Did You Ever Enjoy Going To Assemblies and Conventions??

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Every January, they read the letter as to where you'll be "assigned" for the convention and then the Our Kingdom Ministry will detail ALL the do's and don'ts to remember. Was going to these things ever enjoyable to you?

• jaredg
    jaredg

i liked them but only b/c of the social aspect

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

No, not really. I'd always hope for some "exciting" stuff. I was one of the dupes who thought the Revelation book was cool when it first came out. I started wondering later on, how they "knew" all this stuff they came up with. But as a general rule, if you asked me in the car on the way home what I'd learned, I'd have to BS my way through it coz I never remembered anything.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

One word comes to mind: NAUSEATING

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

i loved assemblies. to me they were exciting. plus there were lots of cute boyz...

• upside/down
    upside/down

I sort of liked them (compared to all the other aspects of Dub life). Kind of like asking someone in prison if they liked getting outside for some sunshine.

I was smart enough to make sure I had the right job. One that let me get good seats and one that let me get up and do something so as to keep from slipping into a coma (and take my boys with me!).

But we became bitter while serving for years in remote areas. The District Convention was about a 4 hour drive away, and we considered it a rare treat to be around other people (Dubs). We always saw old friends and loved to gossip and catch-up on things. One year we were anticipating dinner with some very good friends and of course had made advance arrangements to have dinner. When they never showed we were worried, had something happened? No calls, no messages at the hotel. We ate dinner alone (bummed)- worried for them. The next day we see them and not a word is said, I asked if everything was OK, they said, yeah- fine. I was a little puzzled. Than at lunch we here them talking of how wonderful their dinner was last night and that the CO had invited them to dinner! I was heart-brokent then PISSED. I confronted them immediately on their rudeness. They explained that it was obviously a "blessing" from Jehovah to be included by the CO. AAAARRGH!

Never Again

u/d

• undercover
    undercover
    i liked them but only b/c of the social aspect

ditto.

But after so many years it all got old. We all got married, had kids, responsiblities. It was more work than fun and was extremely tiring. I was always glad to get back to work after an assembly so I could relax.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

It was a waste of a weekend. I hated assemblies and conventions.

• blondie
    blondie

I liked them because of the social/travel aspect. We always took a day or too off from the assembly and did something recreational (8-day ones). For the most part my family did not have a lot of money and my abusive non-JW father was not prone to spending it on conventions. We were viewed as "bad association" because we did not go often.

(Does anyone remember when it changed from district assembly to district convention?)

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

When was it?? A few years ago, I was corrected for saying "District ASSembly". I saw that past articles used this expression.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit