Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

by MegaDude 73 Replies latest jw friends

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Jerry,

The corrupt institutions that franchise God to the masses make it easy and desireable to be an atheist or agnostic. Just like George Bush makes Americans want to be Canadian.

First part, Second part

I'm going to give you a "G" on illustrations. However, I fear your comment about the president may antagonize your audience and diverted attention from your theme. So for your next talk please work on "subject theme emphasized".

Seriously, you made a good point, Jerry.

Steve

• Golf
    Golf

This reminds me of a story I read a few years ago. A women atheist came to believe in a God after giving birth to her first child! Everyone has their reasons why they believe in something just as I have mine. This change of beliefs/ideology is not an issue with me because I believe in choices. Guest77

• Undecided
    Undecided

What really gets me all puzzled is what did God do all those zillions of centuries before he started to make something. He had to be alone for eternity before he decided to make the universe. Since our human mind can't conprehend no beginning, we can't understand much of what life is about either. I'm in limbo about it all and don't feel like making up some myth to explain it. I want to be God so I will know it all, and since I'll never attain that I think I'll just be like my dog and enjoy running in the yard, sex, eating, sleeping, barking and whatever else I can do. It seems the smarter man gets the more problems he makes for himself, like using up the natural resouces of the earth, polution, weapons of mass destruction etc.

I guess you can tell, I'm a little depressed right now.

Ken P.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Hmmm...where did this super intelligence come from, then? Was it created by yet another, even more powerful "God"? Damn that infinite causality!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Many people who've had a horrendous experience with religion deal with it by dismissing the idea of a creator.

Undoubtedly that is true in some cases. Personally I dislike it when people assume that I (or others) am atheist simply because of the horrible experience the WTS was. (Not that you're accusing me of that... I have had other "friends" say that and your comment above just made me think about it again!)

I have become atheist simply because a belief in god does not make sense to me. I have never seen him affect anything in my life, and the line of reasoning that "the universe is so complex it must have required a super-intelligence" is an extremely weak argument.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I wish I could come to some sort of comfortable deism like what many of the founding fathers and a few scientists like this guy have, but there's still a lot of Catholic & JW baggage I've got to unload. LOL

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    where did this super intelligence come from, then? Was it created by yet another, even more powerful "God"?

Ultimately the atheiest and the believer in God have to come to the same general conclusion, some thing has always existed and was never created. For the atheist this is the universe or its building blocks, and for the believer it is God. But both believe something has just always been there. I personally find that concept the most mindboggling.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Agreed, Megadude! Something not having a beginning is a difficult concept to grasp, but more reasonable than infinite causality.

• AlanF
    AlanF

: Hmmm...where did this super intelligence come from, then?

This is an impertinent question! It doesn't deserve an answer!

AlanF

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

LOL Alan! Might that be special pleading? :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit