Next WT Study....... Alcohol!!!

by Doubtfully Yours 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jgnat
    jgnat

Self-medication is symptomatic of high-control groups in trouble. Case in point, the USSR.

"Soviet economists, who had been secretly relying on doctored economic figures and raw material exports to gloss over the economy's deficiencies, could not disguise the USSR's failure to meet its Five-Year Plan goals. Fortuitous increases in gold and oil prices in the 1970s had camouflaged the decay, but the USSR possessed few manufacturing exports, the lifeblood of all developing economies. Life expectancy for men began to decline due to alcohol abuse, a fact so embarrassing to the government that it stopped issuing life expectancy figures." (hightlighting mine)

http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/world/A0861697.html

• upside/down
    upside/down

T quote Avishai,

BINGO!!

u/d

• VM44
    VM44

I have never heard of the Watchtower devoting a whole study article to the topic of alcohol before. Interesting.

--VM44

• pillsbury
    pillsbury

This is a rehash of the Alcohol talk at the DC last year. They basically said that you don't need to be drunk to over drink and that if anyone is offended because of alcohol we skip it. They even had a demo about it with a couple that just moved to a new congregation and that they would have any alcohol so as not to stumble anyone. The emphasis was definately on don't drink in any instance than it is just a conscience matter.

• Released
    Released

I WAS DRUNK THE DAY MY MOMMA GOT OUT OF PRISON...............................................................

SO I WENT TO PICK HER UP IN THE RAAAAYN.............

BUT BEFORE I COULD GET TO THE STATION IN MY PICKUUUP TRUCK.....

SHE GOT RUNNED OVER BY A DANGED OLD TRAAAYN......

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Looks like all of the good little dubbies have to find a way to compensate for the increased pressure put on them by the WTS.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Alcohol abuse is a problem in society in general. I don?t think it is any worse in the congregations of JWs then anywhere else but it is just as bad.

hmm... i don't know anyone who drinks excessively. but my sister, her husband, their friends: a couple with two sons who all drink, friends of theirs (a single sister living with her mother), her best friend and her best friend's boyfriend, all drink heavily. every day. i might have a Corona with lime once a month and only drink 1/2 of it...i got the impression they were all alcoholics. gotta keep those lil sheep sedated, yanno...

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    If the WTBTS decided to disfellowship based on excess alcohol consumption, they'd let go 1/3 of its members. No doubt in my mind about it!

In theory, they do. Drunkenness is technically a df'ing offense, though it is often winked at by the elders. I do know several people who were reproved for drinking too much, though I can't think of anyone offhand who was actually disfellowshipped for it.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    often winked at by the elders.

...just like the young girls and boys in the kingdom hall..

• ballistic
    ballistic

There is a strong drinking youth culture going on here in the UK. The witness approach with youths is often taken from the "youth" book - the example of a "spring" being gradually released and not let go quickly fearing it will spring off into oblivion. There is one problem with this approach... you cannot legally drink in public places until you are 18. So if you live in a house with no drink and mummy does not plan on joining you and your work mates as you discover the wonder of alcohol, the approach really isn't going to work.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit