WTS Official Spin on monthly Awake: 'More emphasis on the Bible!'

by Neo 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Neo
    Neo

Great comments, everyone.

jws,

I like the way you put things. The WT decision brings too many downsides to list.

• Make it more biblical? That's exactly why I used to like it was that it was less biblical. Fewer JWs will want to read it. Or it will overload them.
      • People need something that's not all bible, all the time. If they don't find it from the witnesses, they might watch real educational programs. This can lead to becoming educated and falling away.
      • Householders don't want to read the heavier biblical stuff. That means less magazines sold & read, less people being duped, declining JW population, repeat downward spiral.
      • The whole magazine pairing issue will be a constant source of confusion. The two have been paired forever.
      • JWs will be less likely to do return visits with just the new Watchtower so it throws the whole 2 week schedule of a magazine route off. Less frequent return visits means it's harder to make a convert.

undercover,

Have you ever known a magazine to cut down circulation or quit when the readership was increasing or staying steady? To cut back to half what it was and change the format means trouble in WTland.

Perfect synopsis of the whole issue.

MungoBaobab,

I loved your post.

With the members of the GB slowly becoming extinct, maybe there's some fear that the JWs as an organization will lose their focus. (...) This could be a last-ditch attempt to preserve the Society's "spiritual integrity" by reshifting the focus back to the "fire-and-brimestone" approach of the Watchtower. Big mistake.

I don't think they were thinking on this level when they made the decision. They were thinking of money, primarily. And also that it's a lot easier to produce and translate a "Bible-oriented" mag. The focus shift was the excuse they came up with to make it look good to the rank-and-file. I'll comment it further later.

If you want to visit Prague, and they have an article on Prague, would you read it? If you've been thinking about repainting your living room, and the Awake has an article on painting, would you read it? Now, who here wonders about Meshibosheth on the plains of Moab and how that factors into our day? Who wants to read an article on Oholiab's journey to Kiriath-jearim and how we should follow in his footsteps?

ROFLOL!! You crack me up!

• Neo
    Neo

carefully faded,

Reading the KM article caused me to imagine the presentation during the Service Meeting:
    • Speaker: "Thank you Brother so-and-so for reading the first paragraph. OK, this is a fill-in-the-blank question . . . The first issue of the Golden Age was published (blank)? OK, little Timmy in the back of the hall". Timmy (listening to his mother whisper the answer five times in his ear): "uh . . . October 1st . . . uh 1919"

What makes it even funnier is that this article has got questions in the bottom just like those!! For example:

• What is today's name of The Golden Age?
      • The Awake! is a powerful tool in the fulfillment of what prophecy? [you can guess: Mat 24:14...]
      • How often will the Awake! be published now?

Talk about dumbing down! The WT recently started printing questions on the KM because the elders don't have the simple ability to formulate them!

AlanF,

Nice analysis, Neo.

Thanks, Alan.

funkyderek,

As I prophesied, so it has come to pass

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/83364/1382061/post.ashx#1382061

Sounds like we are much better prophets than the WTS! I got my prediction right too!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/83364/1365358/post.ashx#1365358

I'll comment metatron's post later when I get time,

Neo

• jellybelly
    jellybelly
    It will be a considerable simplification in preparation, translation and delivery of our publications."

I think this is the clincher: This says it will save us considerable money and labour costs.

As far as the RV's go I think the publishers will visit once a month and deliver the 3 magazines at once. 2 Watchtowers and 1 AWAKE! for a contribution of $2 seems fair. Thats definately what I would do.

• Neo
    Neo

jwsons has provided us a scan of the KM article in English:

Neo

• Neo
    Neo

Download the entire March Kingdom Ministry! (3.5 MB, PDF file)

http://members.cox.net/captainschmideo/km-E_US_3-05-March%202005.pdf

Thanks, CaptainSchmideo!

Neo

• AlanF
    AlanF

Here's a text version of the KM:

*=======*=======*=======*=======*=======*=======*=======*
    From Our Kingdom Ministry, March 2005, For United States of America, km-E Us 3/05 Vol. 48, No. 3

More Emphasis on the Bible!

1 On October 1, 1919, the first issue of the magazine The Golden Age was published. It proved to be a most valuable tool in the preaching work. Why? Because it was specially designed for the public. That was not the case with The Watchtower, which for many years was viewed as a magazine largely for the "little flock." (Luke 12:32) Kingdom publishers responded with such enthusiasm to the new publication that for many years the circulation of The Golden Age was far in excess of that of The Watchtower.

2 The magazine The Golden Age was published to show people that the real solution to mankind's problems is Christ's Millennial Reign, which will truly usher in a golden age for humankind. In succeeding decades a number of adjustments were made to The Golden Age to meet the changing needs of the times. In 1937 its name was changed to Consolation. In 1946 it became Awake!, the name we know it by today.

3 From its beginning, this magazine has contributed mightily to the great witness that has been given since 1919. (Matt. 24:14) However, in view of the urgency of our times, it seems wise to make further adjustments to Awake!

4 Millions of people enjoy reading Awake! because it covers a wide variety of secular topics in an appealing way. No doubt the majority of those who attend the Memorial each year are regular readers of Awake! Still, if anyone hopes to be concealed in "the day of Jehovah's anger," he will need help to do more than be a regular reader of our publications. -- Zeph. 2:3; Rev. 14:6, 7.

5 Hence, from January 2006, Awake! will place greater emphasis on God's Kingdom. It will encourage readers more straightforwardly to look to the Bible for the solutions to their problems and will highlight more prominently the Bible's explanation of current events. In this way, readers will get a better understanding of current events and perhaps be moved by what they read to learn more about Jehovah. -- Zech. 8:23.

6 Awake! will continue to feature topics of general interest. However, more emphasis will be laid on the Bible. (1 Thess. 2:13) Since The Watchtower contains deep Biblical information and Awake! will feature more material that is Scriptural in nature, it does not seem necessary to continue publishing Awake! twice a month. Therefore, beginning with its January 2006 issue, Awake! will be published as a monthly magazine. This will result in considerable simplification in the preparation, translation, and shipping of our literature.

7 This change will affect about 40 percent of the languages in which Awake! is published. In most languages, Awake! is already a monthly or a quarterly publication. There will be no change in the publication of The Watchtower.

8 Publishers may offer each month's Awake! with either issue of The Watchtower for that month. Those who feature Awake! will be able to use the same issue all through the month without having to change their presentation in the middle of the month, as at present.

9 Since its first issue back in 1919, the magazine successively known as The Golden Age, Consolation, and now Awake! has played a major role in the preaching work. We pray that Jehovah will continue to bless the distribution of the magazine in its revised format and that it will help many more people out of "all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues" to turn to God's Kingdom as their only hope. -- Rev. 7:9.

1. Originally, for whom was The Watchtower primarily published, and for whom The Golden Age?
    2. What is the name of The Golden Age today, and what has been its purpose from the beginning?
    3. Awake! has been a powerful tool in the fulfillment of what prophecy?
    4. (a) What does a person need to do if he is to be concealed in "the day of Jehovah's anger"? (b) According to Revelation 14:6, 7, what does the "angel flying in midheaven" call on all to do?
    5. (a) Starting with the Awake! of January 2006, what will be featured more prominently? (b) What may many be moved to do, and in fulfillment of what prophecy?
    6, 7. (a) How will Awake! seek to help many to apply 1 Thessalonians 2:13? (b) How frequently will Awake! be published, and how many languages will be affected by the change?
    8. How may publishers use Awake! along with The Watchtower?
    9. What role will Awake! continue to play?
    *=======*=======*=======*=======*=======*=======*=======*

AlanF

• Pole
    Pole

Just look at the manipulative follow-up questions. They're great to make sure every dub got it "right".

Pole

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

I wonder how many dubs that went to college freaked out when there were no handy follow up questions at the bottom of the page to help them know what to say.

It seems to me that about the last thing the society wants is to place more emphasis on the bible, because if you read it, really read it in context it raises more questions for a JW than it answers.

• Pole
    Pole

I have a few questions ;@)

1. Originally, for whom was The Watchtower primarily published, and for whom The Golden Age?

2. What is the name of The Golden Age today, and what has been its purpose from the beginning?

3. Awake! has been a powerful tool in the fulfillment of what prophecy?

4. (a) What does a person need to do if he is to be concealed in "the day of Jehovah's anger"? (b) According to Revelation 14:6, 7, what does the "angel flying in midheaven" call on all to do?

5. (a) Starting with the Awake! of January 2006, what will be featured more prominently? (b) What may many be moved to do, and in fulfillment of what prophecy?

6, 7. (a) How will Awake! seek to help many to apply 1 Thessalonians 2:13? (b) How frequently will Awake! be published, and how many languages will be affected by the change?

8. How may publishers use Awake! along with The Watchtower?

9. What role will Awake! continue to play?

Pole
    Pole

• Neo
    Neo

I'm including in this thread some other contributions to the discussion collected from around the forum and the Net so that they can be found in a single location.

The following notes are AlanF's comments on the Awake article:

> More Emphasis on the Bible!

Yeah, right.

> 1 On October 1, 1919, the first issue of the magazine The Golden Age was published. It proved to be a most valuable tool in the preaching work. Why? Because it was specially designed for the public.

Uh huh. It soon published many articles advertising the many benefits of the quack device called "the Electronic Radio Biola", which was supposed to be a miracle cure for just about all of mankind's ills. By about 1926, enough lawsuits had been filed against the inventor of this quackery that the Watchtower Society was forced to quit advertising this quack idea. Golden Age published many, many articles advocating all sorts of quackery, such as on the ills of being poisoned by aluminum cookware, the evils of vaccination, and the fact that the entire medical profession was nothing but a bunch of charlatans.

> That was not the case with The Watchtower, which for many years was viewed as a magazine largely for the "little flock." (Luke 12:32)

This is a fine example of the Watchtower Society's penchant for lying while appearing to tell the truth. When The Golden Age was first published in 1919, all of the Bible Students -- those who would today be classified as rank & file members of the cult of Jehovah's Witnesses -- were said to be "anointed" and members of "the little flock". This was, from the very beginning of Charles Taze Russell's teaching career, a fundamental doctrine. So, when the writer of this Awake! article states that The Watchtower was for many years "viewed as a magazine largely for the 'little flock'," it's pretty much a non sequitur. Of course Watchtower leaders were oriented toward the concept of a "little flock" that would ultimately rule all of mankind. They were the ones who would soon begin ruling. The writer is deceiving his readers by implying that the notion of a "little flock" was then the same as it is today -- an exclusive group that doesn't include most JWs.

> Kingdom publishers responded with such enthusiasm to the new publication that for many years the circulation of The Golden Age was far in excess of that of The Watchtower.

In view of the cultural milieu of the 1920s, an increase in the circulation of a goofy magazine like The Golden Age is only to be expected. But because the membership of the Bible Students dropped by about 75% between about 1924 and 1929, it's obvious that the circulation of The Golden Age, along with The Watchtower, suffered greatly. But the writer gives no indication of this. His goal is to put the best possible spin on WTS history by keeping to fuzzy generalities. He keeps to that theme in the rest of the article.

> 2 The magazine The Golden Age was published to show people that the real solution to mankind's problems is Christ's Millennial Reign, which will truly usher in a golden age for humankind.

Uh huh. Promotions for devices like the Electronic Radio Biola certainly did that.

> In succeeding decades a number of adjustments were made to The Golden Age to meet the changing needs of the times. In 1937 its name was changed to Consolation. In 1946 it became Awake!, the name we know it by today.

Actually, this indicates that the reason for the change is not so much to meet the "needs of the times" in terms of the readership, but in terms of Watchtower personnel. By 1946, the editor of Consolation/Golden Age, Clayton J. Woodworth, had become too decrepit to continue the pace of publishing nonsense, so he was put out to pasture and a whole new magazine, with a different focus, was initiated. I think it's the same today. Awake!'s long time editor-in-chief Harry Peloyan is pushing 90 years old, and is likely no longer capable of handling the chores.

> 3 From its beginning, this magazine has contributed mightily to the great witness that has been given since 1919. (Matt. 24:14) However, in view of the urgency of our times, it seems wise to make further adjustments to Awake!

Sure, like Peloyan can't handle it anymore and they can't find someone to replace him.

> 4 Millions of people enjoy reading Awake! because it covers a wide variety of secular topics in an appealing way.

And it presents a good deal of nonsense as if it were truth from God. In my own case, it was some articles in Awake! that finally convinced me that the Society is run by a bunch of idiots.

> No doubt the majority of those who attend the Memorial each year are regular readers of Awake!

More likely, they see the magazine and throw it away.

> Still, if anyone hopes to be concealed in "the day of Jehovah's anger," he will need help to do more than be a regular reader of our publications. -- Zeph. 2:3; Rev. 14:6, 7.

Right, like dedicate oneself to the holy Watchtower organization.

> 5 Hence, from January 2006, Awake! will place greater emphasis on God's Kingdom. It will encourage readers more straightforwardly to look to the Bible for the solutions to their problems and will highlight more prominently the Bible's explanation of current events. In this way, readers will get a better understanding of current events and perhaps be moved by what they read to learn more about Jehovah. -- Zech. 8:23.

I can't wait.

> 6 Awake! will continue to feature topics of general interest. However, more emphasis will be laid on the Bible. (1 Thess. 2:13) Since The Watchtower contains deep Biblical information

Like the nonsensical fulfillment of prophecies in Revelation. Even many of the Witnesses hate that garbage.

> and Awake! will feature more material that is Scriptural in nature,

Like showing why one should believe that when Adam sinned, that automatically changed the nature of some vegetarian animals into predators.

> it does not seem necessary to continue publishing Awake! twice a month. Therefore, beginning with its January 2006 issue, Awake! will be published as a monthly magazine. This will result in considerable simplification in the preparation, translation, and shipping of our literature.

No doubt. Stopping publication altogether would result in considerably more simplification.

> 7 This change will affect about 40 percent of the languages in which Awake! is published. In most languages, Awake! is already a monthly or a quarterly publication. There will be no change in the publication of The Watchtower.

Answering the inevitable question.

> 8 Publishers may offer each month's Awake! with either issue of The Watchtower for that month. Those who feature Awake! will be able to use the same issue all through the month without having to change their presentation in the middle of the month, as at present.

A total non sequitur if I ever heard one.

> 9 Since its first issue back in 1919, the magazine successively known as The Golden Age, Consolation, and now Awake! has played a major role in the preaching work.

A great deal of garbage has been distributed, alright.

> We pray that Jehovah will continue to bless the distribution of the magazine in its revised format and that it will help many more people out of "all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues" to turn to God's Kingdom as their only hope. -- Rev. 7:9.

Yes, Jehovah's blessing is upon the Society's activities, whether it's expanding or contracting.

It's interesting how the Society can't just make a simple announcement about this, but has to couch it in "spiritual" terms. Damage control is right!

AlanF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit