Would Your "Spirit-Directed Conscience"Have Made You Walk Out Of A Movie?

by Englishman 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Never has, and never will.

I make sure to have a general idea thus knowing what to expect prior to walking into a movie theater.

DY

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Yes, I walked out once. I do not remember the title of the movie but I was talked into watching it. I did not like it and left the cinema.

I liked it that the other JW thought I left because I considered it unfitting. ;-)

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Hindsight being what it is, I now know the reason why: my Ex (a JW) and I went to go see "Stigmata" with some friends and at the time, I couldn't figure out WHY he was freaking out as bad as he was. Now I know! Even tho he wasn't "practicing" evidentially it was still a big deal for him. He was squirming in his seat and practically hyperventilating. We stayed, he wouldn't talk about it. Story of my life!

Personally, I've walked out of "To Live and Die in LA" cuz it was stoopid...and "Ernest goes to Camp" cuz I was stoopid for paying money to see that bit of pathetic!!

• Nocturne
    Nocturne
    I got burnt for seeing Goldeneye

Dear god!!! that brings back some painful memories.

• upside/down
    upside/down

I actually did the opposite once I unplugged myself from the bOrg. I saw:

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2. The Butterfly Effect
    3. Gothica
    4. Vanilla Sky
    5. Magnolia
    6. The Truman Show
    7. All the Matrix's
    8. The Village
    9. Eyes Wide Shut
    10. Saving Private Ryan
    11. Black Hawk Down
    12. Behind Enemy Lines

All back to back- (with some sleep in there) it was a movie binge. I wanted to see them all NOW. I went and bought a 46"Toshiba loaded up on pop and junk food and indulged till I couldn't hardly stand it anymore- GOD WAS THAT FUN! I binged but never purged- is that normal? lol

u/d (now I pace myself-whew)

• Swan
    Swan

I suppose the Belgian film Les Aventures des Schtroumpfs is out then.

We read LOTR back in the early seventies when we were in Jr. High.My aunt, an elder's wife, even read LOTR and the Hobbit both to her son, who was about 10 then, I guess. I didn't see anything wrong with the book then and wonder what the big deal is about the movie now?

I have never walked out of any movie after paying good money to see it, and have sat through some real awful turkeys just on principal (Marjoe Gortner in Food of the Gods). If nothing else, they were very laughable.

Oh, BTW, Les Aventures des Schtroumpfs is translated as The Adventures of the Smurfs! What will the JWs do if there is a Lord of the Smurfs movie?

Tammy

• Preston
    Preston

Englishman,

I hope your spirit directed conscience didn't prevent you from watching Genevieve....

Hopefully all those Merchant / Ivory movies were a big no-no...

Like upside, I went on an R-rated movie binge around the time I left. The first movie I saw was American Beauty, which actually motivated me to leave since the stark, closed surroundings of the Fitts household in the movie clearly mirrored my life as a repressed JW.... Watching Breaking the Waves didn't help either...

- Preston

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Scared the heck out of me.

I was with hubby and the kids..I just ran out and left them.It was too real for me!(I was still a devout JW.)

I haven't seen the remake..but the first was really scary.Being so nieve..I never thought people could do things like that.

When everyone came out I thought they had to be nuts to see a movie like that and kept my doors locked till hubby and the kids came out.

They were teens and loved it.Go figure..

And I too loved Dr Who!( Not a JW then) I watched it with my Dad before he passed away. It was our together time..

Snoozy...the wimp.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Nope ....well not on the whole

I still will not watch any "supernatural" films though, either at the pictures, or on telly. I just won't.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Angharad..I too loved Dr Who.

I Watched it with my father before he passed away. It was "Our time". Something I will always cherish.(Not a JW then).

Confused JW..Who's idea was it to walk out on "Overboard?" Wifey's?or your's?

Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit