Would Your "Spirit-Directed Conscience"Have Made You Walk Out Of A Movie?

by Englishman 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

This was a fairly frequent occurence amongst the brothers and sisters in my young dubby days. I was heaved out of the cinema on more than one occasion, generally by my mother who reckoned some things were just too much for my innocent young eyes and ears.

I only half saw:

The Robe. (sacrilege!)

Solomon and Sheba. (SEX! I had the hots for Gina Lollobrigida for years after that.)

You Only Live Twice. (SEX! James Bond undid a ladies zipper!!!)..and I was 19 years old!

The most favourite dubby walk-out film was "A Fistful of Dollars" (excessive violence), closely followed by The Wild Bunch (violence), The Mercenaries (violence) and Barbarella (orgasmatron machinery is not permitted).

TV wise, Doctor Who was verboten (violence, Daleks etc.) and The Avengers (Dianna Rigg, brothers dribbling). Only immature brothers watched Monty Python (facetious) and That Was The Week That Was (lack of respect for authirity figures) and Come Dancing ( arm around waist of woman who was not one's wife).

Now I come to think of it, my dubby grandfather saw "The Sound of Music" about 6 times. I guess that was one of the few films that was OK.

I wonder how they regard the movies that are being shown these days?

Englishman.

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

I don't remember going to many movies but I do remember turning off television though. When I would babysit I remember watching MTV and being overwhelmed w/guilt at viewing some of the videos and turning them off and praying! Another show that I would turn away from was Saturday Night Live at times. Talk about an overwhelming guilt! And to make matters worse, I felt like everyone knew what I had done! My Aid Book was worn out from reading the section on forgiveness!

• blondie
    blondie

Never, and conversely, I don't choose movies now just because they are R-rated.

My secret was not to go to movies with JWs. I either went by myself or with people from work.

Blondie

• Angharad
    Angharad

I've never walked out of a movie, but I seem to remember Dirty Dancing causing a bit of a stir in our hall and some saying they walked out of that. All that sexy dancing, terribly immoral and all

We used to watch Dr Who every week in our house, I remember my uncle coming to stay once and he made us turn it off

We had the book study in our house when I was little, I had the mumps one time and remember being in the back room watching Dr Who (times must have changed) while the group was on in the next room I hid behind the couch a couple of times (hey I was only about 6)

• under74
    under74

I never walked out of any movies......but my mother did- Against All Odds, Summer of 42 are two I remember her having stong convictions about after having left the theater. I remember her talk being very much against Midnight Cowboy.....although it was before my time.

All I can talk of first hand are the movies I wasn't allowed to see....Purple Rain was a big thing.....along with any other movie that was rated R or PG-13 or had anything to do with the holidays or was rumored to be demonized (Gremlins, Ghostbusters and so on). Sooo, movies I remember as a JW kid are The Wilderness Family and a few Disney movies....I saw Beat Street...but I wasn't supposed to.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Didn't see many movies while I was a JW, except in the last few months... made up for that since fortunately!

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

The Nutty Professer 2: Sexual Themes, I got burnt for seeing Goldeneye, and I walked out of Titanic for obvious reasons.

• new light
    new light

I can't believe so many JWs were OK with "Lord of the Rings". I almost walked out of that one myself, being a conscientious dub at the time, but it was a long movie and I was just a passenger on the ride over. How do they justify watching and owning a movie brimming with spiritism and magic?

• Undecided
    Undecided

It was all a bunch of pretending, just like the JW religion itself, so I walked out of the Kingdom Hall.

Ken P.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I've never walked out of a movie in my life, and I've been to my fair share, at every rating category.
    Bond and Monty Python (and since it's been mentioned, "Dr,Who") were staples in our house.
    My wife didn't like them, though, and I'll never forget the look of horror on my inlaws faces when I made them watch "Holy Grail" and the historian got decapitated - they made me turn it off at that point - ROFLMAO.

The congregations made a big thing out of "Dirty Dancing" in the 80's (?) but I wasn't interested in watching it then (I did, subsequently, on TV - big deal!). More recently they tried having a snipe at Lord of the Rings. Ironically that was at the Elder's School in 2001, the day after I'd taken my dad and father-in-law to see it - ROFL.
    Two weeks later I DA'ed, so I can't coment about anything more recent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit