What is the best book you've read lately?

by little1 51 Replies latest jw friends

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Shark Dialogues by Kiana Davenport was an excellent story of four generations of Hawaiian women. Highly recommend

I LOVE that book. We're planning on moving to Hilo in 4 years, so it was an excellent novelized history lesson including the info on radical native hawaiians. Something I can appreciate. Fun to read because I've been to many of the places mentioned and could visualize them. No, don't go swimming in Shark Bay. There is a submerged temple to Mano there, and the sharks gather at certain times of the year. The place has a baaad feeling for a haoli.

Kev didn't like any of the Patricia Cromwell he's read, and said BlowFly was just lousy because it seemed to take you off on tangents, so I haven't bothered, but may take them to Mexico end-of-month for something to read. James Patterson is a bit boring after a while.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Erick Larsen's The Devil in the White City.... riveting. Right now, it's Undaunted Courage, Stephen Ambrose.

• Swan
    Swan
    Happyout - a bookworm her entire life

Thanks for the tips. I'll look for some of those authors.

I saw Sue Grafton on Today a while back and she didn't look as well to me as when I saw her in previous interviews. She seemed burned out and in need of some rest. I think P is for Peril was delayed, and seemed rushed. The two plots didn't seem to mesh well. It wasn't her usual work. Q is for Quarry was much better and gave me hope, but after reading some mediocre reviews I'm waiting for R to appear in paperback next month before I buy it. Hope she takes her time to do a good job with S. I imagine publisher deadlines create a lot of pressure.

If you liked Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone, you will probably love Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon novels. She is a National Park ranger who solves murders in the nation's parks. Her last one, High Country, was impossible to put down.

Robert Crais has a modern LA gumshoe named Elvis Cole that is very complex, but also has a great sense of humor. Crais' characters are never the simple stereotypes that they first seem, and his writing can be very moving at times. I cried in the middle of Voodoo River.

Tammy

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Swan, I'll look for Nevada Barr.

Another detective series I like is Tony Hillerman's Navajo series with Leaphorn/Chee on the Navajo Rez. Redford has bought rights to several and has made a couple into movies for PBS. Well done, too.

• carefully faded
    carefully faded

Special K,

I would suggest starting with the first novel of the series, Post Mortem.

"A serial killer is on the loose in Richmond, Virginia. Three women have died, brutalized and strangled in their own bedrooms. There is no pattern: the killer appears to strike at random?but always early on Saturday mornings.

So when Dr Kay Scarpetta, chief medical examiner, is awakened at 2:33 a.m., she knows the news is bad: there is a fourth victim, and she fears now for those that will follow unless she can dig up new forensic evidence to aid the police.

But not everyone is pleased to see a woman in this powerful job. Someone may even want to ruin her career and reputation...

- CF

• Princess
    Princess

Ooh yeah, Post Mortem was a good one. I really liked the Kay Scarpetta novels. I also like the ones with the three cops...can't remember any of the titles or the characters names though...been too long.

Brenda: I loved Shark Dialogues too. Deeply disturbing in some parts but so moving too. I've never been to Hilo, but I have been to several spots in the book and I'm somewhat familiar with the culture so that helped a lot too. It was recommended by some women in my daughter's hula halau.

Can't let a book thread go three pages without mentioning Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series.

I'm off to her website to see when the next book is due to be released!

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Well this is going to date me for sure, but heck I'm old and I know it.

Any Victoria Holt fans out there? When I'm asked about best books I've read I always think of her book Confessions of a Queen. I don't know if it was because it was one of my first really long novels I read at the time or what but that book just sticks in my memory. It was historic and intriguing.

Okay so the old part really is showing.........you said lately, gawd I'm so fixated.

• Purza
    Purza

I just read State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Not one of my favorites -- I turned it around and sold it on Amazon. His last book Prey was much better.

Purza

• bebu
    bebu

Desiring God by John Piper. It's his argument for what he calls "Christian hedonism". Piper twists an old catechism which states, "The chief end of man is to glorify God AND to enjoy Him forever". He rephrases it as, "The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever."

A truly wonderful book for anyone who wants to understand more about knowing God, versus just knowing about Him.

bebu

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Anyone else read "The Book of Fred?" It is a real trip reading how rediculous religions can get. It makes one laugh if not cry a bit over being raised a JW.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit