I don't think God is fair./what do u think?

by wednesday 80 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wednesday
    wednesday

My therapist and I talked about the Bible, specifically, Adam and Eve and their sinning by eating from the forbidden fruit. He says it is really a great lesson on consequences of your actions. I agreed and we talked at some length about it, but one thing I decided, God was not fair. How could Adam and Eve, with only limited knowledge, be expected to make a decison that ultimely cost them their life? I know God said they would die, but they were as children and how many children really understand consequences? It seemed like a simple test, but think about it. God was asking them to remain as children and never have the knowledge He had. Who would want to spend their life as children , content with their parents taking care of them?

any comments?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I dont take the story of Adam and Eve to be literal. I think of it as a nice little tale of a creator who didnt get it quite right and decides to blame his creation for his folly, copied and expounded on by jewish nomads from other myths of that time. Now dont think I dont believe in God, I just dont think my belief requires that I believe everything to be literally true in that book we know as the bible.

Josie

• wednesday
    wednesday

mrsjones, neither does my therapist. he did say it was a good story and he thought provided a concept of consequences. Whether u believe them to be literal or not, do u think that God in the story was being fair?

• Brummie
    Brummie

On the surface it does appear unfair wednesday, however there is a lot missing from the account, like how many times were they told not to take from the tree, how many years between creation and the actual partaking? There's a lot of various interpretations, I think we need to look at various viewpoints and reach our own conclusions. Interesting thread.

((((hugs)))))

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I don't think of it as unfair, but more like unreasonable. Basing eternal life or not on such a simplistic test.

What's unfair is letting their as yet unborn children suffer for their mistake. No dented breadpan illustration explains how if a father steals a car, you lock his whole family away. That's just idiotic.

Dave

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hm yes I think it was unfair.

In raising my kids i believe in avoidance. If i tell them not to touch something and leave it where they can get it you best believe the little darlings will touch it and move it and possiblely break it. So in raising kids wouldn't it be better just to place the item you don't want them to touch away somewhere where they cant get it? It makes life so much easier, less stress on me and less yelling at the kids.

So in my mind no the god (father) of the Adam and Eve wasnt being a good parent and why didnt he know or think that maybe his children would be tempted to touch what was forbidden since he's supposed to know all?

Hm

Josie

• upside/down
    upside/down
    with only limited knowledge, be expected to make a decison that ultimely cost them their life?

You assume way too much.

how many children really understand consequences?

Children?

God was asking them to remain as children and never have the knowledge He had. Who would want to spend their life as children , content with their parents taking care of them?

Assume, assume, assume...

Did it make you feel better to come to the conclusion that "God" is large, in-charge and out to get you?

Why is your therapist discussing philosophy of the fairness of the Almighty and not YOU? Your time and money would be better spent discussing philosophy HERE on JWD and using you therapy time dealing with the here and now. IMO- strictly.

To answer you question... "God" isn't fair from a human standpoint... that's why I think there's more to the picture than meets the eye. It's a CSI kinda thing to me. The evidence will eventually be revealed and tell the truth.

Good luck

u/d

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Wed,

No I don't think the god in the story was fair. If they had to eat of the tree of knowledge to know what good and bad was,,this would imply that before eating this fruit that didn't know what good and bad was. My point is if they had limited mental capacity to distingish the difference then why punish them if they didn't know any better. It like killing your children for common mistakes children make simply because they didn't know enough to make the right choice.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Adam was perfect, and didn't the good book say he walked with God, and even spoke with God. You can't blame things on everyone else all the time. If anyone should have showed Accountability, it was Adam. He didn't.

Scoob

• wednesday
    wednesday
    Assume, assume, assume...

Did it make you feel better to come to the conclusion that "God" is large, in-charge and out to get you?

Why is your therapist discussing philosophy of the fairness of the Almighty and not YOU? Your time and money would be better spent discussing philosophy HERE on JWD and using you therapy time dealing with the here and now. IMO- strictly.

Well I asked for your opinion but as to my therapy, please be assured my doc is a PHD and I did not ask for your opinion about my therapy. It was a lively and intersting discussion and consequences do relate to therapy. we just chose to use the story of adam and eve.It's my dime so I guess I'll make the decisions about my time.

I see adam and eve as children b/c they had litttle life experience.Also it appears God was treating them as children.

Istarted this thread for opinions and views.

thanks for your opinion regarding the subject.

weds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit