What would have to change for you to come back?

by _Atlas 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seedy3
    seedy3

Jebus would have to come to me, in person (no dreams no visions, I get those with enough Nutmeg in my cerial) and tell me himself that he really is who the bible says he is and that the WTS is his BOrg on earth, until such time I remain a total unbeliever.

Seedy

• rebel8
    rebel8

Interesting thread! It would take an awful lot for me to go back:

1) After being in the Borg, I have a strong aversion to participating in organized religion. Therefore, they would need to disassemble themselves entirely.

2) The JWs would have to be totally respectful of each individual's varying interpretations of the mysteries of the universe, including any varying religious or philosophical beliefs, as long as they are not harmful to others. (This, of course, would require them to change their name from JWs to something neutral.)

3) The JWs would have to eliminate all their rules.

4) The JWs would have to issue personal apologies to me and all who were mistreated. Then, they would have to publicly apologize to everyone, admit they have been wrong about everything, settle all valid lawsuits against them, sell all their assets, and use the proceeds to create resources to help those who were wronged to heal.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

nice list rebel.

I would like to add:

bring back all who have died due to their silly "no blood" rule.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I would return to the JW faith if they (you ready for my wish-list?):

1. Would stop being a cult.
    2. Would halt door-to-door preaching in favour of less, um, annoying methods of conversion.
    3. Would remove infalibility of the GB.
    4. Would acknowledge that the GB are not God's mouthpiece on earth and are just a bunch of guys doing guy type stuff.
    5. Would remove the stupid, baseless rules like beards, appropirate dress to the KH, blood transfusions and the like.
    6. Would stop using the NWT as it is a biased translation of the bible.
    7. Would do good in the community.
    8. Would encourage open discussion at book-study groups.
    9. Would reexamine all doctrines with an unbiased perspective.
    10. Would change doctrines if real "new light" (such as new scientific discoveries or research) was brought forth instead of sticking to what they have written.

Ok. I'm bored now. That's a start. Once that is done, come back and we'll chat about some more.

Kwin

• Liberty II
    Liberty II

No reforms or changing could get me to go back to Watchtowerism. After years of careful study it is clear to me that the entire Organization is structured on pure fantasy. The entire belief system and all that grows from it is such utter nonsense that to really reform it would mean that it would no longer exist at all. The contradictions, logic gaps, and mental gymnastics required to understand the things which make a Jehovah's Witness unique are beyond any reasonable scope. They will not take blood transfusions even unto death, yet eat unkoshered meat using the very scripture which demands that they eat koshered meat as the basis for the no transfusion policy when blood transfusion did not even exist at the time the scripture was written! They claim to be "spirit directed" by Ol' Jehover himself yet blunder and change important doctrines over & over again which must be belived as the direct word of God until they change their minds again. "Truth" which could mean a person's death at one time becomes "Old Light" which overtime is not even worth keeping in print. The most unique aspects of the whole JW system have been proven by time to be completely and utterly false without question. The WT Society claims and has claimed over and over again that they know directly from Jehovah's "spirit direction" that we are living in the End Times, yet for well over 100 years NOTHING they have predicted has ever come true. It is not even possible to defend such blatent falsness when time itself is the objective measure of the limits they put on their own predictions. The "spirit direction" of Bubbles the chimp could produce a better track record in End Times preperations.

All of this being said even without going after the Bible which makes up the tiny remainder of what would be left of the JW belief system. At best, the JWs would look like a mainstream Christian religion even if it were strictly "Bible based". Since the Bible itself is so full of absolute nonsense and logic defying contradiction that it belies the possibility of an intellegent Creator being responsible for its authorship and thus making JWism unappealing to me even as a mainstream religion. The reality of living my life for the psychopathic and sadistic murderering God of the Bible is also very unappealing to me. I prefer my Universe as a Godless & uncaring void rather than accept that the horrors I see are the results of "Intellegent Design".

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

They would have to become the Unitarian Universalists. Even then I'd probably only show up once in a while.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

A lobotomy.
    Nothing less would do.

They don't even know how to tack, without doing 180* turns...

• blondie
    blondie
    A lobotomy.
    Nothing less would do.

Good answer, Little Toe.

Blondie

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink
    A lobotomy.
    Nothing less would do.

Perfect answer.

I would never return, no matter what.

• unique1
    unique1

1. Get rid of the 1914 doctrine, it is obviously WRONG!

2. Stop shunning. If someone decides they don't want to be a witness anymore that should be ok.

3. Become true christians and promote being loving and caring to everyone, not just your own. Be charitable.

4. Allow open discussion on bible matters. They have been wrong before, but they allow no open discussion to possibly avoid other wrong thinking. Just Psycho.

5. Choosing some things with pagan backgrounds as bad and others as ok. It should be a personal choice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit