Positive about jw

by one 78 Replies latest jw friends

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    Hey! Anyone joining on their own, without growing up JW must have seen something positive

True, the main reason I got into it was the fact that people from all racial backgrounds were all accepted and congregated together. Unlike what I grew up seeing in the other denominations I got involved with who kept seperate. If God had made all of us equal then we should all love each other regardless of the color of our skin. In the Babtist, Lutheran and other Churches I attended they had their own CHurches for the Black and white. It just isn't right.

• one
    one

wildhorses,

You are running ahead of me... good point, i also noticed that. And haven't seen it again in ANY large group.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If you were that positive about being a J.W.,you`d still be there...OUTLAW

• one
    one

out,

a coin has two sides, if you read my post history, you'll know the other side of the coin

I take you dont remember or recognize anything positive about the jw.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There are many nice J.W`s who are being manipulated by an absolutly corrupt organization the WB&TS.There is nothing positive about that.As long as J.W`s allow themselves to be led by such an immoral and evil group,they will continue to suffer...OUTLAW

• one
    one

OUT,

You are entitled to an opinion with no consequence, that is not possible with jw, that is not positive about them.

• mustang
    mustang

" It teached me not to accept anything at face value and to question just about anything.

I concluded at early age that anybody and everybody could be wrong. I have benefit all along from such early conclusion, thanks to the jw.. "

I can agree with this. But, it is administered with a double standard. You are taught to question whatever you hold as you come into the Borg; but once you are in, continuing the same questioning attitude is anathema. Continue that same level of questioning and YOU ARE TOAST!!!

This is mixed with a precise indoctrination with certain things being unsaid. That is, PART of the truth is stated, but not the WHOLE truth. This "sin of omission" is applied as required, as a prescription might state. This "sin of omission" is quite subtle, but very important to the process.

And there is a feedback as to your reactions. You are constantly watched, spied upon and "shepherded".

I have an example of the "certain things being unsaid" from my ~25 year sojourn w/ JW's. That included pIONEERing & being a sNERVANT. And I saw enough of the "backstage" (literally) and "in the wings" (figurative and literally) conduct of the "higher level managers" to get "a different slant on things" than that to which most were privy.

I have only recently noticed that we were never informed about the whole scenario of the Catholics practice of Infant Baptism/Confirmation. We were merely told that the Catholics Baptized the unknowing infants; the matter was left @ that.

In contrast, JW's required a level of knowledge to be demonstrated before Baptism. Actually, this was not very true in my day: I was Baptized pre-teen, on a whim. There were no questions or pre-examination required. I just walked up to the appropriate table and sNERVANT @ the assembly and signed up: nobody asked anybody else's approval. And a bathing suit appeared, as if by magic.

So, basically JW's pull a "holier than thou" claim without looking at all the facts.

What are the rest of the facts??

I recently was researching Baptism itself. I looked through the Baptismal Vows of 20 or 30 odd churches. I re-discovered the CONFIRMATION phenomenon.

(Any Catholic that wishes to comment, please do so; this is my understanding from reading the Vows.)

It seems that some responsible adult stands in as "guardian" for the infant child being baptized (the spell checker turned that into vaporized; something like poetic justice there). The child is later expected to CONFIRM his entry in the church when they reach an age where understanding of the religion is achieved. So, the Catholic practice is a two-part process and we were left with an incomplete understanding as JW's.

Now, this answers a necessary question: how is the "salvation" of infants and very young children accounted for?

This question is a necessary question for all; so JW's must have an answer for this and indeed must have some similar mechanism, it would seem.

And this is the case: JW's have something that is referred to as the "Family Merit" doctrine. I'm not sure that I ever saw it referred to as such, but it is there, in the substance of the teachings. It means that the parent or guardian is responsible for the spiritual standing of the youngsters and provides an "umbrella", so to speak, of spiritual protection for the youngster. This allows the youngster to come of an age to advance to Baptism on his own, while the adult's spiritual standing shields the youngster.

Shield from what? Well, JW's are in mortal fear of aRMAGEDDON. So, this mechanism answers that requirement.

Well, JW's have the further practice of UNDERAGE BAPTISM. This to me is more reprehensible, since they also practice FAILURE TO DISCLOSE many things. And they are vicious in the administration of these "roads to salvation". It seems to me that the Catholics are much more forgiving and Christ-like, overall; that is, since the Inquisition is over.

Summing up:

Catholics have the joint INFANT BAPTISM, followed by the not highly advertised CONFIRMATION.

JW's have UNDERAGE BAPTISM preceded by the FAMILY MERIT protection.

These two systems are essentially the same, but reversed in order; and the Catholics have a two part ceremony versus the single ceremony of JW's.

JW's have left out details in the Catholic practice in order to demonize their religion.

This subtle "sin of omission" illustrates my point about the "question whatever you hold as you come into the Borg" coupled with "a precise indoctrination with certain things being unsaid" scheme.

On the whole, I found little positive abut the JW's once the veil of NON-DISCLOSURE was lifted. There was certainly not enough positive to offset the negative. And there was enough of strangeness that I held deep reservations during the entire process.

Mustang

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Everyone has consequences for how they live their lives..If you are too spiritualy weak to fight against evil,then you must be prepared to live with it..Most J.W`s are very willing to turn a blind eye to the evil doings of the WB&TS,so they must live with it,and suffer for it...OUTLAW

• mustang
    mustang

I agree with and endorse the analysis of BluesBrother. I couldn't not have said it any better myself. That is quite thorough and succinct, at the same time.

BB's analysis only reinforces my personal statement: "There was certainly not enough positive to offset the negative."

Mustang

• one
    one

Mustang,

Generally speaking what you mention has been said before, negative aspects about the jw, this excelletent website is full of that.

BUT my topic is trying to collect arguments in a dsffierent directions

I reseve my opinion about the 'opinion' that there is nothing positive about the jw, that is what you, outlaw and others have expresed..

You and others have gone on a tangent, nevertheless your following comment is interesting.

The child is later expected to CONFIRM his entry in the church when they reach an age where understanding of the religion is achieved.

Can you elaborate on it?, perhaps on another thread, stating what a confirmation is all about and at what age it is permitted etc

Mustang

BB's analysis only reinforces my personal statement: "There was certainly not enough positive to offset the negative."

As i implied before, that is YOUR case, other cases are different. And I suggested that the sequel of jw experience could be a "lemonade", we only hurt ourself by not doing it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit