Extrem earthquake near Indonesia (8,9), thousands of dead people

by Erich 81 Replies latest social current

• Fleur
    Fleur

Sword of jah, you can kiss my a**. My devoutly JW mother said today that my grandmother is 'better off' now that she's dead and 'closer to the prize'. I don't think so. Why is she, and so many other of Jehovah's Happy People TM so envious of the dead? I've seen it all my life. My grandmother said the same thing about her dead husband after he passed on. I don't believe that a truly happy person envies the dead. Where is the joy of god's chosen people? I sure don't see it.

The destruction caused in Indonesia was not caused by Jehovah, so he is not a murder as you strongly accuse. This is blasphemy, and you will answer for this if not repentant.

I didn't say that god was a murderer. I said that if it exists it doesn't give a damn about what happens to us lowly ant-like humans. we're on our own, in my estimation. If you're right, if god IS there then BRING THE FREAKING END already, and kill me if you have to to save the millions of people who are dying in the most hideous ways. Just make the insanity stop!

Oh, he's not ready to bring it until it's firmly established that only he can save us? I think that point has long since passed if that is what he's waiting for!

Andi, maybe you're right and it is a cycle of giving. That is certainly a more palatable explanation than a lot of them...in my own heart I just don't think that the suffering of the hundreds of thousands of people who are going through this tsunami will be of help to others in the long run...many more people are going to die before this is over and it's just incomprehensible how any loving god could allow it. Same with the people who suffered in Beslan earlier this year. I can't see anything that justifies that, least of all comforting others when 'god' allows it to happen again elsewhere.

You know I love you, girl. Please know that I don't expect you or anyone else to explain your faith in a higher power to anyone, least of all me. I mean, I'm nobody LOL. If you believe, you have reasons in your heart that no one can know and that's more than good enough...likely the same way I have reasons in mine not to believe that no one can know. Does that make sense? like I said i really shouldn't be posting today, i can hardly see what i'm typing let alone articulate what i want to say.

love,

essie

• wednesday
    wednesday

I don't think this is evidence that God is not alive. It is a massive earthquake and a series of horrrible tidal waves. It is some really horrible weather, not judgment from God. I think there can be a God and this still happen and He does not have to be a monster, just unwilling to stop natural forces . No one is being personally stuck down by God.

• kls
    kls

SOJ,,said,,This is blasphemy, and you will answer for this if not repentant.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Please know that I don't expect you or anyone else to explain your faith in a higher power to anyone, least of all me. I mean, I'm nobody LOL. If you believe, you have reasons in your heart that no one can know and that's more than good enough...likely the same way I have reasons in mine not to believe that no one can know. Does that make sense? like I said i really shouldn't be posting today, i can hardly see what i'm typing let alone articulate what i want to say.

Essie,

Yes, it does make sense. I don't feel a NEED to explain, but more of a desire. If it helps non-believers to just understand where I'm coming from, then it's done some good. I don't expect you to believe how I believe, just as I know you don't expect me to believe your beliefs. But an understanding of those beliefs help us in our relationship. If more people did what we're doing in this exchange, then the world would be a better place, don't ya think?

And my thoughts on the life-cycle...this stuff I'm still trying to figure out myself. I don't have all the answers. But I choose to believe that God is a being of Love. Believing that does not allow me to believe that He caused the tsunami's, perhaps allowed it for a higher purpose that we just don't understand. I feel that too many times we are a three-year old stamping our feet and demanding answers from a parents withholding our desires from us. It's not that the parent doesn't love the child, it just knows that in time the child will understand when they become more mature. I'm not so arrogant to think that we deserve an answer from God when we demand it. I guess I just have a peace that someday it will be revealed to me. Until then I do what I can do to make my life and those around me as pleasant as possible.

I love you too girlie!

Andi

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

On a more personal note...

There are 2 people from my town that were traveling in those areas of Thailand that were hardest hit. One of them was a woman who befriended me after I left the Org. She is a very kind and loving person and she opened her heart to me and made me feel like a worthy individual and friend. I have become close friends with her over the months. She is well loved in this town and many people are very worried about her, since she was staying in one of the hardest hit areas. It is strange though how the WT keeps creeping in on my thoughts about this. My first thought was that the Org will use this as leverage to scare their members into being more obedient (more disasters--the end is near). Secondly their will be some emphasis on the ressurection of those who lost their lives--"at least now these people will have the chance of being ressurected" they will say amonst themselves. They will also beat their drums about their disaster relief (which isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the Red cross, etc. But on the same note I am grateful to whatever help they will offer to anyone in need--I will not deny them that commendation though I do not approve of their self exaltation over it.

About my friend. She is/was a kind and loving person in this life, but according to the WT Organization she was not even worthy of JW association and would not have been worthy to live through Armegeddon. So, basically the WT is saying these people are better off dead. Anyway, that thought is making me angry right now. I want to see my friend again. She helped me a lot. I hope she is OK. The WT Org is sadistically twisted on these issues.

cybs

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I feel that too many times we are a three-year old stamping our feet and demanding answers from a parents withholding our desires from us.

Is it really that unreasonable for mankind to ask God "Why?" Why did He allow over 20,000 people die this horrible death? Is He not all powerful? Is it to test our faith? Is it because He doesn't care? If one believes in the Bible, many people questioned God and received answers to much less important questions.

If this life is a pre-test or perhaps a step to the next level, then why not let us know? What's the harm in God giving us a clear answer? That's what I can't understand. Isn't there a certain level of responsibility on His part to give us direction? To protect us? How do you view a man or woman who creates a child and then abandons them?

Like you, I don't have all the answers or for that matter, any answers. But the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to realize that man's belief in God is more of a roadblock then a stepping stone. Perhaps man's next evolutionary step is to realize he's on his own and that only by working together will we survive and thrive.

What I find sadly ironic is that scientists here in the U.S. knew 1-1/2 hours before the tital wave hit that it was coming but they had no way warning the people in those areas. Evidently those parts of India, Thailand and Indonesia don't have early warning type technology. Because ofthis the scienctists were helpless. It must have devistated them knowing what was about to happen, knowing how many people were about to die and that they couldn't do anything about it. I wonder if it bothered God or did he just change the channel??????

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

If there is no God, why do so many become upset when disasters and death occur? Why blame someone who doesn't exist? And why demand from believers an explanation, when you have none better to offer?

• Fleur
    Fleur
    I'm not so arrogant to think that we deserve an answer from God when we demand it.

Andi, I don't think that it's arrogant to believe that if a being is going to accept the worship and sacrifice, even to the point of dying in many cases, of the other child-like beings who worship them (if god is superior to us) that they should give some kind of frame of reference, or meaning of life, if you will, to those doing the worshipping. Or some form of protection. If you're going to go by the Bible, god did it before, why not do it again?

I will just leave it at this; that I respect everyone's beliefs, but that I don't like to discuss god/philosophy. I guess the dubs beat that desire out of me. nor do i want to convince anyone else that they shouldn't believe. its a conclusion that each person has to come to on their own, this is why i don't believe in preaching. yes i think that discussion is key and tolerance, on all sides of the religious issues in the world would make the planet more habitable. it just doesn't work out often that discussion betters the situation much.

If there is no God, why do so many become upset when disasters and death occur? Why blame someone who doesn't exist? And why demand from believers an explanation, when you have none better to offer?
    Never did I blame god, that is what gets me the most about the believers in this thread! They keep saying that the non-believers are blaming god. Well speaking as a strong doubter/near total nonbeliever, all I can say is that I don't believe that god caused it, I don't believe god could have prevented it, I don't believe that god chose some to live and some to die, because I don't believe in god at all. Why am I upset that disasters occur? Because thousands of people died! That's upsetting to any human with a shred of heart and soul in them. That's why. I don't have all the answers and I didn't expect anyone else to either; but you know what really gets under my skin is when people say "i don't have all the answers" but then go on to quote what could be coming straight from the Borg cliche's about god having a greater purpose, all of that. it's like you say on the surface "i don't have all the answers' but deep down, you really do believe you do, otherwise you wouldn't feel the need to convince anyone else. You wouldn't need to explain to me why you believe. You'd be happy to say "I believe in God" and leave it at that. I used to believe. I believed with the best of them. I believed with the heart of a child believing that the world is safe and people can be trusted. But then, I grew up and realized that belief system does not work for me. It takes my power away, it places the ultimate fate of what happens in my life out of my hands and into a set of hands that cannot be trusted or counted upon to even give reasons why things are the way they are. That does not work for me. You may think that its strange that I hang out here if I don't want to discuss god. But there are enough viewpoints here that make it possible for me to do so. I don't hang out in any other religious forums for the sake of discussing religion, like I said before, I guess I'm all 'religioned" out. I don't understand why some get defensive (please notice i said some not all!) . if god is almighty and all knowing, and I'm wrong and he does exist, then I can bet he's not offended that i don' t believe in him. cause i'm just one lowly human of no consequence. it doesn't matter if i live to be 100 or die tomorrow. it matters to no one but the people who may, or may not miss me if i were gone. outside that circle, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. i think that it would be arrogant to believe that it did. my life is no more important than anyone who got swept away in those torrents of water. yet I live, and they died. there is no sense in that to me. I cannot believe that god has a greater purpose for me than he could have had for any of the children who died in Asia, or who will die in the days to come from the aftermath of this tragedy. g'night all... ~essie p.s. to cyber; oh, i hope your friend is okay. i have ties to that area of the world that i cannot discuss here, but needless to say my family was very lucky, and the people that we have in one of the hardest hit areas have been accounted for, alive thus far.
  • RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

A shaken and very devastated Sri Lankan friend residing in Los Angeles, has found out....that his family: mother and father and sisters, along with their husbands and children: gone.

No one is left.

No remains have been found.

The town of Galle, is along the Indian Ocean.

He's a mess.

Very sad. Very sad. I didn't know exactly what to say or do.

He's almost despondent.

Most of us, here....are lucky....aren't we?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

Razor , my condolences to your friend. unfortunately,. i'm sure there will be many other stories such as this in the days to come. my thoughts and prayers continue for the victims and families of this horrible tragedy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit