Has God Ever Planned and Caused Cannibalism?

by gumby 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• gumby
    gumby

Jer. 19:9
    And I will cause them to eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat one the flesh of his friend in the seige and straitness, wherewith their enemies, and they that seek their lifes, shall straiten them.
    Nah.....god wouldn't do that.....would he?
    Gumby
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Wonderful God this Jehovah you know Gumby

• gumby
    gumby

Yea Stilla.......Jehovah's the one who made a law against it as it was an abomination....yet he "caused" it to happen according to the scripture. I wonder if the parents drained their blood first? Disgusting. Is there any diety as evil as this god?

Gumby

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

if you didn't know you were reading the bible and that Jehovah wasn't a god but just some guy, you would think it was some raving maniac's journal...

6 ???Therefore, look! there are days coming,? is the utterance of Jehovah, ?when this place will be called no more To´pheth and the valley of the son of Hin´nom, but the valley of the killing. 7 And I will make void the counsel of Judah and of Jerusalem in this place, and I will cause them to fall by the sword before their enemies and by the hand of those seeking for their soul. And I will give their dead bodies as food to the flying creatures of the heavens and to the beasts of the earth. 8 And I will make this city an object of astonishment and something to be whistled at. Every last one passing along by it will stare in astonishment and whistle over all its plagues. 9 And I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters; and they will eat each one the flesh of his fellowman, because of the tightness and because of the stress with which their enemies and those seeking for their soul will hem them in.??

10 ?And you must break the flask before the eyes of the men who are going with you. 11 And you must say to them, ?This is what Jehovah of armies has said: ?In the same way I shall break this people and this city as someone breaks the vessel of the potter so that it is no more able to be repaired; and in To´pheth they will bury until there is no more place to bury.??

• blondie
    blondie

I think this is referring to situations where God "allowed" enemy nations to battle Israel and bottle them up in their walled cities waiting until food and water ran out. There are several occasions where it is recorded that children were eaten by their parents, including the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE/AD. It is part and parcel of the idea that children will suffer for the sins of the parents which I thought was against God's principles. At least in these cases, the WTS does not teach that they descended into everlasting death.

w89 8/1 p. 29 Questions From Readers

· Why does Lamentations 4:10 refer to mothers who ate their own children as "compassionate women"?

Describing the desperate situation of the Jews during the Babylonian siege of Jerusalem in 607 B.C.E., Jeremiah wrote: "The very hands of compassionate women have boiled their own children. They have become as bread of consolation to one during the breakdown of the daughter of my people."?Lamentations 4:10.

Centuries before, Moses had alerted the Israelites that their future would be marked by either "blessing" or "malediction." They would enjoy blessings if they kept God?s commandments, but they would bring suffering upon themselves if they rejected his righteous ways. One of the terrible consequences was that the Israelites would be reduced to eating their own children. (Deuteronomy 28:1, 11-15, 54, 55; 30:1; Leviticus 26:3-5, 29) This actually occurred after Jehovah abandoned the faithless, disobedient nation into the hand of the Babylonians.

At Lamentations 4:10 the prophet Jeremiah drew upon the well-known fact that a mother is naturally tenderhearted, compassionate, and protective toward her children. (1 Kings 3:26, 27; 1 Thessalonians 2:7) Yet, the famine in besieged Jerusalem was so extreme and the resulting starvation so compelling that mothers who would normally be compassionate boiled and cannibalistically ate their offspring.?Compare Lamentations 2:20.

A similar situation occurred after the Jews rejected the Messiah, who had warned about a coming siege of Jerusalem. (Matthew 23:37, 38; 24:15-19; Luke 21:20-24) Historian Josephus described one of the horrors of the siege in 70 C.E.: "Mary the daughter of Eleazar . . . killed her son, then roasted him and ate one half, concealing and saving up the rest."?The Jewish War, translated by G. A. Williamson, chapter 20, page 319.

Truly, abandoning God?s laws and ways is not the course of wisdom.

And it came about afterward that Ben-ha´dad the king of Syria proceeded to collect all his camp together and to go up and besiege Sa·mar´i·a. 25 In time a great famine arose in Sa·mar´i·a, and, look! they were besieging it until an ass?s head got to be worth eighty silver pieces, and the fourth of a cab measure of dove?s dung was worth five silver pieces. 26 And it came about as the king of Israel was passing along upon the wall that a certain woman cried out to him, saying: "Do save, O my lord the king!" 27 To this he said: "If Jehovah does not save you, from what [source] shall I save you? either from the threshing floor or from the wine or oil press?" 28 And the king went on to say to her: "What is the matter with you?" So she said: "This very woman said to me, ?Give your son that we may eat him today, and my own son we shall eat tomorrow.? 29 Accordingly we boiled my son and ate him. Then I said to her on the next day, ?Give your son that we may eat him.? But she hid her son." 2 KINGS 6:24-29

Then you will have to eat the fruit of your belly, the flesh of your sons and your daughters, whom Jehovah your God has given you, because of the tightness and stress with which your enemy will hem you in. DEUTERONOMY 28:53

"?"Therefore fathers themselves will eat sons in the midst of you, and sons themselves will eat their fathers, and I will execute in you acts of judgment and scatter all the remainder of you to every wind."? EZEKIEL 5:10

And I will make them eat the flesh of their sons and the flesh of their daughters; and they will eat each one the flesh of his fellowman, because of the tightness and because of the stress with which their enemies and those seeking for their soul will hem them in."? JEREMIAH 19:9

• gumby
    gumby

Thanks Incence for the additional scriptures. If you noticed verse 6 you supplied you'll see how many times Jehovah says HE will CAUSE the Israelites to lose in battle. Just as he caused them to be victorious...he could CAUSE them to fail so that they would be taken by the Babylonians and seiged, to the point of eating their offspring.

The fact is ....Jehovah CAUSED it. He was the punisher for their idolotrous ways.....and he CHOSE what that punishment was which was starvation to the point of Cannibalism.

Why would a god who made cannibalism an abhorent sin.......use this as a means of punishment? Remember...he foretold he would CAUSE it to happen.

Blondie,

A quote from your WT , and thanks for that piece

This actually occurred after Jehovah abandoned the faithless, disobedient nation into the hand of the Babylonians.

Abandoned my ass! He CAUSED them to lose. He was there....he directed that war and he MADE them lose. He PLANNED it and CAUSED it.

Jehovah could have punished them in annihilating them with fire or something....but he chose the more barbaric method of slow starvation and Cannibalism of their own sweet children. That was real fair to children who never sinned. God isn't suppose to blame the children for the parents sins either....but these kids got eaten. Yip...Jehovah was one sick bastard!

Gumby

Gumby

• blondie
    blondie

Gumby, remember, God didn't write down those words; some man said God told him to do it. I find it very hard to find much of value in the OT.

• gumby
    gumby

Blondie....I'm pickin on Jehovah...or the god of the bible. He's the only one I thought I knew. If there's one up there now.....all I know about her/him is they are good artists with lots of talent but they can't put their talent down long enough to look around them and do some more important stuff like stoppin big waves.

Gumby

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints
    Just as he caused them to be victorious...he could CAUSE them to fail so that they would be taken by the Babylonians and seiged, to the point of eating their offspring.

how perverse... you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't...(hmm, why am i thinking of Catherine the Great's husband, Peter...) Last time, we saw Catherine the Great's husband, Peter, summarily execute a rat in his bedchamber and yell orders to little wooden soldiers at the contemplative age of twenty-five. This week, he ascends to the Russian throne and casts the entire country into a state of higgledy-piggledy. Not only does he abandon Catherine by inviting the ugliest troll in the court to his bed, but he also fires artillery constantly in St.Petersburg during peacetime because he thought it sounded cool.

• gumby
    gumby
    how perverse... you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't...

Wel....lsomeone was going to get damned. If the Israelites were good and listened to Jehovah......then Jehovah would let the other team lose and all their women and babies were slaughtered by swords and fire. They too ate their kids as a result of the referee Jehovah.

If they were bad however.....then he killed all of their kids.

Either way you slice it...Jehovah was a child killer.......just ask Noah....he musta had to bury alot of their bodies when the waters went down

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit