Positive about jw

by one 78 Replies latest jw friends

• MungoBaobab
    MungoBaobab

There are many positive things about the JWs. True, few or none are exclusive to the bOrganization, but then again neither are the negative things, eh? Do they have a patent on hypocrisy? No. Are they they only ones who think they're always right? No. Are they the only religion that practices shunning? Nope. That shelters child molesters? No.

I fully agree with the assessment that teaching us the true origins of Christmas can encourage critical thinking later in life. I was in grade school and knew not only that the other kids were gullible for believing in Santa, but that their parents were also for thinking Christmas was the Picture of Unadulterated Christianity.

The WTS is pretty good at calling a spade a spade, as long as they're not the ones under the microscope. Well I could see through their act, and I'm sure it's because I followed the precedent set out in a critical examination of Christmas. Plus I'm a kick-ass public speaker, and that's the number one fear in America, or so common perception goes. Finally, they have done much in the way of promoting free speech in the courts, although we all know that's not the case inside the Kingdom Hall.

• one
    one

MungoBaobab

ok here we have a junior member telling us a few things.

Do they have a patent on hypocrisy? No. Are they they only ones who think they're always right? No. Are they the only religion that practices shunning? Nope. That shelters child molesters? No.

Instead of more negative stuff about the jw i want to hear arguments against the above statements

The WTS is pretty good at calling a spade a spade, as long as they're not the ones under the microscope.

most exjw no longer appreciate the first part in the above statement, despite the reality that their general vision of the world is based on such a fact

Plus I'm a kick-ass public speaker, and that's the number one fear in America, or so common perception goes.

did i miss how you became so good at it.?

• franklin J
    franklin J

Having been raised as a Jehovahs witness and leaving the faith in my early 20s, I think I have a good comparison to make.

In fact; I have an EXCELLENT comparison to make.

The ONLY thing remotely positive of which I could credit that relgion with is possibly self discipline. I learned that at an early age. As a child; I learned to be "different" from the other kids I went to school with. I did not belong; and learned to do things on my own; not swayed by peer pressure. I chose to make this a positive issue in my life; others have not dealt so positively with this. It is a hard life for a child to have to be different from their peers.

The good values system in my life I learned from my parents. The Biblical knowledge I was " pumped" with as a child; was all relearned in college classes of ancient history; with a very different slant and secular meaning. The "public speaking" was also learned in college; albeit that I had a head start due to my "ministry school" training. Easiest "A " I ever got in school. If I use my plublic speaking skills now with a client or addressing an audience for a presentation; it is due to my self confidence as a person and professional; not my "trust in Jehovah"

As for the shunning ( of which the JWs are so proud); I learned that there are real "friends" in the world; that there are good and decent people such as myself "in the world"; all living the same life and striving to make sense of the 75 plus years we all share this planet together ; on a journey to who knows where or why. There are all the same loves and losses and happiness and pain; why make life any harder than it has to be? Why inflict pain on your fellow man; for no other reason than that he has a different perspective than you?

I have learned the hard way that the Jehovahs Witnesses and their teachings are not any different than the Nazis of fascist WW2 Germany.

Anything Positive? NO.

• one
    one

imo college education does not teach effectively students with the skills i mentioned before.

what percentage of the jw population were heading for college before becoming jw? very few.

not only that but most jw do not do the research that is tacitly suggested in the jw literature.

how many jw or exjw did go to the library to check references in wt literature?

It could have resulted in better educated jw. Finding out some quotations out of context could have opened your eyes.

If we accepted jw teachings at face value, then who are we going to blame?, most people dont blame themselves for ANY thing.

• franklin J
    franklin J

ONE;

I have had a somewhat different experience than you.

Mine is the classic case of a dedicated Jehovahs Witness who goes to college; examines his faith and the doctrines he has been taught as absolute TRUTH; and all of lifes lessons as a god fearing worshipper of Jehovah; and after experiencing life in the real world; finds all of these absolute truths to be severly "deficiant".

Despite any college education; I am continuing to advance in knowledge and experience in life; I am contiuing to grow as an individual at age 48. This was denied me as a Jehovahs Witness. My experiences as a Jehovahs Witness were stunted; I was not taught to think; only to do as I was told. The desire to question and learn was actively discouraged.

Really, what are we if we cannot learn to think? And by thinking; realizing that others may see life from a different perspective, and accepting them despite that?

Any thoughts different from what the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society had mandated as law, were not tolerated. The Jehovahs Witnesses are convinced that they have the answers; they do not look any further, or realize that what brings them so much dogmatic satisfaction; can bring, for those who choose to think independently; condemnation.

If this is what makes the followers ot the Watchtower happy; than by all means; continue. We are fortunate to live in a free country, where one can pursue WHATEVER state of being brings you happiness.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

One,

I was df'd (for "apostasy") in 1986.

In my late teen i decided to step out, not because of any doctrine in particular, but mostly because of rules which did not make any sense such reporting field service. I had been already part of judicial comitee and voted for dumping at least one, unrepented publisher.

• Triple A
  • one
    one
    The desire to question and learn was actively discouraged.

I dont think learning was discouraged per se, on the contrary..

It is fact that many other thing were "actively discouraged",

BUT, we did them anyway (and continued as "jw"), except 'think'..

Probably the best "apostate" book is CoC but the writer recognize that we are not free from BLAME, in fact in essence imply that we should only blame ourselves in the long run.

I think i have been repeating the 'essence' too many times.

Triple,

you asked

What about Christmas do you consider pagan? Just give one or two thing we can chew on

and I provided some links to answer your above question and then you come up with

If you want to use the through out Christmas because it has things that are simular to pagans, than why stop with Christmas. In the story of Isis, we are introduced to resurrection and water baptism. So those should be equally discouraged.

But reallly i dont know where you are coming from or whats the point you are trying to prove. And the topic is...

Nark,

I was df'd (for "apostasy") in 1986.

just from the stand point of chronology i am sure I did not vote to df you...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    just from the stand point of chronology i am sure I did not vote to df you...

LOL.

Actually my stare meant: how did you manage to be on a JC in your teens?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I haven't read all of the responses, but I want to respond to the Subject Line.

There are very possitive things I have taken from being raised a JW.

The Theocratic Ministry School taught me how to speak to people in an effective manner without word whiskers, maintaining a logical train of thought, and speaking before a large group of people. It also taught me how to teach.

Field Service from a young age tought me how to speak to anyone. It taught me how to speak with people without class distinction.

I have used this experience in business. For many years I was a tech support rep. Because I had no formal education, I could translate Computerese to English. I was usually on most R&D teams as a customer advocate. I also did software training for several years: in-house classes, on the phone, online, and around the country at client sites. With this I created in-depth training agendas in modules that could be adjusted for different groups of people, so that our group of trainers were teaching the same thing. What a concept! And the source knowledge was obtained from my formative years as a JW.

When I worked for an insurance agent, manageing his accounts, he was amazed that I could treat Joe Ironworker with the same respect and comfort that I treated Mike CEO Millionaire. No awe, no snears, they were and are equal as humans in my eyes.

Today I use this openess with people to tease and joke, and just be happy. It has amazing results: I was in line at a Starbucks, and the young man ahead of me had multiple piercings. Once pair or earrings was really amazing! So I asked politely if I could get a closer look at them. He opened up into an interesting person with interesting stories to tell of all his piercings and earrings. Many his mother brought back from her travels overseas. The pair I was interested in were from Water Buffalo Horn.

Hugs

Brenda

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit