WTS Official Spin on monthly Awake: 'More emphasis on the Bible!'

by Neo 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Neo
    Neo

The gloom-and-doom wacky online prophet "e-watchman" finally got one of his oracles right. He criticized the Awake's present format in a September 2004 article on his site. Although we disagree with his loony theories, I can say that his comments this time were right on the money. Here's the article:

How to train your dog is the topic of an article in the September 8 th , 2004, Awake magazine. Among other things, such as how to get your dog to sit and stay, the article offers practical advice on how to housebreak a puppy. The Awake even presents its readers with a cleaning tip in case of an "accident." No doubt many readers might find such information timely and helpful; the question, though, is why? Yes, why does a magazine that is supposedly dedicated to "building confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful new world" bother publishing such irrelevant trivia?

To be sure, the "doggy training" article is merely typical of the kind of non-spiritual fluff the Awake routinely publishes. For example, the same issue of Awake also has a two-page article on Japanese natto?described as stringy fermented soybeans. This week, the Watchtower's website features a four-year old article on flight simulators. It is an indisputable fact that the Awake Magazine is predominantly focused on mundane, non-biblical matters, and only occasionally, off-handedly, even refers to the Bible.

The Awake Magazine is presently published, either monthly or semi-monthly, in over 60 languages with a circulation of around 20 million copies. Such an astounding circulation no doubt represents a substantial cost of many millions of dollars per issue. Not only that, but many hundreds of volunteer workers are employed at numerous Bethel printing facilities around the world in order to make the Awake available. And lastly, six million of Jehovah's Witness publishers use their personal resources to distribute the Watchtower and Awake magazines to the reading public.

It is not that the Awake Magazine is not well-written and informative. It is. And no doubt many people enjoy reading it. The question, though, is why should millions of ministers dedicated to the cause of announcing to the world Jehovah's incoming kingdom publish anything that detracts from that all-important message? Should Jehovah's Witnesses even call themselves true ministers of God and Christ when a large part of our ministry revolves around disseminating information that has nothing whatsoever to do with Bible education?

Why should those who are serving as the light of the world concern themselves with enlightening others about such mundane things of the world?

To put things in perspective, can you imagine the apostle Paul expending himself in God's service, even risking his life to preach to people about anything other than Christ? Paul was no doubt a learned man, yet he consciously decided not to know anything else in his ministry other than Christ-impaled. If Paul or the apostles were alive today they would probably be very impressed by our modern methods of printing and distribution, but it is inconceivable that they would degrade their own ministry by publishing pamphlets with information such as how to train your dog.

The Awake Magazine presumably even derives its name from the apostle Paul's various exhortations to awaken from spiritual slumber, but does it really serve that purpose? Perhaps initially it did, but there is little evidence that it serves that purpose now.

Moreover, the Watchtower Society resolutely believes that Christ Jesus began ruling the world in 1914 and that since then Jehovah's Witnesses have been instrumental in announcing God's judgments upon Christendom. Jehovah's Witnesses even believe that the angelic trumpeters of Revelation have used the Awake Magazine's predecessor, the now-defunct Golden Age, to herald God's irreversible condemnatory judgment upon the world. But, how reasonable is that? If the most significant event in the history of the world commenced nearly a century ago in 1914, and supposing the early Bible Students were indeed conduits for issuing Jehovah's fiery proclamations, particularly in the interval from 1922-1928, why is it that now Jehovah's Witnesses no longer denounce Christendom as formerly?

Are we absolutely certain that the angels have already hurled the incense vessel full of the fires of God's judgments down upon the earth? Clearly, something is not right with our present interpretation of Revelation?as well as all other biblical prophecies. The Watchtower has obviously vastly diminished the significance of Christ's actual presence in kingdom power.

The 110 th Psalm speaks of exciting developments in connection with Messiah's kingdom, where we read: "Your people will offer themselves willingly in the day of your military force." Here is something to consider: If 1914 marked the year of the beginning of Jesus Christ's "military force," then why does the glorious king allow his servants to detract from his campaign by publishing Reader's Digest-like pap such as is found in the Awake Magazine?

If billions of lives hang in the balance based upon our reaching them with the message that Christ began ruling in 1914, our publishing anything other than that vital truth is unconscionable.

Surely, when the kingdom actually comes to power and Satan is hurled down from heaven for the final winner-takes-all showdown, Jesus' volunteer army of ministers will not be involved in educating the public how to train their dogs.

• Neo
    Neo

This is ezekiel3's excellent post about the impact that the Awake change will likely make:

Considering the impending change to a monthly Awake! with less fluff and more "focus on the Bible," I was moved to reveal the incredible loss regular readers will soon feel:

g03 3/22 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Hair

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks for the article "Do You Worry About Your Hair?" (August 8, 2002) I am 36 years old, and for some time I have been worrying about slight hair loss and the thinning of my hair. The article helped me to understand that losing some hair every day is natural. Now I feel much more at peace. Do not stop publishing articles like this one!

g02 8/22 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

We especially appreciate the thoughts of people who personally experienced what happened. The statements of survivors brought tears to our eyes. We ask Jehovah to help all who are afflicted and pray that by means of Awake! they might find consolation. Being young, we are encouraged by the questions that cause us to reflect on our way of life and on our priorities. Our wish is that you never stop publishing this magazine.

g99 5/22 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Nightmares

I really appreciated the suggestions in the "Watching the World" item "Children?s Nightmares Common." (September 8, 1998) My children have nightmares, but I?ve always told them not to talk about them but simply to go back to sleep. Now, with the suggestions given, I can better cope with this problem. Please do not stop publishing such helpful information.

*** g95 8/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Burnout These were extraordinary articles for me because I finally recognized my problem. I am a wife, the mother of four children, and have a lot to do. Sadly, I get little appreciation from my family. I feel better knowing that this is a common problem among sensitive people. Never stop publishing articles like these!

*** g02 1/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Safari I am 13 years old, and I really enjoyed reading the article "On Safari in Ghana." (May 8, 2001) I love reading about animals. Please do not stop printing the magazines!

*** g96 3/22 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

Like Doris, who was quoted in the article, I felt unworthy of being God?s friend. I thank Jehovah for providing me with this assistance. It has helped me to understand that if I repent of my bad actions, he is willing to forgive me and be my Friend. I hope you never stop printing these articles for the youths.

*** g82 4/22 p. 28 From Our Readers ***

Robots I am 11 years old and I really liked that article about the robots. I like robots so I decided to read it. I just want you to know that even 11-year-olds like the magazines you print. Please never stop printing those magazines.

• Neo
    Neo

The JWs have an incredible ability to put in their minds a positive spin on negative news about the org so that they avoid the discomfiture caused by the cognitive dissonance.

I recently told a Witness that the Society was downsizing. And then I told her the news that the Awake is going monthly. She still hadn't heard of it and her reaction was priceless! Right after I finished the sentence she said with an agressive tone of voice: "Yes! I think that's good!! Now people won't have an excuse to say that they don't have time to read the magazines!!" Her face showed a kind of judgemental attitude, revealing her insatisfaction with the fact that her brothers and sisters cannot manage reading all the magazines. It's impressive how Witnesses train their minds to avoid admitting anything negative about the WT leadership.

Here's another dub reaction on the Awake moving to monthly publishing:

What a marvelous change and blessing for Jehovah's people and those still seeking a relationship with Jehovah. I personally have had a difficult time keeping up with my reading as it is. This could make the Awake more like a brochere that focus on currect topic's and events that affect the world.
    It also makes us more flexible

This is great news.

This comment in found in the Touchstone Forum, where a number of active JWs post. Read this and other comments in the following thread:

http://www.touchstoneforum.com/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID2/1081.html

Neo

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I could not contain my glee when the kms were passed out sunday. You know this is a win/win for the wbts. People are going to place nearly as many awakes in the formal ministry and half as many on the magazine route RVs.

Id think the drop in awake placements, while noticable wont affect awake production much. People will still order as many awakes as watchtowers so they have mates to the watchtowers for door to door and still pay -- er donate for them.

Even if they cut their awake orders, they will probably donate the same monthly amount to the wwwork. What you want to bet that we see an increase in km articles saying "set aside your donations on a monthly basis, the donations to the wwwork arent just to print liturature" Maybe even "ordering less awakes is no excuse in its self to donate less" 2 Corinthians 8:13-15.

IPSec

• JT
    JT

Find

Company Products & Services News Contact Offices Imprint Disclaimer Internal
    Exhibitions Picture Archive Technical Articles

Seven LITHOMAN presslines for Watchtower Society

Multinational, large-scale order for MAN Roland and Intergrafica Print & Pack (IPP)

The international religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses has recently ordered seven LITHOMAN presslines from MAN Roland, to be installed in its printing plants in Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, England, Japan (one press each) and the USA (two presses). Delivery of the order running in the middle of tens of million Euros are expected to take place from July 2003.

Almost 80 years of cooperation between Watchtower and MAN Roland
    With the biggest single order of this customer to date, MAN Roland continues the series of international successes in its cooperation with the Watchtower Society over a period of nearly eighty years by now: in 1927, Watchtower USA ordered the first letterpress machine from MAN Roland. A second press followed in 1929. By 1976, about 30 MAN Roland presses had been installed in the United States alone. This made Watchtower the biggest customer worldwide for MAN Roland at that time.

Watchtower production now standardized worldwide with LITHOMAN
    Since 1984, Watchtower in Italy and the US has been working with a total of five 32-page LITHOMAN presslines. The positive experience with these machines has now led to the decision to use this press type worldwide. That means printing quality on the highest level worldwide. The new, single-web systems in 64-page configuration operate at speeds up to 45,000 cylinder revolutions per hour and with a web width of 1,480 millimetres. They are uniformly equipped with 2:5:5 folder.

Publications with multimillion circulations
    In future, the new Watchtower LITHOMAN presses will be producing a large propoprtion of the high-circulation publications such as The Watchtower with a circulation of just under 25 million copies in 146 languages and Awake with a momentary circulation of 22 million copies in 86 languages. In addition, the machines are intended for use in the production of bibles or books of biblical exegesis, each in multimillion circulation.

More capacity and quality, positive synergies
    The new LITHOMAN presses markedly reduce the age average of the Watchtower machinery, thus considerably increasing overall productivity. Another important advantage will result from the close cooperation of the individual Watchtower printing plants, which produce largely the same products. When production will eventually be run on presses of the same type, Watchtower will benefit further because of synergies such as positive cost effects.

Apart from a substantial capacity increase, Watchtower expects maximum availability and reliability, high net output, excellent printing quality and high efficiency to result from the new LITHOMAN machinery, while it looks forward to continuing and intensifying the cooperation with MAN Roland as its partner in printing and press technology.

Caption:

Configuration of the LITHOMAN from MAN Roland for the Watchtower Society. The religious organization of Jehovah's Witnesses ordered seven presslines in 64-page configuration.

News
    Premiere with Ferag in Malaysia
    As the first IPP customer in Malaysia, Utusan Melayu (Malaysia) Berhad has decided in favour of state-of-the-art mailroom technology from Ferag.

more...

MAN Roland Makes Sure For More
    Added Value: Controlling Costs With LCM

more...

A Wide Range For A Diversified Marketplace
    Applications: Small Format Technology Forum focused on the technology and economic advantages of the segment

more...

Intergrafica Print & Pack GmbH, Hohenzollernstrasse 24, 45128 Essen, Germany, [email protected]
  • JT
    JT

Search:

About Printingtalk

How to add your news

How to advertise

Request the FREE Printingtalk
    email newsletter from the Editor

About Printingtalk ? Add your news ? Advertise

Browse all News by date
    News from 2004

Browse all News by manufacturer
    News from Weko UK

Browse all News by product category
    News in Printing Presses Ancillary Equipment

Case study/Application note from Weko UK
    Date: 20 February 2004 ? Company contact details

Weko Improves Productivity For Jehovah

Weko has supplied an RFS remoistening system to the Jehovah's Witness print centre in London in the first of seven Weko installations in the organisation's print facilities around the world.

Editor's note: Readers of the free Printingtalk weekly email newsletter will have read this news the week it was announced. Click here to request to be added to the circulation.
    Weko has supplied an RFS remoistening system to the Jehovah's Witness print centre in London in the first of seven Weko installations in the organisation's print facilities around the world.
    The Weko-RFS at the group's UK print centre is integrated into a 64ppm, MAN Roland Lithoman IV web press to replace moisture lost in the drying process.
    The addition of the Weko-RFS unit allows printed material to recover its natural moisture after leaving the dryer - thereby restoring the original characteristics of the paper.
    The Weko-RFS alleviates problems associated with dry-out to improve productivity and quality.
    The MAN Roland Lithoman IV with Weko-RFS is currently printing both the 'Watchtower' and 'Awake', two official publications of the Jehovah's Witnesses.
    Each thirty-two-page publication is printed in 148 languages.
    Three languages are printed on the MAN of which 1.1 million copies a week are in English.
    Peter Bell, the organisation's print centre co-ordinator, explained: 'The MAN Roland IV contributes to our overall print capability of around 3.2 million copies a week and usually prints around 90,000 magazines an hour.
    At that kind of capacity, we don't want to be inconvenienced by problems with dried-out, brittle paper which might ultimately jam or break the web and lead to unwanted press downtime.' The remoistening features of the Weko-RFS also eradicates problems associated with the build up of static electricity, he added, thereby removing concerns about problems in the folding unit, added Bell.
    Stacks of finished magazines were also much flatter because of the remoistening system.
    The growth of pages after finishing is also avoided as sufficient moisture is added to prevent the paper from absorbing further humidity from the atmosphere.
    'We print on MFC 54gsm wood-based papers and would typically lose around 10mm of web width on our other presses that aren't fitted with the Weko unit.
    That is avoided as the paper is effectively being re-conditioned and shrinkage is compensated for, so we hardly lose any width at all,' commented Bell.
    The system works by moistening each side of the web with an applicator unit, consisting of a rotor carrier with a number of rotors or spray plates that correspond to the working width.
    The rotors spray a fine fan of moisture onto a precision rubber roller, which in turn presses the damping fluid into the paper web, using a pre-defined amount of pressure.
    The amount of moisture that is transferred can be set according to requirements.

? Search this site for:

? See contact details for Weko UK and other news
    ? Email this news to a colleague

Visit the other Pro-Talk websites: Electronicstalk, Engineeringtalk, Manufacturingtalk, Subcontractingtalk, CIMtalk, Industrialsafetytalk, Processingtalk, Laboratorytalk, QA-talk, Buildingtalk, and others
    Printingtalk Home ? About Printingtalk ? How to get your news published here for free ? How to advertise ? Request the FREE weekly Printingtalk email newsletter

• JT
    JT

"Admit it; if you are into astronomy and the Awake has an article on the Hubble Space Telescope, would you read it? If you want to visit Prague, and they have an article on Prague, would you read it? If you've been thinking about repainting your living room, and the Awake has an article on painting, would you read it? Now, who here wonders about Meshibosheth on the plains of Moab and how that factors into our day? Who wants to read an article on Oholiab's journey to Kiriath-jearim and how we should follow in his footsteps?"

#######

U-R- A- FOOL!!! -smile

it is meant in a good way,-- i love it, --this post is so true and so good, i could help but laugh as i thought of all the presentations that conductors put together based on the awake due to the wt being so deep and mind numbing

your post is great, in fact i just emailed some of my buddies, they will love it cause it is so true

like like that part "Admit it"

• willyloman
    willyloman
    The gloom-and-doom wacky online prophet "e-watchman" finally got one of his oracles right. He criticized the Awake's present format in a September 2004 article on his site. Although we disagree with his loony theories, I can say that his comments this time were right on the money.

His essay was priceless; thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit