Next WT Study....... Alcohol!!!

by Doubtfully Yours 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BigG
    BigG

An elder who was into his Single Malt Whiskeys used to give me a wee dram as they say in Scotland...trouble is I was only 16...not that im bothered or was bothered; he was one of the few elders that can live and let live...lovely bloke actually as well as his wife....shame they are as misguided as the rest.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, several special needs talks have been given over the last 5 years in this area regarding underage drinking. The emphasis was on that even with parental permission and supervision that it is wrong. There hare been several car accidents and pregnancies that have grown out of this trend.

Most JWs think they are not an alcoholic not realizing that the emphasis is on being "drunk." There are many recovering alcoholics who have not had a drop for many years yet they are still alcoholics. And there are many people who while they get drunk on occasion, are not alcoholics....yet.

Elders are many times the ones with the biggest problems since they are the ones most likely to see the dark underside of the congregation, be called upon to sweep it under the rug goiing against their ethical side, and then having to look at themselves in the mirror. Elders are most likely to cover up the problems of wives and children because they do not want to lose their position.

I have already looked this ariticle over and with my family's background in alcoholism and my hoping the WTS gets it right this time, I can assure you there is nothing new. What is interesting is the fact that they feel they have to deal with it in a WT study article. I can tell you that Bethel is one hotbed of alcohol abuse and has been for years. The pressure of being or appearing perfect and being scrutinized by all the other Bethelites is more pressure than some can handle.

Blondie

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Alcoholism may be a disease, and it may be an addiction, I'm not clear on which (in my own mind), but one thing I do know, is that praying extra hard isn't going to "cure" you. This is just one more problem that the elders are not trained nor experienced to deal with. Blind ignorance and faith won't help here. And when the person you would be going to for advice and council may have the same problem you end up with enabling or denial. If you encourage people to not drink in order not to stumble others, you are backhandedly asking them to be more discreet and hide it. And hiding it is what an alcoholic does best.

Far be it for them to tell you to get professional help. You probably won't see any advice about rehab and DEFINATELY nothing about AA.

One big problem that the WTS has with this as with other things such as depression and mental illness (I am not catagorizing these things the same) is that they lump them all as deficiencies or moral failings. All of these things are biological illnesses which can be treated with professional help.

Just one more example of the WTS trying to cover up or gloss over.

Sherry

• blondie
    blondie
    One big problem that the WTS has with this as with other things such as depression and mental illness (I am not catagorizing these things the same) is that they lump them all as deficiencies or moral failings. All of these things are biological illnesses which can be treated with professional help.

Very good points, Gretchen. I think too that the elders and the WTS are worried about what you will say about the WTS to these "worldly" people. Better you die than do that!

Blondie

• Triple A
    Triple A

Doubtfully Yours

If the WTBTS decided to disfellowship based on excess alcohol consumption, they'd let go 1/3 of its members. No doubt in my mind about it!

Are you talking about the 1/3 of the Angel who fall in Revelation? It might be a new sign that the end is near

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Yeah right!!!

DY

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

I haven't checked the article (as a personal rule I don't allow myself to read WT publications), but does it have a reference to the timeworn story of Brother Heinz?

For those who don't remember, an elder comes home from work every day and has a drink or two of whiskey to relax. He never gets drunk and seldom drinks at any other occasion. One day he has an operation which requires a lengthy hospital stay. suddenly he realizes that he can't function without his whiskey. If it can happen to an elder surely it can happen to you!!!!!

I remember at one point the PO of my congregation offered a challenge to all of the brothers to lay off the sauce for a month. I was too young to drink at the time, but I remember the ministerial servant who was studying with me said how he was having quite a time staying away. For him it wasn't the appeal of the booze, it was trouble saying no when another brother asked him "wanna beer?"

• upside/down
    upside/down

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "doctor's note" excuse.

In our hall they all did the 30 days gig to prove to themselves they weren't alcoholics. We had a real fine brother on the body (a truly good man) who said why don't you make it a year! You should have seen the looks on the others faces, it was priceless. He said that if alcohol wasn't a problem you would have no problem giving it up for a year (any drunk can go 30 days sober!). He made his point.

So anyway this one bro in the hall at the end of the 30 days had horrible pain "down below". Went to doctor and turns out he has kidney stones (very painful I hear), practically incapacitated him. Doctor asks him if he's changed his diet recently or done anything to "bring this on". The bro says no, then says wait- I stopped drinking my daily cocktail (beer, wine or whatever). So lo a behold the doc see the cause and effect and "prescribes" that this brother go back to his routine of a daily bit or alcohol, so as to avoid kidney stones. Suddenly all the bros had kidney stones and they all had to start drinking again- doctor's orders!

Ranks right up there with all the people that hate meetings but can't say that (not PC), so they develop a mystery illness like fibromyalgia, IBS, CFS, Bi-Polar, Anxiety in crowds, etc (no offense to those who truly suffer, I'm talking about FAKERS).

This just slays me LOL!

u/d

• what_Truth?
    what_Truth?

u/d, the funny thing about it is that no brother had the balls to say "look, I enjoy having a drink, it's my legal and scriptual privlige to have a drink, I don't need to deny myself this pleasure for an entire year to prove to YOU and YOU alone that I'm not a drunkard."

Personally I can understand laying off for a month to reflect on the importance that alcohol has in your life, I've done it myself a few times, but going a whole year is like a monogamous married man going celibate for a year to prove he's not a nymphomaniac.

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

I know alcoholism is not funny, and I mean no disrespect to any who may suffer (it runs in my family, and I have my own ism). But this is too funny (especially the tag line) not to share!

http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/buyproducts/prodpage_drunkmug.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit