What is the best book you've read lately?

by little1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Balsam
    Balsam

Karen Armstrong book "Spiral Staircase"

Brian Weiss book "Many Masters, Many lives"

• battman
    battman

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. Covers 13,000 yeras (gasp) of human history in 450 pages. For non-fiction it is fairly interesting reading. He explains why certain cultures are the way they are today. Aboriginies to New Yorkers. Also has deatiled discussion on evolution. hehehe

Battman

• little1
    little1

I stayed up until 2:30 am finishing Ann Rule's Every Breath You Take about Allen Blackthorne's stalking and murdering his wife. I was shocked at the end to find out that he's now in the federal prison here in Atlanta! YIKES! He's so cold and calculating I just know he's in there trying to figure out a way to get out. I didn't sleep very well.....

I have also read The DaVinci Code and thought it was great.

Another good one is He's Just NOT That Into You! which demystifies all the things guys do and say that really mean-"I'm just not that into you!" Very educational.

L1

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I'm in the middle of three books right now. I started reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last week, and am about 250 pages in. I'm listening to the audiobook version of Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob Dylan (which my wife gave me for Christmas - fascinating stuff to a longtime fan). And I'm working my way through an unusual Christian devotional by Louise Bergmann DuMont called Faith-Dipped Chocolate. It's made up of very short inspirational stories that each somehow tie in chocolate and scripture. It's really a pretty neat book, if you're into such things.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Paulo Coelho's '11 Minutes'.

Eleven Minutes tells the story of young Maria living an innocent life in a Brazilian village and is played out in a measured fashion, but with all the author's brilliant scene-setting (very lush here) fully in place. But then Maria experiences love and suffers great pain. From this point, Coelho has us inexorably in his grip. Maria's disillusionment with love leads her to Geneva where she finally ends up selling her body (Coelho may offer us the beauty of life, but never at the expense of its harshness). Maria's approach to sex is complex--this is no mere revulsion arising from what she is now doing with her life. And then she meets a seductive young painter, who may or may not offer her a new path in life. But does she prefer to continue on the dark sexual odyssey she has embarked on, at the expense of real love?

Coehlo is an inspiring writer and as with all of Coelho's work, he manages to find humanity by showing us that even (and I don't mean that in derogatory sense) prostitutes are real people with real emotions and needs.

Eyeslice

• Will Power
    Will Power

Life of Pi (sorry forget the author's name) - award winner, excellent - lots of fun

A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. Award winner, about a young girl growing up in a Mennonite town. Lots of 16 year old perspectives on things like shunning, using the bible as a weapon, fractured families. The Mennonite town in Manitoba, where the author grew up is pretty pissed.

He's Just Not That Into You! by 2 of the writers of Sex in the City - Now there is no excuse for singles to get stuck with a "dud" LOL - this is a very funny book.

will

happy new year

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    chocolate and scripture

I assume the concept is that the chocolate helps swallow the scripture easier? Heck, chocolate helps anything go down better! (just teasing)

Read the Harry Potter series and loved it. Also the Lord of the Ring trilogy and The Hobbit just prior to the first movie release. We bought the trilogy in DVD just before Xmas.

A couple of excellent women's books:

THE BEAN TREES is the 2nd Barbara Kingsolver novel, she wrote the Poisonwood Bible, also an excellent read. I loved the Poisonwood Bible.

The Red Tent a novel by Anita Diamant. The story of Dinah from Genesis 34, Jacob's daughter who was "raped". Told in the first person.

And I didn't start reading books for my own pleasure until I was in my late 20's! When I was a teen, many of them were taken away by my parents as inappropriate.

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

curiously, hume's "dialogues concerning natural religion" (1779) dosn't seem to be available in the average kingdom hall bookroom.....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0140445366/qid=1104535904/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl14/104-5504570-5774356?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

'shard to know why not.

peph.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Currently enjoying Portrait of the Artist, by James Joyce. Planning to get again on Ulysses after that.

• Leilani
    Leilani

I love all of the David Sedaris books. I've also have a few of his audio tapes so I can listen and giggle as I'm driving. Read the above mentioned Red Tent and loved it. I'm currently reading "River Horse: A Vogage Across America". The History of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (3 volumes) are quite interesting reading. I also have enjoyed any Sigurd Olson books, Where the River Runs by Gary and Joanie McGuffin and Edges of the Earth by Richard Leo and many, many more, too many to list.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit