Famous Atheist Now Believes in God

by MegaDude 73 Replies latest jw friends

• one
    one

Abbadon,

What i mean is only skin deep, that's as far as i can go.

I am under the impression that the 80 years old man ended his investigations where he started, and gave up.

Seem like originally he proposed to explain the origin of life my scientific method, but his tools failed him.

Did he tried NERSC? (IBM with 6,080 processors for running scientific applications).

Anyway it is like the internal combustion engine equiped with four wheel, steering wheel, radar and autopilot trying to figure out by herself where she came from.

No 'regret' class

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I've had a joint now. I understand you perfectly. Abaddon (not taking the piss, for once)

• heathen
    heathen

googlemagoogle --- It is my belief that judaism entered the world scene with the mosaic law covenant . The law was given exclusively to semites not to the arabs . I don't care what mohammed thought he was doing , whatever it was is not associated with the biblical God especially scince he did it in the 6th or 7th century AD when christianity became the only form of biblical association for religion .

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

heathen

given exclusively to semites not to the arabs

LOL. And what are Arabs? Semites! Sorry heathen; it's the "you are entitled to your own opinion not your own facts" thing again.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

The guy is basically saying, "The universe is too complicated. There must be a God."

But that's a cop-out. Humans have been apt for a very long time to say, "I don't understand it. Therefore, God must have done it."

If there is lack of convincing evidence regarding the way the universe came to be, it is important to recognize that that fact, in itself, can become proof of nothing else. To illustrate how lack of information never can become positive proof, consider the following two sentences:

No one knows how much money Joe has. Therefore, Joe is poor.

Obviously, the conclusion is a non sequiter. The fact is that we have no information regarding Joe's financial status. The only conclusion we can draw from this is that we had need to get some better facts if we want to have anything to say on the subject.

When a person, "We don't know how something as complex [/beautiful/awesome/sexy/etc] as the universe could possibly have come to exist without an intelligent creator," that conclusion does not become proof of a creator at all. It only becomes proof of the ignorance of the speaker.

SNG

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

My argument has been and still is that the God of the old testament and the God of Islam are not the same God.

sorry, buddy, that's not an argument, that's a simple unbacked statement. but i guess that's what faith is all about, am i wrong?

as for judaism: it's not your belief that matters, it's still the facts. and judaism didn't start with the mosaic law, yeah, even the name "jew" was made a lot later.

it seems you have a hard time understanding the difference between jews and israelites. and arabs are considered as semitic as israelites, assyrians and canaanites.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

heathen, could you please explain why you think a 7th century religion is worse than a "1st century" religion?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    My argument has been and still is that the God of the old testament and the God of Islam are not the same God . Just because Mohammed believed some unvarifiable crap does not mean he established a religion that has anything to do with the God of the old testament.

Heathen, that's nonsense. They are clearly the same god, as is the god of the Christians. And while I will grant that not all "unvarifiable (sic) crap" has anything to do with "the God of the old testament", Islam certainly does, in exactly the same way that Christianity does. A Jew would consider both Christianity and Islam to be heresies that have distorted the message and the nature of God, but would undoubtedly recognise that both of these religions have Judaism as their foundation.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Google:

heathen, could you please explain why you think a 7th century religion is worse than a "1st century" religion?

I have to agree with you here.
    They both stem from the same part of the world, with very similar factors. They have more in common than they have which is different, and they have a common ancestor. Whether the similar religion was brought about 20 generations down the line or 100 makes little difference. By their fruits you shall know them... Derek:I would have to agree with that, too. I undertook to start comparing various religions, over the last year or so (I continue to do so). The similarities outweigh the differences in most cases. The core tenets (thusfar) appear to be:

• We are here because of the long past actions of God(s).
    • Some "connect" to the "Divine" more readily
    • We should show compassion to our neighbour (meaning anything from family through to worldwide population).
    None of these are mutually exclusive.
  • heathen
    heathen

Ok so I concede the semite part of my argument after looking in my websters . I should have said Israelite . The websters also states that judaism is simply a jewish religious system not that it has anything to do with the word jew . Moses is considered to be a jew today , just because the word jew doesn't appear until the times of christ doesn't mean it isn't applicable . It was more or less a slang tearm , the origins I'm not sure of . Not all arabs are decendant of Ishmael , Esau was also an arab shike and if you read the old testament we find that the God of Abraham really hated him . I still say it's unvarifiable crap to believe mohammed just because he believed he was decendant of Ishmael. One day I will have to read the koran but from what I've heard of it so far,it doesn't resemble the mosaic law covenant anyway .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit