3 meetings per week NOT FIVE!!!

by sawthelight 59 Replies latest jw friends

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

AngelofMuZiC
    what about the ministry school? it has 4 talks, many times they are all unrelated. does this mean there are 5 meetings counting 4 school talks and service meeting on one night?and what about the different parts on the service meeting? do they qualify as individual meetings also.ask the elder, and see if his reasoning is still the same.
    sawthelight

• esther
    esther

sawthelight, I considered it as 3 meetings a week, and when I left early, considered that I had stayed for half a meeting. Maybe they call it 5 meetings to try to get people to stay for the whole time. It is only one of the many things about the WTBTS that doesn't make sense, though.
    esther

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

just putting the tread back on pg 1

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Saw,

They then gradually work toward holding all five weekly congregation meetings. June Watchtower 1997 - by Kent

can anyone tell me if Kent is an apostate or a troll? in his comment above he calls the boys in the writing dept. assholes but then talks their word as gospel. this seems contradictory to me.

Kent is an apostate, but definitely not a troll. Contrary to what you might think - he did the most effective means to settle a discussion - go to the source of the meetings (the WTBTS) and quote them as to the establishment of fact. Fact: the WTBTS says they have 5 meetings a week, which they established for the R&F to go to dutifully.

Now, we, the dazed and confused (perhaps former) R&F, might call it anyway we like - but the WTBTS says they hold 5, spiritually upbuilding, meetings a week.

We may also say that's a crock (about the spiritually upbuilding part), but if we go - we can say it 5 times a week.

Nice to meet you.

waiting

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

Think about this. If they can't get this simple count correct, then we ALL know that the "remmnant" count is wrong.

Slipnslidemaster: "But at my back I always hear Time's winged chariot hurrying near."
    - Andrew Marvell

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

waiting

my whole point was that the GB & R&F say 5. In the real world; however, i think it would be considered 3.( 2 of them having 2 parts).
    Think of it this way if you're out on a date and you have dinner, take in a movie, and then go dancing - have you had 3 dates or just 1? In my opinion this 5 meetings expression is just part of "loading the language" so it isn't understood by outsiders. it drives me crazy because i do understand but still think it's a farce

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

How many meetings? After awhile, they just all kind of mesh together. Towards the end of my journey in the WT, I would drink a ton of water right before the Sunday meeting. Then I could get up at least 3 times during the 2 hours without feeling guilty. I had an elder ask me why I got up so much, and I stole a line from one of my favorite movies, "Paper Moon." I said "I have the bladder the size of a peanut." He just stood there, stone faced with his mouth open, looking like "Why did I ask her that?"

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

TresHappy
    i noticed it's always the same ones getting up during Public talk and in the 2nd half WT. are these the sisters who don't want to be in the KH. ie. are they the ones to hit on for some "worldly" fun?

• Simon
    Simon

Quite a few years ago the elder who took our book study on a Tuesday evening really loved the sound of his own voice...

He managed to make a 1 hour meeting into a 1 and a half hour meeting. I once left after an hour and walked to another group study a few blocks away to enjoy some association (there may have been a nice sister there but that's a different story).

It wouldn't have been so bad if he hadn't had the most boring, monotone voice you could imagine.

I'm counting that as two meetings so we had SIX !

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

The only reason that the society says FIVE MEETINGS A WEEK is for bragging purposes. Thats all. They can OUT DO all those CHRISTENDOM types by saying FIVE MEETINGS A WEEK and the other guy assumes the poor bastard is there every freakin night of the week and the JW LETS THEM think that. Damn straight they do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit