What is the truth?

by OldSoul 78 Replies latest jw friends

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Well OldSoul,

You seem to be having fun already. And you have so much more than Monte Python scits to draw from.

Remember this one: "Yellow bulldozers, Yellow bulldozers" in the sky!

Jst2laws

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey OS. Not sure if you still wanted answers to your earlier questions...but...for what it's worth:

It seemed like your questions basically boil down to:

• Does God exist, and if so, what type of person is s/he?
    • Is the Bible God's word, and if so, what should we make of the various and sundry stories in it?
    • What should Jehovah's Witnesses believe, if not the WT take on the universe?

My answers, respectively, are:

• I personally do not believe there is convincing evidence that God exists. Materialistic explanations have thus far proven quite satisfactory for me, and I expect that to continue. Although I do not rule out the possibility of a higher life-form, I wonder what exactly his role would be. I think the evidence is insufficient for me to assume anything about such an existence, and certainly what the hypothetical existence does, has done, or plans to do.
    • I do not believe the Bible is anything more than a collection of myth, revisionist history, and propaganda.
    • I think Jehovah's Witnesses should believe what makes sense to them after a careful consideration of the facts in the fields that most interest them. As another poster said, however, I don't think you have to line up your next fix before you quit something that is clearly in error. JWs are wrong. Fine. Leave. Now take a careful inventory of your beliefs, do research, engage in discussions, explore, learn.

Hope that helps in your quest for answers!

SNG

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I think O S has gone.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Neigh! Neigh! But far other wives...

Yeah, I am aware of the malapropisms, that's what makes it humorous... you know, like the bone in your arm.

And how's frankie?

Peace,
    Stl_b_ing Invisible

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

OS,

Not to bad. I've been smoking this pot that stinks so bad even if you wrap it in this plastic and put it in your pocket people will smell it within 10 feet of you on a calm day. Anyway it is pretty strong and mildly hallucinagenic. So you might say as Johnny Cocker would say "I'm doin all right"

So how are you doin,,been up to any shanangins lately??

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I'm getting by, with a little help from my friends. I have a little faith in my freinds...

I take it you were considered an oddball in the hall who never "progressed" spiritually to the point of ever serving in a position? I say this because you don't even resemble a Jehovah's Witness. You lived a lie as one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

As I said, gumby had it closest so far. I'm not living a lie. I am being true to myself, and loyal to the people I dearly love in the best damned way I know how. Other than that one tidbit of difference, gumby got it right. Almost as though gumby knew me... almost.

Which is pretty remarkable seeing as how neither Steve or Joy ever picked up on it even though both of them were looking right at what gumby saw my posts. I think HICFlyGirl sort of figured it out, though.

Someone mentioned an odd code? I agree, I suppose. That can be all that is left to those who choose what I have chosen.

Respectfully,
    B_Ing Invisible (get it?)

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

OldSoul,

You are going to have to face the grim reality eventually that as an "odd ball" JW you are going to find more in common with about 50% of the folks here than even 1 % of the friends at the Kingdom Hall. You might even find more acceptance and love.

But it is all about truth, not acceptance and love. So we must stick to the issues.

Steve

• elipton
    elipton

My personal opinion will ofcourse be different then yours, but I have found it hard to talk to my freinds on simple matters like this. the way I understand it (and I am most likely wrong) everyone has a mosaic of past experience and memories as they perceve them. If the topic or subject doesnt fit in the puzzle, most are not willing to change there mosaic in order to fit this new information. I wonder how much we too are subject to this problem.

P.S. : I can't spell.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Elipton,

Welcome to JWD.

everyone has a mosaic of past experience and memories as they perceve them. If the topic or subject doesnt fit in the puzzle, most are not willing to change there mosaic in order to fit this new information.

That is why some have a problem with discussions of spirituality. Most of us have left oppressive religion behind and are uncoverable with any dialog that sounds or looks like pieces that once belonged to that old mosaic we have discarded.

Some of us are just suggesting that, while the mosaic of the controling WT religion is flawed and should be discarded, perhaps our new mosaic would be more complete if we didn't discard everthing that simply reminded us of the flawed mosaic.

My spirituallity is fed more by physics than anything else at this time. Yet I see many of the pieces from my religious backround fitting into this new scientific mosaic.

Steve

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    elipton: If the topic or subject doesnt fit in the puzzle, most are not willing to change there mosaic in order to fit this new information.

Firstly, Welcome!

Secondly, most are not willing to see any topic or subject that doesn't fit in their mosaic if they believe their mosaic is THE Mosaic?. It is as if those topics and subjects don't even exist. Like having a picture on a box and lots of leftover pieces that "don't belong" in the puzzle, they are free to throw away any pieces of reality that aren't part of that picture. Often they think God painted the picture on their box, but they fail to realize they themselves are the artists responsible for their limited view.

I believe they would usually be better put throwing away the box, keeping the mosaic they had before (for the most part) and starting from there to make a more freeform mosaic. The picture might not look like a specific thing, or place, or event but look what fun they'll have enjoyed in the making of it. And it will surely end up closer to something they can feel personally attached to than if they followed the "picture on the box."

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit