Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

by MegaDude 73 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

jst2laws --- That still doesn't sound the same to me . If that were the case then Islam would have been around during the time of abraham and it wasn't . Ishmael did not start Islam and I don't know where you get that information . It was the so called prophet mohamed that wrote the koran . The God of the old testament did have his laws enforced by human authorities , so what's so friggen different about God exacting vengeance and man anyway ? I am sure there are plenty of innocent people being killed off and treated unjustly all over the world according to man made justice and we accept that as normal . God of Israel was also responsible for the security of the nation , there is no way the jews could have conquered canaan without him . They couldn't have left egypt either. There was no conquer the world mentallity in the old testament, Israel was content in Israel but they did accept willing converts . Nobody was forced to convert to judaism under mosaic law . I am sure I could go on but I haven't read the koran and would only be in the dark on all the issues pertaining to what it says anyway .

• patio34
    patio34

It's like any group claiming that they are right because of so-and-so agreeing with them. Who's got the biggest celebrity? Who cares? Yawn.

But, I apologize if this seems rude; am just replying to the fact of the post, not the poster.

Hugs,

Pat

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    It seems the smarter man gets the more problems he makes for himself, like using up the natural resouces of the earth, polution, weapons of mass destruction etc.

I disagree - problems remain fairly constant. Before we were concerned with "using up the natural resources" we were worried about things like famine, smallpox, the Black Death... etc... While there are aspects of resource usage that can be altered; in the end it is a scare tactic. They want to frighten you into one course of action or another. So they make shit up.

Anyway, God is real. Glad the boy realized it.

CZAR

• heathen
    heathen

LOL@czar -- So now we don't have to worry about the ecology just because of the fact that man has overcome many obsticles in the past . That's pretty ignorant thinking there . Today we are way more informed as to the effects of progress on the environment so why turn a blind eye to facts? Why not respect the planet we live on and treat it with some respect ? All those plaques and such you mentioned did not have the impact on the environment that polution or nuclear bombs have. They still can't use the land in japan that was nuked in WW2 ya know . I know I'm concerned over it and that people who want to live long healthy lives need show their concern before it's too late .

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief
    Today we are way more informed as to the effects of progress on the environment so why turn a blind eye to facts? Why not respect the planet we live on and treat it with some respect ?

No no no, that's not what I meant. I'm just saying that a lot of the "buzzwords" that get people worried are simply NOT backed up by fact. Like, GLOBAL WARMING - not actually backed up by any facts that we know of, and the facts we do have suggest rapid climate change throughout history. And the fact that the OZONE LAYER seems to be rebuilding itself. Now, actual POLLUTION, is fairly dinstinguishable and usually preventable. But don't worry about LANDFILLS there's plenty of room.

CZAR

• one
    one

Those who find god, one way or another, have been experiencing profound emotions or are/were in a questionable state of mind.

At least the 80 years old man seem to ran out of cpu power to continue his DNA + calculations, that's HIS problem.

Besides, the issue is a personal issue between an elusive god and each living creature.

For all practical purposes, SO FAR, If you can't "see" god it does not exist.

What's the point? ok, if i find a 350$ bill i have never seen, it will make me feel better,.even dreaming about it.

A whole bunch n their right mind, experiencing no problems and doing honest search never "find" anything...

why so much mystery?

during the mean time take care of your backyard,

whatever is going to happen is going to happen.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Megadude

Not at all. You assumeth too much.

Do I?

It's just been my experience that people who have had a horrendous experience with organized religion many times throw out the possibility of creator simply because they view the possibility of a creator and organized religion as all rolled into one ball of wax.

There, you just did it again.

It is the 'baby with the bath water' argument. In my experienece most people who believed in god and no longer believe do so as a result of analysis the supporting evidence; not as a result of sulking.

Normally the 'baby with the bath water' argument is only used by JW's or other religionists who cannot accept that anyone who doesn't believe in god does so for valid reasons.

Just because you may not fall into one of those two catagories doesn't mean it becomes a good argument.

One

At least the 80 years old man seem to ran out of cpu power to continue his DNA + calculations, that's HIS problem.

Yes, of course, what was I thinking. Huh? Sorry, I might regret asking this but what do you mean?

czar
    Like, GLOBAL WARMING - not actually backed up by any facts that we know of, and the facts we do have suggest rapid climate change throughout history.

Errrr... below quote from http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/12/07/2056214&tid=14

"Well, here's an interesting one: the fine folks at Science Magazine have done an analysis of the last ten years' published scientific articles (articles from crank or non-peer-reviewed publications were not counted) on the subject of global climate change. The results themselves are interesting, but the most remarkable part was that, of the 928 papers they found, 75% accepted that global warming was caused by human activities, either explicitly or implicitly. 25% made no mention either way. And not a single paper asserted otherwise."

heathen

Ishmael did not start Islam and I don't know where you get that information .

If you actually read the post you are responding to you will see no claim regarding Ishmael starting Islam was made. It said Mohammed claimed he was descended from Ishmael.

• Panda
    Panda

I liked it better when people became believers because of supernatural experiences...shoot now all we get are alien abductions to take the place of cool stuff like Lourdes and the Virgin Mary or the resurrectuion of a dead man (too many to name).

My real worry about US is that we have had a noticeable lack of interest in Enlightenment thought. Has the age of reason really ended? Why does any supernatural brattle get in the news anyway. So some guy "decides" god exists (although apparently a no name kind of god). How do you do that? Decide on god? That sounds so egomaniacal. "I have decided that god exists." Good grief.

The founding brothers of America had the Enlightenment to thank for being able to begin our Republic w/o the supernatural. Yeah they mention religion but obviously as a freedom of choice, ya' know NOT mandatory.

And it may be that Darwin and the American Framers knew not to let on to their non-belief. Why? because people get so dang hysterical. It's a bit like many voters exit polls which showed Kerry winning; however obviously many many people felt they could not publicly show their support for Pres.Bush. So I don't go around announcing my non-belief...shoot I'll never get to be mayor that way!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

@heathen:

judaism as we know it was not around until about the same time chrisianity was invented. in the 16 century B.C. there was no judaism. there was a canaanite people with some boss god called jhwh along with several other gods. after the babylonian exile esra started the pharisee tradition, but after the final destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. there was no way to continue traditional worship, thus a new judaism had to be created.

turn it as you want, allah and jhwh are two names for the very same god (arab. aLaH[im] == hebr. eLoH[im]). islam, christianity and judaism come from the very same roots. and they actually got a very similar ruleset.

i'd go even further: if mormons and JWs are considered christian, you could call islam christian too. and it's definately older than protestantism.

• heathen
    heathen

My argument has been and still is that the God of the old testament and the God of Islam are not the same God . Just because Mohammed believed some unvarifiable crap does not mean he established a religion that has anything to do with the God of the old testament .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit