The John Denver Issue, vote now.

by londoner 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Well, maybe he had problems with the JW's, but his Dad sure didn't. The Witnesses I babysat for in Denver were great friends of his Father. The elder used to go golfing with JD's dad all the time, although his name wasn't Denver... John Denver's real name was a very strange name, that I DO remember. Of course, I was only 13.. what do I know?

CG

P.S. Looked it up: Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Well he was a drunk... But who's not? (just kidding I have about one drink a month) I think he was a very very mean drunk. From what I've read when he was drunk he was mean to everybody... I've also read that he did sing at concerts while... a bit buzzed shall we say! So to go off in a drunken rage at a concert does not seem to out of character to me! J-dubs are all drunks too they should have gotten along famously!

As too a plane crash being to good for him... Well it wouldn't be such a bad way to go I guess! He had been a hardcore alcoholic for many years so he was probrably on his way out anyway! My flight instructor was a FAA crash examiner and he said that in many small plane crashes suicide is suspected. THink about it if you know that your dying get in a small plane, load that bugger up with high-test, get good and ripped and fly straight into a mountain... One thing for sure he didn't suffer! If you shoot yourself you might miss or flinch at the last second and blow both your eyes out but not die (news of the weird about 3 years back) pills you might barf most of them up! Jump from a building may just end up really really f*cked up! Douse yourself with steak sauce and jump into a piranna pool maybe they just bite you in the johnson! Crashing a fully fueled up plane into a mountain at 215 mph is pretty fool proof... I heard they had to Id him from dental records... you ain't pulling through that kind of crash!

• Gerard
    Gerard

So, the JWs got a taste of their own -bitter- medicine.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Click here: http://arago4.tn.utwente.nl/stonedead/albums-cds/sounds/main.html

Scroll down to Sketches:

Click on "Sound of John Denver being strangled". Turn up speakers.

He he he he he....

Englishman.

• jws
    jws
    If someone played God save the Queen at a concert in the U.K half the audience would probably jeer them off the stage.

I don't know about that. I loved the Sex Pistol's version and I can't imagine them being jeered off stage.

Assuming John Denver did do what he did at a concert, I think that's terribly rude. Did you and your companions leave? Or did he play anyway? If John Denver was so patriotic, freedom of religion is one of our founding values. Imagine the uproar if somebody told all the Jews to leave their concert.

Why is this board so unbelieving? Is it just that this story sounds like urban legend that we're skeptical? Somebody comes to this board saying they were molested by an elder with no witnesses and we believe their story and we feel sorry for them and ourtaged at the elder. We don't demand proof. But somebody says they attended a concert and heard/saw something and we don't believe them and want proof. Why is that?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:Is it just that this story sounds like urban legend that we're skeptical?

Well, it doesn't just *sound* like an Urban Legend, it sounds *exactly* like an Urban legend, and it has been passed around like an Urban Legend for years. Check out the Johnny Carson *enlargement* to the story. What bullshit. What absolute bullshit.

If John Denver did this, there will be news sources of one sort or another, period. As you point out, there would be an uproar, Jew or JW.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Oh come on!

Click on that link. It's hilarious!

Maybe only the Brits think it's funny..sob.

Englishman.

• PinTail
    PinTail

You got that right he was a Wanker, I seen the Johnny Carson show back in the day when Carson asked him if he did such things, he said yes so Carson told him to leave his stage.

Just because witness's have ideas I find weird and abusive they did not deserve to be treated like that, good riddens Denver you bloody Wanker: ("one who masturbates.").

The Sex Pistols and John Denver. An interesting matchup.

A bit off point here, but I first learned about the Sex Pistols at a special meeting called in the late 70s by the elders for all JW youths in our congregation. The topic of the meeting was the horrible new phenomenon known as "punk rock." Film strips were shown and it was alleged that Johnny Rotten and Sid Vicious habitually puked, spit, and urinated on the audience members. I became an intstant fan, bought the "Never Mind the Bullocks, Here's the Sex Pistol's" album, and ultimately went to see them in the mid 90s at the "Filthy Lucre" tour. I credit the Sex Pistols music, among other things, for helping me as a young teenager escape the misery that was the Watchtower.

Rather than booing a rendition of "God Save The Queen," I'd give them a standing ovation!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The answer to our John Denver question probably lies somewhere underground in Kansas - a quote from the LA Times -

The star's company, Carson Productions, controls the rights to all the material. In 1980, Carson won the rights to all future shows in a contract renewal with NBC. And after he retired, he acquired the pre-1980 tapes as well, according to Carson's nephew Jeff Sotzing, a former "Tonight Show" producer who helped run Carson Productions with his uncle.

Many of the episodes between 1962 and 1972 were erased years ago because networks at that time frequently taped over old broadcasts to save money.

Once he gained ownership of what was left, Carson placed the remaining tapes and all subsequent footage in an underground storage vault in Kansas. The collection of more than 4,000 tapes is believed to be one of the largest single television libraries in the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit