Our 8-year-old son, Jackson, is exhibiting the following symptoms:
* disorganized (unfortunately, this has kind of been since birth but more pronounced now)
* hard to concentrate
* mind wanders
* can't multi-task (send him upstairs to brush his teeth and put on his shoes and socks and you may find him standing stock-still five or ten minutes later -- "oh, I forgot!")
* easily frustrated -- will burst into tears and/or get angry if you try to push him to finish something more quickly
* having trouble finishing work in school because he's always slower than the other children (he says his brain kind of freezes up and he can't think of what to write)
* likes to lose himself in Game Boy, computer games, and TV (watched by himself)
* stomach aches
* frequent illnesses (like weird viruses that seemingly come out of nowhere)
It seems to be a lot worse this year -- we think his 1st & 2nd grade teachers really coddled him and this one is a little more no-nonsense.
HOWEVER, he consistently gets straight A's in school! He is very smart. He plays great with the kids and his friends. He's great in math and does fine in reading (hates to write, though).
He says he gets "frustrated" at school and he has a hard time concentrating because he's tired all the time. He says he doesn't sleep well.
Poor kid, he takes so many medicines for his asthma that I can well believe he IS tired all the time. We don't know whether to take the hard line with him to try to force him to march through the day with more organization -- I was thinking of making a list of things for him to do so he has something to refer to -- or if there's something else going on of which we are not aware.
Any suggestions? Does this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for your input!