72% Voter Turnout in Iraq

by Elsewhere 91 Replies latest jw friends

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    How would that be different from a western country?

Well, I havn't been raped or tossed off a roof lately for opening my mouth, so it is a *little* better here.

Jean

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

What will be of interest in this scenario is how the 'democratically' elected government in Iraq will react to the Kurds whose aspirations towards autonomy are not only legendary but have been forged in their own blood. As an enormous amount of oil is harvested on Kurd territory we may yet again see the ugly face of democarcy.

HS

• Spartacus
    Spartacus

Historic and great news for the Iraqi people! I think with this first election behind them the Iraqi people can start to put the Saddam regime behind them and look forward to holding government accountable to the people, which is a difficult thing to do but is the only style of government that makes sense. Out of the 22 countries in the Arab League not one of them is a democracy, all are dictatorships, Iraq would be the first Islamic country in that region to become a democracy. I hope for the sake of the world that the Iraqi people are successful, in doing so other regimes in the area would be under pressure to give in to the will of their peoples over the long haul.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    we may yet again see the ugly face of democarcy.

Can you explain this to me? Do you mean that you fear that the newly elected government will use its authority to strip the Kurds of the lions share of profits from wells on their lands?

Jean

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Jeannie,

Can you explain this to me? Do you mean that you fear that the newly elected government will use its authority to strip the Kurds of the lions share of profits from wells on their lands?

The Kurds are at presently under the autonomy of Iraq as a whole. They have long fought Saddam and suffered terribly in order to claim the independence that they once had. At present they have no claim on the oil revenues earned from wells on Iraqi soil, as Kurdistan is presently part of Iraq.

Iraq, under whatever government is elected, cannot allow the Kurds to declare independence without a fight. They cannot afford to lose the oil revenue. Kurdish land is by no means a small land area, it is a significant part of the Iraq land mass.

Best regards - HS

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

While it is true that, historically, Iraqui women have had much better access to medical care, schooling, and more rights than Islamic women as a whole, they still fell under the Islamic Sharia law. I am hoping that with their renewed voting power that women, who make up 55% of the population of Iraq, will vote in more progressive thinking women with education on how to make it even better for them, and that the candidates that are women that will be voted in, and make up 25% of the seats, will be more open to making the government more fair in the ways of equality (which traditionally goes AGAINST Islam... and most Christian fundamental beliefs).

CG

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

thanks, Hillary.

If I'm not mistaken, you stated earlier that you had toured the area extensively. Did you also learn to speak the language?

J

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hi Jeannie,

If I'm not mistaken, you stated earlier that you had toured the area extensively. Did you also learn to speak the language?

No I do not, just enough to order coffee. I have travelled to most of the Middle Eastern states at one time or the other.

HS

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Best I not post after reading roybattys posts as it would most definately cause offense.

Why do people get so easily bent out of shape? I just gave my opinion, so what? I'm not claiming to be Kissenger. Give yours, what's the big deal? Seems like it never stops most on this forum with their anti-US rants.

• Simon
    Simon
    The Kurds are at presently under the autonomy of Iraq as a whole. They have long fought Saddam and suffered terribly in order to claim the independence that they once had. At present they have no claim on the oil revenues earned from wells on Iraqi soil, as Kurdistan is presently part of Iraq.

That's sooo like the Scots in the UK

(if you ask them )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit