3 meetings per week NOT FIVE!!!

by sawthelight 59 Replies latest jw friends

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

Tr

i don't count fs for one reason; the 5 meetings per week schpiel is sometimes given in regards to "christiandom" who go to church(for worship) once a week. JWs go 3 times (for worship) but are CONgratulated for attending 5 meetings.

also, in the work place a meeting usually consists a group of people having similar concerns. the meeting proceeds from one topic to another as per a specific agenda. i believe this is how a gathering of JWs usually proceeds.

sawthelight

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

The Sunday meeting has two separate parts and there is no correlation between the two since each congregation chooses what outline to have a talk based on while the Watchtower is sceduled by the WTS. At one congregation I attended about 20 people would leave after the public talk and about 15 others would arrive just for the Watchtower so there was always this big upheaval while the exchange took place.

Many times I felt like not bothering with the talk if I knew who the speaker was ahead of time. Things improved greatly when we attended a twin-KH because I'd go next door when certain local elders gave a talk. (I couldn't sit through a crap talk, by a crap speaker, when I had heard the talk a half-dozen times before.) I'd walk-in to my local congregation after the meeting had finished. Most didn't even know I was missing.

I felt the reduction in the meeting times was to help meetings finish on time but the Watchtower conductor seemed to feel that the additional 15 minutes were to extend the Watchtower study. Most times I attended, the meeting started at 9:55am and the final song would not be sung until the Watchtower finished at 12:00pm or later. If the final prayer was a long recap of the meeting then you couldn't leave until after 12:15. No wonder many left after the talk if there was something to do or see on Sunday afteroon.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

Thirdson

some times there is no crrelation between paragraphs in the same study article. i don't think this qualifies as a separate meeting.

• tergiversator
    tergiversator
    some times there is no crrelation between paragraphs in the same study article.

Hehehehehe...

BTW, my name means "someone who shows reluctance or turns away from a previous cause, position, party, or faith". I found it will idly looking for synonyms for apostate, and decided it made a decent screen name.

-T.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello everyone,

a nice subject...!

At the moment the situation is: 5 meetings/week and

only those who " are weak spiritually " will miss

any of them for " futile reasons ".

Greetings J.C.MacHislopp

• Kent
    Kent

Why not let the assholes themselves give the answer:

*** w97 6/15 29 Visiting Our Home Missionary Field ***
    Our initial work has been to help the small foreign-language groups become congregations. Where the brothers held a weekly Congregation Book Study, we introduced a shortened Theocratic Ministry School for them once a month. This helps them to express themselves well in the field ministry. They then gradually work toward holding all five weekly congregation meetings. Already we have new congregations that speak Chinese (Cantonese), French, Gujarati, Japanese, Portuguese, Punjabi, Tamil, and Welsh.

So, I don't give a flying fart how good anyone can count or not. OK?

Have a nice summer folks! I'm leaving for Denmark today!

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

Sawthelight,

I know your pain. The whole five meetings a week thing really pissed me off too, and I even brought it up to an elder once. He told me they worded it that way because each meeting was about a different subject in the ministry..(they all sounded the same to me)
    My regards,
    Joanne

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Expatbrit,

The middle songf between the TMS and the SM is part of the Service Mtg. It's included in the program schedule for Service Meetings on page 2 of each month's Kingdom Ministry.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"So often, the unpolished
    the disjointed
    Is on its way to the truth
    Ahead of the finished
    the polished."

Ken Walsh, Sometimes I Weep

• DrunkWithLiberty
    DrunkWithLiberty

Hello Saw the light,
    I think it deals with each person's perspective. I remember when they started using that phrase "five meetings per week". I too thought the society had miscounted because, at the time, I wouldn't have (had?) missed the meetings unless I was in the hospital with some dreaded disease. Later, after I had children, I counted five meetings because I left in the middle (or at least wanted to) more often.
    I understand what you are saying about the R&F being conditioned to parrot any and all terms the society spouts, even when the terms don't make sense.
    I also find it interesting that in the Watchtowere study article in '99, July or August, the article said that if a person was missing meetings they were apostacizing (sp? and is that a word?). This was my husband's last meeting. He told our friend sitting next to him that the society can't make that assumption. She said that it must be refferring to the Greek definition of the word. What a crock. He left in a very angry mood and never went back. Yeah!
    Take care and enjoy your day,
    Angeleah

• sawthelight
    sawthelight

can anyone tell me if Kent is an apostate or a troll? in his comment above he calls the boys in the writing dept. assholes but then talks their word as gospel. this seems contradictory to me.by the way kent i think you are proving my point that some will just repeat anything that they are told.i don't think this is such a big deal, and to publically disagree with writen DOGMA shouldn't be such a big deal either.(unless of course you belong to a mind controlling cult)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit