I don't think it's against the rules for the running back to throw it to someone else.....could be ball hogism or that it's not in the play decided on before hand.....also if he has the best chance of moving the ball up then he wouldn't throw it to someone behingd him....

Honestly though I've never been that much into football because it takes so damn long for something to happen.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Actually to be honnest I've got interested in Rubgy because my ex boss and a friend of my boss was playing Rugby on 1st division and then came for his course for college where I was working : SEBASTIEN VIARS so I got to know him closer ... the guy is very nice with girls and guys too all the reverse of my boss who need to play the rooster !!! LOL ... Both very handsome ... But Sebastien is very respectious and don't play game, he is even a bit shy (very cute) - married and faithfull that's more than sexy !!! I can't tell to who Sebastien VIARS is looking but actually Now that I remember the name of the actor my ex boss is looking like Rutger Hauwer (not sure of the spelling - but he played in a movie with Harrisson Ford I think "Running Man" and it is the guy who was playing the Robot almost very same face with Paul Newnam's bit features to - same body as Rutger !!!) they look very alike and I even thing they have the same roots (my ex boss if from poland) ...

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Once you either run or pass the ball past the line of scrimmage (where all those fat guys line up and center hikes the ball to the Quarterback) you can't then pass the ball.

You CAN toss it behind or laterally, but that is considered very dangerous because if it isn't caught its a "live ball" and anyone can jump on it from either team. Plus the guys are so fast the time it takes to set up a lateral is not worth it.

The other important thing you need to know is that the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS ARE AMERICA'S TEAM!

• under74
    under74

Ah, thanks for clarifying it all Confused. Like I said I've never been that into it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit