72% Voter Turnout in Iraq

by Elsewhere 91 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    As for the UK being classed among Western Democracies, I was not aware. When we speak of western democracy on the forum, it is usually dealing with American democracy so I naturally assumed.

Gee, it's true what they say about American's knowledge of geography and foreign affairs then !!

Do you your maps have "Yourop" and "here be dragons" on them or the UK labelled as a quaint village with a "Queen Theme Park" attraction?

Hint:

1. We are not in the middle East or far East, we are in the WEST. Actually, we are where everything is measured from. Have you heard of a place called Greenwich?

2. We have had elections for some time now and thus qualify as a democracy and not a dictatorship or communist collective.

Todays lesson was brought to you with the number 2 and the letter W.

• under74
    under74

"here be dragons"

LMAO

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Nice to see the politicking getting on track in Iraq.

Simon has a good point, guys - if we had 72 percent turnout we would be doing a lot better than we are now. That is something we both agree on, the need for more people to vote more often in these countries that finally have it. And he's right, if a majority of the Iraqi voting public got out, defied death to vote - then what is our excuse for not voting, for not getting active, for not running for office if we think we have a better idea?

CZAR

• ballistic
    ballistic

Best I not post after reading roybattys posts as it would most definately cause offense.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    In the election of 2002 there was 100% turnout and Saddam got 100% of the vote now how impressive is that?

Um....Riiiiggghhhtttt...

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

CG: thanks for sharing that article. I sure hope things improve for Iraqi women. They have been brutalized for centuries in that part of the world.

Jean

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    As for the UK being classed among Western Democracies, I was not aware. When we speak of western democracy on the forum, it is usually dealing with American democracy so I naturally assumed.

Wrong on all counts it is just that 72% of all the posters on this board are US citizens and regularly come out to vote.

HS

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jeanbean

Under saddam, iraq was a secular society. He gave women lots of rights. He encouraged education and professional jobs for them. Also social programs for them that included things like maternaity leaves. Before the first desert storm war, iraq attracted many arabs. Nita renfrew, an american i believe, wrote a book about this called saddam hussein. It is/was available for download on the net.

It was the political feild wherein iraqis were limited. Saddam did not allow competition in that area.

S

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

S,

I was under the impression that some classes of women (ie who you knew, or what faith you were) had it much better than others. That is was not an evenly applied freedom.

I'd say that in any country that has a leader who allows his sons to rape women publicly and then toss them off a rooftop for fun, that women are not necessarily respected in that country.

I'll take a look at the information that you provide, though. Thanks!

Jean

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I was under the impression that some classes of women (ie who you knew, or what faith you were) had it much better than others. That is was not an evenly applied freedom.

How would that be different from a western country?

I think it's likely that women will have the classic Muslim oppression (though hopefully not as bad as many places) of women for the most part, in most parts of Iraq, when this all shakes out (another thing I hope I'm wrong about). Saddam kept religion, just like everything that could oppose him, under his very secular thumb, and women benifited from that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit