Would Your "Spirit-Directed Conscience"Have Made You Walk Out Of A Movie?

by Englishman 42 Replies latest jw friends

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

My wife and I walked out of "Overboard" after Goldie Hawn bent over with that thong on.

I know. I know. I'm an idiot and was overrighteous.

I said I KNOW.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    My wife and I walked out of "Overboard" after Goldie Hawn bent over with that thong on.

That was the best part of the movie.

Walter

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hold on....Wasn't the carpenter chappy who saw Goldie bending over actually Kurt Russell, who was genuinely married to Goldie Hawn?

Englishman.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I got "in trouble" for going to see Titanic when it came out, because of the nude scene. I wonder if it's OK for JWs to go to an art gallery?

I remember that my parents took us to see Star Trek II when it came out in the cinema. I was too young to remember much. Then the Society specifically named it as a film that was too violent, so we were not allowed to see it again. One "rebellious" day, I decided to watch it when it was on TV. I was bored. *shakes head*

I know we walked out of a film when I was a kid, but I don't remember the name of it. It was some nature type film, Grizzly Adams or something like that. Dunno why we left; I think it might have been for language.

• minimus
    minimus

Nope.

• Why Georgia
    Why Georgia

I went to the movies with my JW friend and her mom a long time ago and saw the movie " The Son In Law" with Pauly Shore. We had to leave within the first few minutes because the girl room mate kissed her girlfriend.

I was so pissed. I had popcorn candy and everything.

• The JellyBaby
    The JellyBaby

I went to see 'The Doors', with some old JW pals,it wasnt my thing, but they fancied it. To my immense releif, they had a problem with the film at some point, and decided it would be better to leave, (not before seeing Meg Ryans Boobs I hasten to add)....So I was overjoyed, and we went to the Pub and got Pi**ed instead...Result!!!

• chrissee
    chrissee

I remember going with a group of teen witnesses to see "Legend" it had a young Tom Cruise in it. Five minutes into the movie others decided to walk out because of the demon in the movie. I wanted to stay, to see Tom, but went along with the group. We ended up getting the manager at the theater to change our tickets to the other movie. Can't remember what the other movie was, I think a G-rated one for little kids.

Other than that I remember my dad wanting to see 'Ghostbusters' and rented it and watched it alone (this was before he studied) and my mom just about freaked out and tried to talk him out of it. He let us kids watch it too and I thought it was hilarious!

Back in October my mom told me she went to see that new movie with Richard Gere & Jennifer Lopez, I think it was "Shall we Dance?" She said it was soooo good. I almost said to her, 'isn't that about a guy who was having trouble in his marriage and wanted to 'hook up' with the dance instructer.' Almost like he wanted to begin an affair with her, while still married. I guess that movie was okay for her because she likes Richard Gere!!

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

My parents wouldn't allow me after becoming JW's to go to the movies. Up until my parents converted my sister and I would go every Saturaday. When we became witnesses my father felt that going to the movies were all to violent and se xual and rude, crude etc... One pioneer in our congregation in Scarborough called Wexford on Ellsmere street. took my sister and I to see the "High Winds of Jamacia". We also went as a family to see the Bible. And Gone With The Wind.

After that we never went to the pictures. In 1970 I moved to Montreal and started going tothe movies again. I have walked out of two pictures. One was with a bunch of us from the Kingdom Hall, it was "M.A.S.H. When I got up to leave all the other witnesses couldn't believe me. They were stunned. The other time I went with a sister and her grown daughter and we saw the Apprentice of Duddy Kravitz". The sister didn't like that very much. But in those days I considered myself a good witness and didn't want a bad reputation in the Kingdom Hall.

Oh and one other picture, my son and I went to see," Robin Hood Prince of Thieves" with Kevin Cosner. I wasn't one for black magic and things and I wanted to set a good example for my son. He was upset that we left but that is how I felt.

Anyway today I pretty much go and see whatever tickles my fancy and I see now how narrow minded I was as a JW. Oh well live and learn.

I love horrors , psychological thrillers, mysteries, paranormal and war movies.

Thats the new me.

Love Orangefatcat.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Other than that I remember my dad wanting to see 'Ghostbusters' and rented it and watched it alone (this was before he studied) and my mom just about freaked out and tried to talk him out of it.

Small thread hijack......

How many other people had spouses here that reveled in pulling this type of crap?

When she started studying, my wife didn't even want me watching TV when the granny ole sisters were around. Later, she constantly pulled that crap of trying to talk me out of watching movies or reading anything she deemed to violent, sexual, or spiritistic because she claimed they inivted deminz into the house and gave her nightmares. She threw away a hoard of King and Koontz novels, Bram Strokers Dracula and any other books that had even a hint of spiritism that belonged to me, though now she swears that it didn't happen..

Now, after she's mellowed a bit at my urging, I bring whatever I want to watch and read in the house.....and why shouldn't I....I'm paying for it now that I'm only breadwinner!

She usually heads for the bedroom to watch TV whenever I bring movies she don't care to see into the house now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit