What is the best book you've read lately?

by little1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Hey, has anyone read Blow Fly by Patrician Cromwell, I think?

I've read almost all of her books, and really enjoyed them, but was disappointed with Blow Fly. I thought it ended abruptly and not very satisfactorily. I have the sequel to it but haven't read it yet.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

last night i started reading "into thin air (a personal account of the mount everest disaster)" by jon krakauer. even better the second time around...

• nilfun
    nilfun

Best recent reads: The Known World by Edward P. Jones & Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.

• Princess
    Princess

I've read just about all of Patricia Cromwell's books. I agree with Mulan re: Blow Fly. It wasn't her best. I read the sequal too. That particular story is very disturbing. After I read them I put her aside for awhile.

Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport was an excellent story of four generations of Hawaiian women. Highly recommend.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Special K, I have read all of Patricia Cromwell's Kay Scarpetta novels. I absolutely love them! I'm about a quarter into her recent release called Trace which is really captivating.

I agree with Mulan, Blow Fly wasn't one of my favorites!

Can anyone recommend any other good forensic pathologist novels?

- CF

• Special K
    Special K

I'm realatively new to voracious reading of novels. You know, having to read and keep up on all this Wt and awakes and all them jw books. I've been out for some time but still feel I've missed such a lifetime of an eclectic approach to reading and especially reading for enjoyment.

so, question is.

If you were going to recommend one of Patricia Cromwells for a first time reader of hers (meaning me!) would you recommend?

Special K (I'll check back later)

• prophecor
    prophecor

When will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops

George Carlin

• Dansk
    Dansk

Listen to Your Body - (The Wisdom of The Dao), by Bisong Guo and Andrew Powell

Power vs. Force - (The Hidden Determinants of Human Behavior), David R. Hawkins, M.D., Ph.D.

Both books available on Amazon right now.

Ian

• happyout
    happyout

I mostly read for relaxation, so fluff books for me.

I have read everything by J.D Robb, and love that series. Eve Dallas is a cop set in a futuristic society (but not too far in the future)

I have read Catherine Coulter's FBI series, they are always entertaining.

I also love the Kay Hooper FBI series, they contain a wonderful amount of supernatural and mystery that I love.

Janet Evanovich writes a series of number books about Stephanie Plum, a bail enforcment agent, that is completely hysterical. Talk about laugh out loud funny!!

I used to love the alphabet series by Sue Grafton, too, but the last two books have been a huge disappointment.

Other favorite authors: Lisa Gardner, Iris Johansen, Lisa Gardner, Kyle Mills, Harlan Coben,

I have read James Patterson's books, but only enjoyed the series with the Midnight Murder Club so far.

I am currently reading another James Patterson book, can't remember the name, but it's slow going for me.

I read two books recommended by Oprah, and didn't like either one. I'm obviously not deep enough for her

I enjoyed The Da Vinci Code, except I think he kind of wussed out at the end. He really didn't have much of a choice, he had kind of painted himself in a corner. I enjoyed all of his other books, too. I think people make too much of Da Vinci Code, it's a work of fiction mixed with some facts.

Happyout - a bookworm her entire life

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Into Thin Air

An excellent book if you are at all interested in adventure or climbing.

Eyeslice

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit