JW email forward about the tsunami

by cyber-sista 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Anyway, this is an email I received this morning. Don't want to give any disrepectuful comments about it as this tragedy is overwhelming and I am grateful for any who have come out of this alive. But yet I am still suspicious of any of these JW reports. I have received several like this over the years--they always put their WT twist on it--(brothers were spared because of attending the meetings and being out in field service) ********************************** Dear Friends,

Just this lunch hour we received a report about the tsunami in the Orient: (Monday noon meal)

From Sri Lanka, Sacelles, India, Mauritious and Thailand: No local brothers or sisters were killed. Some suffered minor injuries such as cuts and bruises. Only a few Kingdom Halls were damaged. Some were spared because they were attending the meetings when the 30-40 foot high wave hit their village along the coast. Unfortunately, in Thailand where the major damage was in the tourist areas, two Brothers are known to have been killed and others injured. Since some tourists may be Jehovah's Witnesses, the branch in Thailand is endeavoring to find any others. The report from Indonesia has not yet been received. Two brothers visiting Thailand from Finland were saved because they were in field service when the wave hit the tourist area they were staying at. When they returned to their cabin it was destroyed along with others.
    NOTE: I telephoned someone at Patterson. Read the above to them and they confirmed that is what they heard at noon yesterday (Monday ****************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Am I reading too much into this? The two brothers who were tourists were killed (perhaps they were not doing God's will at the moment.) It was noted that the ones who survived were attending meetings and in service (doing God's will). Again, I don't mean this in anyway to be disrespectful about this overwhelming tragedy, but this email gave me that strange JW twilight zone feeling. cybs

• unique1
    unique1

It is bizarre. Considering the great amount of devestation and the tens of thousands dead, it is hard to believe only 2 brothers/sisters were killed. Unless those are areas where witnesses are less than 1% of the population and then it could be possible. I wonder how many are just unaccounted for at this point.

• franklin J
    franklin J

This tragedy is difficult for the world to accept; much less the poor countries and their population which have been ravaged.

Is it my imagination or have our former Watchtower friends worked this to their advantage about the living ones being out in service doing Gods preaching which spared them? As in having Jehovahs protection?

It still stinks.....

• pierce_crystal
    pierce_crystal

I would really like to send some money to help these poor people. Does the Society set up any kind of relief fund?

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Franklin, I guess one of the things that bothers me about this is that instead of just saying what a great tragedy this is for humankind they only focus on those few JWs as if they were the only ones in the world who mattered. They comment on a few Kingdom halls being damaged, but what about whole towns and families being wiped off the face of the map?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Some were spared because they were attending the meetings when the 30-40 foot high wave hit their village

I can tell you right now that this is total BS. The wave hit at 6:30AM local time. There are NO meetings anywhere at 6:30 AM.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

You can't blame them for looking after their own first. I mean, wouldn't you? And to be fair, they usually DO at least mention the other sufferers.

As for the miraculous intervention, I would say that I know for a fact that certain stories get made up and passed around and regurgitated. I would hesitate before I believed anything that I heard from the WT along those lines.

CZAR

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

There are many international relief funds out there who are working in that area right now. AOL homepage has an area with a listing of all of the non-profit organizations--Amazon does too and I am sure other internet sites are doing the same. I wouldn't trust giving my money to the WT Org.

Are there any assitants out there that can reformat this page for size--this topic is filling up my whole screen and beyond...

• Evesapple
    Evesapple
    I can tell you right now that this is total BS. The wave hit at 6:30AM local time. There are NO meetings anywhere at 6:30 AM.

that's exactly what I was thinking......and doing the preaching work too???? at that hour?

• pierce_crystal
    pierce_crystal

That's what I am talking about. I wouldn't trust giving my money to any wordly organization. It wouldn't get there, only in someone's back pocket. I would only trust the Society. I guess I am at the wrong website!! Is all of this website apostate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit