What is the best book you've read lately?

by little1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• little1
    little1

For education or just for fun? Usually I read for self-improvement-always trying to figure out why I am the way I am and STOP IT! But sometimes I read just for fun. The best book I've read lately was David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. If you want to laugh your ass off-read it. I was proctoring a test, which means that basically I was sitting in the room making sure they don't cheat, reading that book and I had to stop because I kept either bursting out laughing or snorting while trying to stifle it. I give it 5 stars out of 5.

How about you? What's on your current reading list?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Right now I'm reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It's a prequel to the DaVinci Code.

• Dustin
    Dustin

I just got through reading the Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness. Good stuff. It's amazing how many other people out there have gone through the same crap.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I read a lot of Ann Rule true crime books,she is an excellent author.I'd love to read In Search of Christian Freedom but I first have to figure out how to purchase it without my wife finding out.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

The Good Earth, by Pearl Buck...looking for the sequels now.

• Mulan
    Mulan

The Good Earth, by Pearl Buck...looking for the sequels now.

I read that book when I was about 16. I never knew there were sequels. Is that true? I thought I had read all of Pearl Buck's books.

The best books I've read in years were Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, both by Dan Brown.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Recently re-read (read it the first time over 40 yrs. ago) Great Expectations by Dickens. Am now reading the Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky.

I got on this kick to re-read the classics now that I am in a more mature (damn.....I'm getting old) frame of mind.

HappyDad

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I just finished Show Falling on Cedars. Very good murder mystery. Poetic and well written. Small island in the San Juans (San Piedro) with a murder. The characters are fleshed out really well. It primarily deals with the Japanese Isei and Nisei, pre WWII, their being shipped off to internmnet camps, etc, and post-war attitudes. It reminds me a lot of Makai a book about a woman growing up in Hawaii during the same time.

Current book is a Brief History of Time by Himself, Prof. Stephen Hawkings

I enjoy detective novels. Two favorite series are 1- by Ridley Pearson set in Seattle with Lt. Boldt, and 2- by John Sanford the Prey series - actually any of his books - well written. And for the fluffy fun of it, Sue Grafton A is for ... series. Alex Kavas isn't too bad, either.

Good Reading, yall

Bren

• sandy
    sandy

Right now I am reading Forever by Pete Hamill. I have not formed an opinion just yet. I am only on the second Chapter.

Forever is the story of a young Irishman who immigrates to America in 1741, befriends an African shaman and is granted the gift of eternal life, as long as he stays on the island of Manhattan.

Forever follows the life of young Cormac O'Connor for more than 200 years as he lives and loves in New York City. It is as much the story of the city itself as it is the story of Cormac who was born around 1725 in Ireland. O'Connor's family is unusual in that they are neither Catholic nor Protestant instead, they cling to the old pre-Christian Irish religion that most of us would call "pagan."

http://mostlyfiction.com/history/hamill.htm

• Swan
    Swan
    And for the fluffy fun of it, Sue Grafton A is for ... series.

I love those too Brenda. Kinsey Milhone is great! I also like Nevada Barr's National Park series with Anna Pigeon. Robert Crais is my new favorite author with his Elvis Cole series and also Hostage, which I just couldn't put down.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit