The John Denver Issue, vote now.

by londoner 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

" A plane crash was too good for him . . .". Londoner, you're not from London. A Londoner has too much class to say something like that.

• londoner
    londoner

Hi none believers,

The Concert was at the Odeon New Street in Birmingham, cant remember the exact date but I think around 1980 give or take.

I can't believe so many of you don't believe eye witness statements considering so many people have confirmed that this happened, how did you ever have the balls to question and then leave the JW's,

Why would I or anyone else make something like this up, read his life story he was far from a "sweet man",

• Scully
    Scully

Personally, if an entertainer wants to select the audience he/she performs for, I have no problem with that...... provided that they disclose that up-front, before people he wishes to embarrass and exclude have paid their hard-earned money to purchase tickets to the event.

Of course, they realize that disclosing something as ugly as prejudice and intolerance in advance is bound to have consequences for them professionally.

I'm not commenting on whether the event actually happened or not, however, I would question the ethics of an entertainer with such strong views who chooses not to disclose that fact prior to taking money from people who purchased tickets in good faith for a concert.

I know of JWs who refused to go to Gordon Lightfoot concerts because he was reputed to have voiced a prejudice about JWs. They would have done the same for any other entertainer who spoke ill of JWs.

Love, Scully

• londoner
    londoner

Tigerman,

being from London or not has nothing to do with class. Here in the U.K were always being told that New Yorkers have class yet you have the Bronx, the East End of London would chew the Bronx up and spit it out, Most Londoners are as rough as a dog and proud of it.

• kaykay_mp
    kaykay_mp
    I was at a John Denver concert in the UK many years ago, he asked all Catholics to stand up, after he got them seated he did the same with Church of England, then the same with a couple of other religions, after he asked all JW's to stand up he announced that the concert would not go on untill they had all left and he then left the stage. The next day it hit the headlines in the press. As an ex witness I'm not in love with them myself but that was disgusting. Not only was he a fanatical born again Christian he was a wanker.

Oh, holy f**k yeah, I've heard about that one while I was still in the Org...after that there was actually a ban on all hippie and John Denver music.

No skin off my back. He was a dork anyway. No offense to present company. You guys are cool.

(sucking up)

laters

kaykay_mp

• under74
    under74

yeah, I remember hearing about that. So, what papers ran this story? Not that it really matters to me. Although I don't agree with the treament you describe, if it is true, John Denver (for whatever reasons he had) got what he wanted-a JW free concert...and the JWs got what they wanted-persucution.

• Poztate
    Poztate

I can't believe so many of you don't believe eye witness statements considering so many people have confirmed that this happened, how did you ever have the balls to question and then leave the JW's.

You seem to be a little touchy that anyone would question your statement even though at first you gave very little solid evidence to back it up. Now that you have stated a time and a place I am sure it will be a lot easier for others to independantly search old records,newspapers or "google" it to confirm your words.

Now I have to go and check my balls to see if they are still there...

Why would I or anyone else make something like this up, read his life story he was far from a "sweet man",

You are right...I have NEVER known anyone to make up stories around here esp

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I searched Google and Google groups on John Denver and Jehovah's Witnesses. Google didn't come up with any hits, but I found an interesting twist to the John Denver story.

a JW district convention in Denver, CO, a JD concert was scheduled for that

evening. The concert had nothing to do with the convention earlier that day. As

the stage crew began to setup things, curious Jehovah's Witnesses lingered after the

convention (I too would linger and investigate whether I could purchase tickets).

Apparently JD noticed the problem of having people without tickets not leaving the

arena and on mike, asked 'all Jehovah's Witnesses to vacate their seats and leave

the facility'. Something to the effect of, 'Are there any JWs in the audience?

Would you please stand? Now would you please leave?'

Just do a search for John Denver Jehovah's Witnesses in Google Groups. It should be the second article under the results

(Sorry for the lousy formatting. Firefox isn't formatting this correctly)

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    And then a very good friend told us

Again a very good indication of an urban legend. Its always a friend of a friend, never a first person account of the events.

Will

• steve2
    steve2
    I loved John Denver. He was a passionate man, and it was the 60's and 70's a time of peace and love and all that jazz.. I think that JWS not standing for the flag salute and other things is disgraceful and I wish more people would throw them out of concerts.When I think of the events I attended and would refuse to stand for the salute or sing "God bless america" or bow my head out of courtesy for a prayer, hell , someone should have thrown us out.j

just my humble opinion

Er, sorry, but while I agree it is an opinion, it is definitely not humble. I don't agree with the JWs stand, but I will respect their right to their stand and endorse their respectful approach to the issue. By the way, it's all very well associating John Denver with 1960s and 70s "peace and love", but I don't think it would have been asking too much of this "loving and peaceful man" to keep his religious bigotry to himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit