3 meetings per week NOT FIVE!!!

by sawthelight 59 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

I agree. Your average Joe would say there are 3 meetings. What this shows is that JW's will say(and most likely think) whatever they are told to. If the society told them to think of their life as one long meeting, there would be 1 meeting per week. Or the society could reason that each second is a self contained mini-meeting, in which case we would constantly hear from the platform how important it is to be in attendance at all 1,800 weekly meetings. I remember first hearing the idea of having 5 meetings versus three. A part of me felt it was corny, but I supressed it.(By the way, isn't it uncanny that their are 5 fingers on the hand and 5 meetings a week? I think I see some divine influence in there somewhere)

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

When did the meetings shrink from an hour to forty five minutes? Do they still have to sing those inane songs at each boundary?

When the meetings were shortened did they give an explanation?

Probable reasons (not publicly given by the WTBTS, I'm sure):

1) An attempt to improve attendance statistics

2) Recognition that the current crop of JWs doesn't have the attention span of those of years ago

3) Movement towards simpler topics

4) [Most probable] Attempts to schedule more congregations per Kingdom Hall as a cost savings measure

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

voltaire

i think i have 5 fingers because:
    i can stick a different one up my bum for each so called meeting

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

Skimmer

i was reffering to the public talk (45 mins) it was always like this at my old cong. 45 mins for public talk, a song, send love to different congs, intro tower conductor, then 1 hour WT study. the only conspiracy is for a 45min "bible" based public talk vs. a 1 hour WT study!
    sawthelight

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

tergiversator

you deffinitely see what i mean. Concerning the school/service meeting, you would have to be fairly well indoctrinated(in most cases) to be attending in the first place. if you are this well indoctrinated you USUALLY don't leave in the middle of this 1 meeting!

by the way, what does your name mean?

sawthelight

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

What I want to know is: is the song in the middle the closing song of the first meeting or the opening song of the second?

Expatbrit

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

expabrit

maybe i could write a letter(i can see it in ques from readers already because it makes as much sense as all of crap in there already). lol.
    putting all seriousness aside i think this is just the type of doctrinal question that deserves an articl in the tower or at least an explanation during local needs( sure beats talking about decling meeting attendance).
    i see your from/living in canada, what part, i'm in nova scotia.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

sawthelight:

I'm in the greater Toronto area.

And I can't believe that this vitalquestion hasn't been addressed by co's, do's, zo's, annointed, bethelites and gb's.

You Know, Yadirf, Fredhall: where the hell are ya when we need ya?

Expatbrit

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

expabrit

1)its too bad your so far away. you sound like you've got a great sense of humor for a party.

2)as for You Know, Friday, and Fridolin. i heard they can't count to 3 let alone 5 because they dropped out of school to pioneer!lol!
    sawthelight

• TR
    TR

saw,

If you don't count fs meetings, you're right, three trips to the kingdumb hall = three meetings, but technically, there are five.

TR

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit