Anyone vegetarian and why??????????

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

I'm not vegetarian. Being Italian and brought up on the Mediterranian diet I tend to eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, cheese, pasta, rice and some meat.

I'm just curious to know who here is vegeterian and why?????

Cheers, Bliss

• kitties_and_horses_oh_my!
    kitties_and_horses_oh_my!

I've been a vegetarian a few times, about 6 months each time. I really want to go back to being one, but a few things keep me from it:

- it's expensive if you have to eat quick vegetarian food like boca burgers and stuff

- people get pissed when you're a vegetarian, as if you're saying you're better than them

- even if they don't get pissed, I feel like I'm inconveniencing people with my "picky dietary restrictions" - people get hurt if you don't eat their mother's famous italian sausage lasagna, or say you're causing problems if you can't find anything to eat at the local fast food restaurant they always want to stop at, etc.

- people always want to moralize the topic: "you're not really making a difference" - "we're made to eat meat" etc. etc. etc. They don't seem to get that I'm not expecting to change the world, I just feel better knowing I'm not stuffing my mouth with some poor dead carcas of an animal that both lived and died in pain.

I try to eat as little meat as possible and I buy the eggs that are from vegetarian-fed, cage-free hens. I do want to go back to being a vegetarian, but I swear, it's exhausting arguing with people who feel compelled to change your mind. It's not like I would ever even tell people about it, they just would endlessly question me about why I wasn't eating hamburger, etc.

Kitties - of the "refused to eat dinner at the age of five because she found out it was rabbit" class

P.S. - I know my spelling is awful, I'm too tired to care, sorry!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I'm heavily into fruit and vegatables and usually eat very little meat but every now and then I pig out on sea food raw prefered.

• MonkeyPrincess
    MonkeyPrincess

Im not vegetarian, but i do like to take a meat break every once in a while.

I am, on the other hand, highly allergic to dairy, so i cannot have anything
    that contains milk. No chocolate, No candy, No regular butter... ect, ect..
    So, going out to eat sometimes poses a challenge. I sometimes have to ask
    the waiter to ask the cook if there is any dairy in this or that.
    I was at a restaurant recently and i could not eat the fruit pie because it was
    made with milk.. which is strange because usually fruit pies dont have milk.
    I drink soy milk, and use it to make our dinners and desserts. But boy, do
    i ever miss eating chocolate!!!

MonkeyPrincess

• holly
    holly

im a vegetarian. i dont like the tast of meat anymore but i became a veggie because of modern farming methods. i dont like the way we treat our animals - not particularly against killing them for food, but ive seen and heard some pretty horrific things. i used to work near a turkey farm for a short while. they used to pack the turkeys up ready to send of for slaughter. they would pack them live into little boxes, bending their heads down to shove as many in as possible. it made me ill to watch it. it was that and things like that, that stopped me eating meat.

i also buy my eggs from a farm where i can see the chickens running about. it costs a bit more but at least i know im not contributing battery farming of chickens.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Holly,

I know of a lot of nice vegetarians that do it not only for health reasons but for their love of animals. I need to be more sensitive which is happening gradually,,I think I have come a long way in my respect for other creatures and will probably go alot further in time. We need to think more about cruelty to other species which support the enviroment that we rape every day due to this aquisitive natures we have as humans with an over active ego.

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

I've been a vegitarian for nearly 5 years. at the time I was 22, had just started driving, was putting on a lot of weight (10 pounds in 2 months) and got winded just walking to get the mail. Within a week of starting a vegitarian diet I suddenly had a lot more energy, was able to start exercising, and even though I never took off al the weight at least I never put on any more since. Just to be sure I keep an old pair of pants around that I try on from time to time.

within the last year I've started eating fish now and again though. I guess old habits die hard.

• fairchild
    fairchild

When I found out that the average pig has a life span of 6 months and is being put in a cage where it can't move so that it would get fat in a hurry, I decided to never eat meat again. That was 24 years ago and I'm still vegetarian today.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I'm not vegitarian but I wont eat any form of processed meat or soups, pies etc that have minced meat in them. Oh, and I wont eat sea bugs...blerk

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hi Brummie!

What-exactly-is a sea bug? Can't say as I've ever heard this term!

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit