Extrem earthquake near Indonesia (8,9), thousands of dead people

by Erich 81 Replies latest social current

• FMZ
    FMZ

I am not against discussing why God let's bad things happen (in fact, I would be all for it), I just think this thread was meant to inform people of a tragedy, and IMHO it would be a little less offensive if the discussion was started in another thread.

Maybe it's just me. I will start a thread tomorrow on the topic anyway, too tired tonight!

FMZ

• glitter
    glitter

I just think this thread was meant to inform people of a tragedy, and IMHO it would be a little less offensive if the discussion was started in another thread.

There are news agencies to inform people - and there are discussion boards to discuss things.

I'm just asking a question about (theologically) why "acts of God" occur. In a thread about an "act of God".

If it was in another thread on the same topic a question about the existence, or morality, of God could be just as "offensive".

It's not even a question of why bad things happen to good people; I'm just curious how believers feel about an Earth created with flaws, or if they think the flaws developed after the sin of Adam and Eve.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Why did God *create* the Earth with built-in natural disaster time bombs?

That is an excellent question. I never really thought of it that way.

I'm not for tear-down anyone's belief in God. I'm just curious as to how they answer such a question.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The latest figures place the dead at 23,000http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4126971.stm

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    sometimes the deadliest factors in an earthquake are human selfishness and negligence. Interestingly, such qualities come to the fore in another Bible prophecy concerning "the last days" of this system. During that time, the Bible states, people would be "self-centered, lovers of money," and "callous." (2 Timothy 3:1-5, The Amplified Bible) Along with Jesus? words regarding the conclusion of the system of things, this prophecy provides clear evidence that we are nearing the time when God will bring relief to distressed humanity from all present causes of pain and suffering?including great earthquakes.?Psalm 37:11.

blah, blah, blah...........let me go and puke now...... Same ol' S**T, different year.........I've already made peace with MY decision in MY life and that guilt trip doesn't bother me anymore....it just sickens me how they continue to use it to keep people stuck in fear and under their control.

• Triple A
    Triple A

List of the eight worst tsunamis, this one looks like it is going to fit somewhere in the middle.

http://library.thinkquest.org/C003603/english/tsunamis/tenworst.shtml

[ t s u n a m i s : e i g h t w o r s t t s u n a m i s ]

DateLocationDead
    1883, August 27Krakatoa, Indonesia36,000
    1707JapanUp to 30,000
    1896, June 15Sanriku, Japan27,000
    1755, November 1Lisbon, Portugal10,000
    1933, MarchSanriku, Japan3,000
    1960, May 22Hilo, Hawaii, and Pacific IslandsOver 450
    1979, December 12San Juan, ColombiaOver 250
    1946, April 1Hawaii173
  • Billygoat
    Billygoat

What I don't understand is if anyone else here made those comments Simon just made, we'd get in trouble for it.

So Simon, we don't believe how you believe, but why so disrespectful to those of us that do believe there is a God? I understand your anger about the earthquakes and stuff, but geez...try living by the first three posting rules you make us live by:

Posting GuidelinesTo ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid:

1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language
    2. Inciting hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
    3. Swearing, using hate-speech or making obscene or vulgar comments.
  • Fleur
    Fleur
    Yet more proof that there either is no god or he is complete scum.

Either way, there is no point worshiping an imaginary figure or a mass murdering sociopath.

Simon, this is exactly how I felt when I saw the documentary on the "dying rooms" in Chinese orphanages. The tsuname/earth quake just underscored it for me.

I'm sorry if my feelings offend people here who do believe...I do not disrespect your beliefs myself, but I would add (maybe in a little more gentle language than Simon used) that events like this are exactly the reason that I stopped believing that there is an almighty God.

I cannot reconcile the belief in an all-powerful being that cares for mankind with the devestation that is happening world-wide. This natural disaster is just the latest on my list.

I also do not understand why in situations like this, the people who survive think that god saved them. why would god choose to save one person and not others? why would innocent children die in this disaster and more than 200 prisoners from a maximum security prison were freed by the waves? I am sure that many good people died in this tragedy, and that some who would prey on others likely survived.

It makes no sense to me.

respectfully to all,

essie

edited because I forgot to add that my family is already using this as an excuse to remind me once again that the "end is near". I also definitely agree with Simon that it's disgusting how they pray for the worldwide brotherhood and 'screw the rest' indeed. that is not how anyone professing to be christian should behave. they should pray for help for all, if they believe that God is up there and willing and able to help.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I guess the hurricanes that hit us this last Summer were not that bad after all!!!

Poor people!!!

DY

• vitty
    vitty

This is a tragedy know one can really comprehend

And I thank God that I will be not encouraged to explote it on field service

Can you just imagine the pre meeting for fields service "how can we exploit the death and misery of thousands of people to place our overflowing back issues of the watchtower"

I feel quite ashamed of how unfeeling I felt of tragedies that happened

And how that that feeling comes back when you leave the "truth"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit