Let's all show up at the Memorial - and gasp - Partake!

by AK - Jeff 49 Replies latest social humour

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    who would want to drink that CHEAP WINE ?...

My first hall used to buy a pretty good burgandy. Probably the elders got together later to drink it.

I would rather have a ritz cracker than whatever it is they pass around on those cheap platters....

I wonder if the elders would object to someone bringing some herb and garlic dip to make the wafers a little more palatable.

The JW memorial celebration (if you can call it that) always annoyed me. One lousy celebration in an entire year, and they pass around a few wafers of dry bread and a few half glasses of wine, and all you're allowed to do is look at it! How bloody cheap can you get?

I can just visualise it as a Monty Python sketch though!

There's more wisdom in one Monty Python movie than there is in a hundred years of watchtower literature.

Walter

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    The JW memorial celebration (if you can call it that) always annoyed me

It's actually an UN-celebration - they all meet together to pass the bread and the wine and reject it. It's a rejection feast!

• franklin J
    franklin J

a rejection feast.....HOW APPROPRIATE !

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

In my years as a JW I never thought of it as a rejection feast, but now I see nothing describes it better.

Walter

• heathen
    heathen

Dorothy ----

But grown adults with soundness of mind, carrying on like lunatics and trying to "sign up" as many others as possible??? They're asking for it!

LMFAO Even this doctrine of theirs that says all congruents must arrive to observe is completely insane . The bible is very clear that only those intent on eating and drinking are ivited . Also laughing at the don't make fun of the afflicted post ......... It's really a little early to go into another one of these discussions anyway ...........

• Triple A
    Triple A
    a rejection feast

IMO it is the Catch 22 of the WTS.

If you attend and pass the wine and bread, you are rejecting Christ.

If you partake of the wine and bread, than you drinking and eating to an Angel.

So, no matter which you do it is wrong.

• heathen
    heathen

Triple A --- With this comment

If you partake of the wine and bread, than you drinking and eating to an Angel

Are you saying the WTBTS accuses people of spiritism or something condemned for participating in one of the most important celebrations of christianity ? This is something I haven't heard but I have heard that they believe only those claiming anointment are supposed to eat and drink and they already have a good idea of who they are and for anybody else to eat and drink is cause for harassment from the congregation. The bible really only condemns people that are leading double lives or that have already had dinner prior to the gathering . It really is supposed to be an actual dinner and people were to bring what they had including wine and bread which of were to be used in the symbolic referrence to jesus suffering . Jesus and his apostles did eat dinner prior to partaking in the ritual . These people are so screwed up they even make idols out of the food and don't realize it .

• Triple A
    Triple A

heathen,

My thought is that the WTS beleives that Jesus is Michael the Archangel. So if you participate in the eating and drinking, who are you doing it to? You said that it symbolic reference to Jesus' suffering.

including wine and bread which of were to be used in the symbolic referrence to jesus suffering .

So those that participate are doing so in celebration to an angel.

Heathen, when I participate at my church, I do so to remembering that Jesus died as a substitute for me. But he was not a substitute for God, I do not eat or drink to angels or the cross itself. A Christian Rock singer (sorry do not know his name) says in reference to Christ dieing on the cross, "It is not because of who I am, but because of what you have done. It is not because of what I have done, but because of who you are." Triple A

• heathen
    heathen

ohhhh so you are not saying the congregation of jehovah witness told you that but that it is something you concocted on your own ? True the belief is that jesus christ was michael the archangel but the point of the celebration is to remember that the "man" jesus christ died to cancel out the sin of adam that brought the curse of death along with it and that those excercising faith in christ might not be destroyed . The only thing I think the WTBTS has right in conection to this ritual is that it substituted the jewish passover celebration and was only done once a year . Just as jehovahs angel passed over the jewish homes when they put the lambs blood on their doorways so is the belief that the blood of christ will redeem those and keep them safe in the day of Gods wrath and the conclusion of this system of things in a symbolic way . IMO

• Triple A
    Triple A

heathen,

Yes, IMO is how I started that post. But lets look at your last statement:

True the belief is that jesus christ was michael the archangel but the point of the celebration is to remember that the "man" jesus christ died to cancel out the sin of adam that brought the curse of death along with it and that those excercising faith in christ might not be destroyed .
    If it is not a celebration to the Archangel Michael, than it is to a "man", equally as blasphemous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit