Is Islam a religion of Peace?

by Perry 108 Replies latest social current

• Badger
    Badger

...Is ANY religion?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

:Without the help from others I would have just taken the total absence of acts of violence by Christians in the NT as proof of a peaceful religion.

lol, glad I could help even a Little :P~

Unless I'm missing something, the NT spans a rather short time frame during which an entirely new religion was evolved, and during almost all of that time frame, the new "christians" were a very small minority, albeit a minority who expected Jesus to come and kick some serious non-believer ass at any moment.

• bebu
    bebu

Maybe the question should be, is Peace the thing above all else that a religion is to be about?

bebu

• Perry
    Perry

Seriously folks. I know that there is no way to rationally discuss Islam without some people blaming the USA for their barbaric behavior and then start attacking Christianity. This is to be expected.

My serious question is this: Since Islam is unquestionably overtly militant toward non believers and by their own creeds murderous; what should the appropriate response be from civilized nations toward these Islamic Religious States?

Serious responses only.

• onacruse
    onacruse
    what should the appropriate response be from civilized nations toward these Islamic Religious States?

Absent any absolute standard by which to evaluate the good or the bad of it, society is left with the one demonstrably viable option: survival of the fittest.

Ergo, "civilized" nations should shed the vestiges of "our Christian God" vs. "Allah," and honestly admit that it's simply "you have something we want, and we're going to take it from you, because we can, and we're going to prevent you from doing certain things, because we can."

Not a pleasant scenario, to be sure.

• Perry
    Perry

Good to chat with you too Onacruse. I like a lot of your posts.

Wouldn't that prescription just be a return to the athiestic barbarism and genocides of the last century?

See bebu's posts above.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    Since Islam is unquestionably overtly militant toward non believers and by their own creeds murderous; what should the appropriate response be from civilized nations toward these Islamic Religious States?

Gosh, Perry, the wording of that question sounded like it was straight out of a Watchtower.

Okay. Being serious now, if you follow the example of Jesus and the early Christians of the New Testament, it means you basically unplug from the whole mess and take no political or military action, nor favor it. Jesus grew up a Jew, which suffered under the harsh domination of Rome who worshipped pagan gods. Never once did Jesus say, "Let us throw off the yoke of these cruel pagan-worshipping barbarians." He basically didn't recognize nor did he offer any political or military solution for the freedom of his own people, nor himself or his followers in this world. They were slaughtered like cattle and their persecution was barbaric and horrendous.

When the war with Iraq started I remember a certain new-age type minister who tried to calm his congregation by saying we had to look at this crisis in a new way. "We have to remember the words of Jesus, the path of Ganhdi," he said. Great. So later on that week I went to that church's version of a book study. After it was over I reminded the minister of what he said. I told him, "Jesus and Gandhi were against violence. They refused to use violence to stop oppression against them and their followers. Both were martyed for their cause. In the face of today's terroristic threats, are you advocating us to follow the path of Jesus and Ghandhi which is the path of non-violence, and not to support our military, even if it means our own lives?" He was stammering and stuttering. It was obvious he was used to using pretty words strung together but that no one from his congregation ever went on to think past those words and on to step two, the consequences of such noble actions. He backpedaled furiously but was stopped everytime I said, "Is that what Jesus would do? Is that what Ghandi would do?"

• Dansk
    Dansk
    Praise Buddah

Buddha didn't ask to be praised and of all the religions on the planet (if Buddhism can be accepted as a religion) I should say it is the (or one of the) most peaceful. No wars have been started by Buddhists as to do so would mean one immediately ceases to become a Buddhist. Of course, there'll always be someone who says he's a Buddhist but acts contrary to the teachings. Nowhere in Buddhist writings is it advocated that violence is the way to solve disagreements or to gain salvation. On the contrary, to act violently means one must pay the price through the negative karma. Buddhists attempt to build up positive karma, which means behaving in a loving manner towards all sentient creatures.

To be fair, in Christianity it says that he that lives by the sword shall perish by the sword. Jesus advocated a Buddhist outlook. Unfortunately, throughout the centuries people calling themselves Christians have behaved contrary to Christ's commands. This is not the fault of the founder of the religion but of those who twist scripture for their own ends.

I've met some absolutely wonderful Muslims so I wonder about what is actually written in the Koran. I've never read it and, again, I wonder if some followers are bending scripture to suit their own ends. No Muslim has ever attempted to convert me by sword or by mouth. They have treated me with immense repect and hospitality and I them. Also, anyone watching Michael Palin on his world travels filmed by the BBC cannot help but be struck by the friendship and hospitality accorded him in Muslim (and non-Muslim) countries.

If we take the situation in Iraq, two different Muslim factions are killing each other. This, once more, tells me it has nothing to do with their scriptures. Rather, it is the battle for power and control of the people by a few megalomaniacs. If these megalomaniacs happen to be clerics they can twist teachings to suit their own aims and offer paradise to anyone who kills an infidel or otherwise.

So, taking the Muslims I know and others I have come into contact with or observed I can only conclude that their religion/way of life is one of peace. One cannot judge an entire religious group on the actions of some misinformed zealots and, remember, Hitler was a Roman Catholic whom, I believe, has never been excommunicated for his actions.

I daresay the most arden't fanatic could pick up a copy of Lao Tsu's Tao te Ching and use it as a Bible to kill. It doesn't matter that there's no such advocation in it, they'd just find a reason and say it's sacrosanct!

People are people from whatever walks of life and upbringing. Those of us who were JWs can testify to the fact of how easy it is to be manipulated. Muslims are no different. Get them young enough and manipulation is even easier to accomplish. The Muslim extremists don't have a monopoly on manipulation.

Ian

• Perry
    Perry

Hi MegaDude,

Gosh, Perry, the wording of that question sounded like it was straight out of a Watchtower.

Yes MegaDude it was. I am the self appointed grand master of Frankenspeak. See my post on link below for example.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/81989/1.ashx

I think I understand the point to your post. But doesn't the NT lay out the proper God ordained (regardless of religious affialiation or lack thereof) function of Government? Wasn't it God's minister to administer justice to the wrongdoer. In other words, it acts as a deterrent to murder for instance. Which is a good thing and leads to stability and prosperity.

While individual Christians were not to shreik back from religious persecution they were naturally allowed to protect themselves. Even Jesus apostles carried swords, albeit Peter used his inappropriately and was rebuked. Shouldn't governments protect themselves? Of course they should. It is a matter of how that is debated. Which is precisely why I asked what the appropriate response should be from civilised nations toward nations that have as their holy worldview that they should slaughter their neighbors.

So far Onacruse's solution is to forget about our Christian heritage and simply say we're bigger than you are; and tough luck we are taking your oil. You're solution seems to be just roll over and take it hard and die as a result. Isn't there any other solutions that can be thought of from anyone here....especially from those that frequently blame the USA and attack Christianity?

• Perry
    Perry

I agree totally Dansk. Lots of self proclaimed Christians have violated scripture and went on murderous rampages. Transversely, tons of Moslems do not take seriously the koran's violence scriptures or just ignore them and do not murder their neighbors. However, they do this in spite of their sacred texts; which, if ithe motive is not for fear of punishment is a testament to human dignity regardless of holy writ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit