3 meetings per week NOT FIVE!!!

by sawthelight 59 Replies latest jw friends

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

LovesDubs

thank you for stating the essence of the situation. Don't you think it's kind of sad though that the christian thinks the dub is worked to death(totally true) and the dub probably has a big smile on his/her face when they say that they have 5 meetings per week. hardly seems like something to brag about to me.

sawthelight

• patio34
    patio34

Hi Saw,

Nice to have you here.

IMO, it seems WTBS likes to have the five meetings correlate with five digits on each hand and then fit it to the scripture that says 'keep a tight grip on the word of life.' You know, holding on to the Bible with all five digits?

Pat

• mustang
    mustang

Call it Hell, if you like. (Understand Hell, Mich. was named this way???) 3 or 5, what's the difference? I booked during many a song.
    If I went back, I'd come in at half-time on #4 & leave at half-time
    on #5, if I saw the need.

Mustang

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Its the same mentality that allowed us to both condemn christmas with an animal ferocity, and cry while we watch our neighbors put up trees, have company, give presents and sing beautiful songs to the Lord. We are majorly phuqued up. And for the life of me, like when I was living with my ex drunkard abusive husband, I dont know how I got into that situation.

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

back to page 1

• LDH
    LDH

HMMMMM.....

Saw, Kent posts his homepage with every post. I'd suggest you take a nice long meandering look and then ask yourself whether Kent is an apostate, a troll, or both.

http://watchtower.observer.org

You may have 'seen the light' but you've still got a lot to learn....

Lisa

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

lisa
    is this personal because of my comment on the other tread? if it is i have already apologized there.as for my ques. regarding kent, i really wasn't sure because he seemed to quote the society as an authority.
    sawthelight

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

SAWTHELIGHT > this message is care of LDH (she has reached her daily posting limit)

she is "not at all mad" at you! she had no intentions of hurting your feelings.

peace, mango and LDH

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

bitter mango
    what is the posting limit?
    also what are the #posts for senior,master etc.?

• blondie
    blondie

Well, at first there were 2, then there were 3, then there were five (by 1945).

b]History of the Weekly Meetings

Before 1922, it seems only 2 meetings were in place: the (Congregation Book Study) Dawn Circles and the Cottage Meetings (later changed to Service Meeting).

After 1922, the Watch Tower study was added, for a total of 3 meetings.

In 1943 the Theocratic Ministry School was added for 4 meetings.

In 1945 the Public Talk was added for a total of 5 meetings.

I’m a little hazy about the meetings before 1922.

1895--Congregation Book Study--“Dawn Circles”
    After some of the volumes of Millennial Dawn had been published, these began to be used as a basis for study. In 1895 the study groups came to be known as Dawn Circles for Bible Study held on Friday evenings. Extracts from Brother Russell’s books were read aloud, and when persons had comments or questions, they raised their hands.” Brother Russell recommended that at such studies participants make use of a variety of translations of the Scriptures, marginal references in the Bible, and Bible concordances. The studies were often held with groups of moderate size, in a private home, on an evening convenient to the group.

1922--Watchtower Study
    Group studies of The Watch Tower were first organized in 1922.
    Questions were printed as an aid to study.

1922—Service Meeting (midweek Prayer, Praise, and Testimony Meeting or Cottage Meetings)
    Prior to 1922, Jehovah’s servants customarily gathered for a midweek Prayer, Praise, and Testimony Meeting. It was an occasion for singing, giving testimonies, and engaging in prayer. But with the increased emphasis on house-to-house Kingdom proclamation, this gathering developed into the Service Meeting, which stresses the preaching work. Of particular help was the Bulletin, which contained field service instructions and “canvasses,” or testimonies, that could be used in the ministry. Today, Our Kingdom Ministry provides similar assistance, as well as guidance for weekly “Meetings to Help Us Make Disciples.”

April 17-18, 1943--Theocratic Ministry School
    To set this new program into operation the Society arranged for the “Call to Action” Assembly April 17 and 18, 1943. Released was a new textbook Course in Theocratic Ministry. These meetings were held for an hour each week following one of their other weekly congregational meetings such as the service meeting.

January 1945--Public Talks
    In January 1945 a worldwide public speaking campaign was inaugurated. Each speaker prepared his own discourse, but the Watch Tower Society ensured uniformity of presentation[/b] by selecting the subjects and furnishing one-page outlines for these hour talks.

And so it grew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit