Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie

by Farkel 747 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

A former Bethelite sent me some interesting information regarding the Heaths. It seems that Joe Lubeck, showed his personal film to the entire Bethel family on Family night sometime in the 1980s or early 1990s. According to my friend:

"Lubeck said he was the gardener and handyman at Beth Shan when he was young. The film showed Rutherford walking with an old man who Lubeck identified as Mr. Heath, president of Coca Cola, who Lubeck said financed and gave as a gift to Rutherford, Beth Shan. Lubeck was emphatic when he stressed that Watchtower had nothing to do with the building of Beth Shan. He definitely stated that this gentleman was not a JW. Most Bethelites who saw the film were shocked because the majority did not know there was a place called Beth Shan in WT history, including most people in the Executive Offices. This was a topic of conversation for days after the film was shown. Joe Lubeck's wife was named Rose. He may still be alive living at Bethel.

"Also, a relative of Bonnie Heath told me that she lived out her later years in Atlanta, GA. This shows that the early connection of Heaths to Georgia continued until Wm and Bonnie's death.

"That same relative told me that Mr. Heath gave Rutherford his Cadillac cars that were parked in Beth Sarim's garage. It is well documented that Bonnie's husband was always Rutherford's driver of the cars. Also, I was told that Bonnie's husband had no money at that time because Coca Cola had been sold. Bonnie's husband was known to be a drunk! Perhaps support of Bonnie and Wm Heath by Rutherford and the Watchtower, later on, continued because of the gift of Beth Shan to Rutherford by Mr. Heath Sr. It is not inconceivable that an arrangement was set up and the Heaths received regular monthly checks from the WT until death because WT is very loyal to those who were part of the inner group in the early years during tough times. To this day, very few people know that certain ex-Bethelites receive money as special pioneers although they do not pioneer. The money is a reward for spending years of faithfulness in Bethel in a prominent position, but had to leave because of illness, etc.

One of Bonnie's sisters, a JW, married a man by the name of Black. He was at one time president of The World Bank. She entertained diplomats and politicians placing WT books with them. I remember her telling her physician, a JW, about her experiences witnessing to those in the world of wealth and power."

The above information may explain why William Heath Jr. lost his job as plant manager and why he was so quickly taken into Rutherford's inner circle. One can imagine the good times the two men must have had over a bottle of Jack Daniels. Bonnie's sister may also be a promising lead. Being married to the president of the World Bank, there may be more information out there about her and her family than we realize. Anyway there is more research to do.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

HEY GUYS, THIS IS TURNING INTO A REALLY-REALLY INTERESTING THREAD.

IF YOU ARE HAVING HALF THE FUN DOING THIS AS I AM READING IT, YOU'LL NEVER STOP!!!

I HOPE THIS LEADS INTO MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THESE ALLEY CATS AND THEIR CONDUCT.

Outoftheorg

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My goodness! What a tale! Could Bonnie Boyd have a close family connection with such a mover-and-shaker as Eugene R. Black, president of the World Bank (1949-1962). Hmmm....one could think of some wild conspiracy theories about Watchtower money and the World Bank, but no, I won't do that.

Eugene R. Black was a courtly Georgian who became one of the world's most influential figures as President of the World Bank from 1949-1962. Mr. Black was 93 years old when he died in 1991. The future World Banker was born on May 1, 1898 in Atlanta and graduated in 1917 from The University of Georgia. He later served in the Navy in World War I and then joined the Atlanta office of Harris Forbes & Company, a New York bond and banking house. The banking community respected him for his knowledge of the bond market. In 1947, Mr. Black joined the World Bank as Executive Director for the United States. In his 13 years as President of the World Bank, Mr. Black built that international organization from 48 member nations with a capital base of $8.3 billion to 80 with a capital base of $20.5 billion.

http://www.uga.edu/honors/fellows/about-program/index.html

Well, Georgia sounds about right, at least as far as the Heaths are concerned. But Bonnie's sister? Well, check this out. I looked up Eugene R. Black in the 1930 census and found him rather easily. He appears as a resident of Buckhead, Fulton County, Georgia, 31 years old (pointing to a birth in 1898-1899, which matches the info in the quote above), born in Georgia, and employed as "Representative -- Bond House". Now, his wife was Susette H. Black, aged 21 (pointing to a birth in 1908-1909), born in Georgia. Now, isn't that name familiar? Well, William P. Heath, Jr. had a sister named Susette Heath, according to the 1920 census. And in that census, she was 11 years old -- that is, born in 1908-1909!! The middle initial "H" would also fit..."H" standing for "Heath". So, your story seems to indeed fit quite well, except the woman in question would be Bonnie's sister-in-law, and not blood sister.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

According to the Social Security Death Index, Susette H. Black was born in August 20, 1908 and died in Southampton, Suffolk, New York, on June 26, 2001. This matches the age given in both censuses. In the 2000 Phone Directory, she lived at 330 Meeting House Lane, Southampton, NY and her phone number used to be 631 area code.

The following webpage advertises a book of Recipes of Famous Persons with "Recipes by Dwight D. Eisenhower, Eleanor Roosevelt, Susette Black, Mrs. Thomas E. Dewey, Cole Porter, Judy Holliday, Lily Pons, Adlai E. Stevenson, etc."

http://www.epier.com/BiddingForm.asp?79302

I bet there's some stuff out there on her if one is inclined to do library archival research.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yippee, it's a bona fide confirmation!

Eugene R. Black, an investment banker, government adviser and off-Broadway playwright, died on April 24 in Manhattan. He was 75. A message about his death was misdirected within The Times on April 26. Mr. Black, who in recent years lived in East Hampton, N.Y., and Palm Beach, Fla., was chairman of a committee that advised Mayor John V. Lindsay on cultural affairs in 1966. He also headed a government-sponsored group that in 1972 recommended changes in New York City's regulation of theaters. He was chairman of the Circle in the Square Theater and served on the boards of the Lincoln Center Repertory Company and the Stratford Shakespeare Theater. For many years a general partner in the Wall Street investment firm of Lazard Freres & Company, Mr. Black specialized in international finance and was an adviser to the United States Treasury in the Ford and Carter administrations. In 1980, he became a special assistant to the Secretary of the Interior in Washington and later was an adviser to the Sanwa Bank of Japan. But Mr. Black also began writing plays and novels, often using the pen name Franklyn MacGregor. His plays included "The Cleansing of George Cuthbert," a comedy produced in New York in 1998, and "Camelot Lost," a drama about Marilyn Monroe, produced in Boca Raton, Fla., in 1999. Eugene Robert Black was born July 19, 1924, in Atlanta. He was named after his father, the president of the World Bank from 1949 to 1962, and his grandfather, who was chairman of the Federal Reserve in 1933 and 1934. He graduated from Yale, served as a lieutenant in the Marine Corps in World War II and later studied at Oxford University. He is survived by his wife, Susanne Hardwick Black; two daughters, Susan Black Allen of New York and Brittany Black of Palm Beach; a son, E. Robert Black of Beaufort, N.C.; a sister, Elizabeth Black Campbell; a brother, William H. Black of Southampton, N.Y.; his stepmother, Susette Heath Black; and two grandchildren. (New York Times, August 10, 2000, p. C-22)

Hmmm, so Eugene R. Black III had Susette Heath (William P. Heath, Jr.'s sister) as his step-mother? If he was born in 1924, this suggests that his father married into the Heath family sometime later. Indeed, looking back at the 1930 census, we can see that Eugene R. Black, Jr. was first married when he was 19 years old (i.e. in 1917) whereas Susette was first married when she was 21 (i.e. in 1929-1930). And, interestingly, William P. Heath, Jr's father-in-law through his sister was the then chairman of the Federal Reserve??? And of course, the very rich family of the Pratts and Heaths? I really have to wonder what the Heaths and Susette Black thought of the Judge's anti-Big Business rhetoric. The Judge seemed quite cozy indeed with those representing Big Business and Big Money.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Dang! You beat me to it, Leolaia...nice work! It was a fun search. Still, I was really hoping to learn more about the identity of Bonnie Boyd and her family. Oh well.

One source said that Mr. Black "had a patrician aloofness" and "The Bank was known as Mr. Black's Bank." There are brief histories of him at web.worldbank.org (home>about us>archives) and an obituary at the Atlanta Journal Constitution (of which his grandfather Henry W. Grady was once editor).

It really is interesting the connections the old Judge had and cultivated one way or another!

Makes me wonder what modern-day connections there are that we don't know about...

Does anyone know if Bonnie Boyd was married before she came to Bethel at the age of 24? Maybe Boyd was her married name rather than her maiden name. And was her mother never mentioned by name in any of the Olin Moyle transcripts?

I found a couple of Archie Boyds but don't know how (or if I can) investigate them further. Let me know if you want what bits I do have.

--Merry Merry

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The plot thickens more.

I took a second look at the 1930 census data on the Blacks. Turns out that Eugene R. Black, Jr., Susette H. Black, and their two children Elizabeth B. Black and Eugene R. Black III lived with another family, the Treseders. Ross C. Treseder, 39 years old, was the head of the family and his wife was Elizabeth P. Treseder, aged 29. Ross was born in Wisconsin, while Elizabeth P. was born in Missouri -- and her mother was born in Iowa. This raises the slight possibility of a connection with Rutherford or Bonnie. But the real interesting thing is what Ross C. Treseder did for a living. His occupation was listed as "Sales Manager -- Soft. Drink Company". Perhaps this should not be surprising, considering that Susette Heath Black herself had a brother and uncle in the Coca-Cola Co.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Check this out...

May 23, 1933

Impeachment Charges

Congressman Mr. McFadden
    Mr. Speaker, I rise to a question of constitutional privilege. On my own responsibility as a Member of the House of Representatives, I impeach Eugene Meyer, former member of the Federal Reserve Board; Roy Meyer, former member of the Federal Reserve Board; Roy A. Young, former member of the Federal Reserve Board; Edmund Platt, former member of the Federal Reserve Board; Eugene R. Black, member of the Federal Reserve Board and officer of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta; Adolph Caspar Miller, member of the Federal Reserve Board; Charles S. Hamlin, member of the Federal Reserve Board; George R. James, member of the Federal Reserve Board; Andrew W. Mellon, former Secretary of the United States Treasury and former ex-officio member of the Federal Reserve Board; Ogden L. Mills, former Secretary of the United States Treasury and former ex-officio member of the Federal Reserve Board; William H. Woodin, Secretary of the United States Treasury and ex-officio member of the Federal Reserve Board; John W. Pole, former Comptroller of the Currency and former ex-offico member of the Federal Reserve Board; J. F. T. O'Connor, Comptroller of the Currency and ex-offico member of the Federal Reserve Board; F. H. Curtiss, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston; J. H. Case, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York; R. L. Austin, Federal agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia; George De Camp, former Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland; L. B. Williams, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland; W. W. Hoxton, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond; Oscar Newton, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta; E. M. Stevens, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago; J. S. Wood, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis; J. N. Peyton, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis; M. L. McClure, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City; C. C. Walsh, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas; Isaac B. Newton, Federal Reserve agent of the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, jointly and severally, of high crimes and misdemeanors, and offer the following resolution:

Whereas I charge the aforesaid Eugene Meyer, Roy A. Young, Edmund Platt, Eugene R. Black, Adolph Caspar Miller, Charles S. Hamlin, George R. James, Andrew W. Mellon, Ogden L. Mills, William H. Woodin, John W. Pole, J. F. T. O'Connor, members of the Federal Reserve Board; F. H. Curtiss, J. H. Case, R. L. Austin, George De Camp, L. B. Williams, W. W. Hoxton, Oscar Newton, E. M. Stevens, J. S. Wood, J. N. Peyton, M. L. McClure, C. C. Walsh, Isaac B. Newton, Federal Reserve Agents, Jointly and severally, with violations of the Constitution and laws of the United States, and whereas I charge them with having taken funds from the United States Treasury which were not appropriated by the Congress of the United States, and I charge them with having unlawfully taken over $80,000,000,000 from the United States Government in the year 1928, the said unlawful taking consisting of the unlawful creation of claims against the United States Treasury to the extent of over $80,000,000,000 in the year 1928 and I charge them with similar thefts committed in 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932 and 1933, and in years previous to 1928, amounting to billions of dollars; and Whereas I charge them, jointly and severally, with having unlawfully created claims against the United States Treasury by unlawfully placing United States Government credit in specific amounts to the credit of foreign governments and foreign central banks of issue; private interests and commercial and private banks of the United States and foreign countries, and branches of foreign banks doing business in the United States, to the extent of billions of dollars; and with having made unlawful contracts in the name of the United States Government and the United States Treasury; and with having made false entries on books of account; and

etc. etc.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Excellent research Leolaia. I will check to see if my friend meant to say that Bonnie's sister-in-law was married to Eugene Black Sr.

Interesting information Merry. If Black and his buddies made off with $80,000,000,000 in 1928, no wonder the country was in a depression by 1929. But it also raises another question. Was the Watch Tower under Rutherford used to launder some of this stolen money?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hmmmmmmmm.....verrrrrry interesting. That would be a real scandal, if it could be linked clearly to the WTS. I wonder what Eugene's own religious affiliation was. Was it just his wife who was a Witness, or could he have also contributed money to support Rutherford's corporation?

What was the outcome of the proceedings?

BTW, could someone check older publications like Barbara G. Harrison, Schell, Cole, MacMillan, etc. to see if any reference is made to the Heaths or Bonnie?

larc....Have you been able to get a pic of Berta online yet?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit