Did You Ever Enjoy Going To Assemblies and Conventions??

by minimus 49 Replies latest jw friends

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

I still enjoy going to them, ours is at Twickenham Rugby Stadium in London, went last August and it must have been the hottest day of the year........still was an excuse to dash out periodically to the fleet of Ice cream vans for a Flake 99 every 2 hours!

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

Only for the chocolate pudding and apple danish.

• undercover
    undercover

Then you're going to be disappointed. No more food is served by the F&DS "who dispenses food at the proper time". You have to bring a bag lunch. And you can't go across the street to McDonald's either.

• Mulan
    Mulan

I actually really looked forward to the summer conventions. But, it was so hard with children, and taking them to the bathroom. Dave was always working in his department, and I was usually alone with the kids. When they got older, it was a lot easier, and the 3 older ones helped a lot when we had our fourth, when they were all 16, 13 and 10 years old. Looking back, I wonder why and how I ever got through it.

When we bought a trailer and started taking that, it got much better. I hear they aren't allowed to bring them to the grounds anymore though. We used to be able to park at the hotel next door to the Tacoma Dome, but they stopped that a few years ago, after we quit. Misery!

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen
    Then you're going to be disappointed. No more food is served by the F&DS "who dispenses food at the proper time". You have to bring a bag lunch. And you can't go across the street to McDonald's either.

Yeah, I know. That's when I told hubby 'I ain't goin to no more conventions.' Cub's sells swiss miss and sara lee, anyway. (double negatives for emphasis) LRH of the formerly 'NumbA$$' class

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Years ago the assemblies where exciting.

We used to cook thousands of proper meals, served on 'airline style' trays, to tons of washing-up. Pre-convention involved erecting massive marques, post-convention take them all down again.

Then things were simplified, no food, no nothing really.

Assemblies have lost their sparkle. Not that it bother me that much nowadays.

Eyeslice

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

scoobysnax

You still go?To good old Twickers??

I would be depressed going there now and not seeing Wilko etc play !!

• minimus
    minimus

I'm confused. Does Scooby go to conventions/meetings or not?? I thought he recently said he hasn't gone in a long time.

• The JellyBaby
    The JellyBaby

No way. Far too long to expect someone to sit still in one place. Expect the kids to stay still and quiet. The tuts and huffs of people that you would have to disturb just to got to the toilet. I had to bite my tongue on many an occasion. Those long winded, laborious, monotonous, talks..oh no, I couldnt do it again. The last one I was going to, my daughter puked all over my back as we were travelling to the convention by car. We were only 5 mins away. I turned around, and headed back home, (an hours drive or so.) I was SOOOO disappointed.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Oh Minimus......you're such a dizzy blonde sometimes. In the post you are referring to, if you really are that confused, I said I hadn't been to the meetings (ie. TMS/Service Meetings/Book Study/WT/public Talk etc) in 17 years, I did however point out that I do still go to the memorial and conventions.

All clear now?

Scoob

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit