Rutherford Exposed: The Story of Berta and Bonnie

by Farkel 747 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

Leolaia,

I got the exact two points from TerraServer, but didn't get a hit on the sample Hampton house numbers I tried, so I was afraid the first point was only a default.

In addition to mapquest (which once supported satellite photos as an additional tab), I have found that the combination of USGS topographical maps and TerraServer satellite photos can be enormously helpful in understanding proximity in some neighborhoods. In rural areas, for example you may even discover whether a house on a hill, for example, was in a line of sight with a house a half-mile away, and whether back roads (not on mapquest) connected properties.

For reference, here is an excellent resource for that kind of research.

http://terraserver-usa.com/cmap.aspx?src=0&ppd=1&r=4&c=3&W=0&ClickAt=?0,0

At some levels of magnification you can switch back and forth between the USGS topographical view (which may also distinguish both inhabited and abandoned houses, cemeteries, quarries, etc.) and the satellite view. You get excellent satellite magnification levels for free. (Higher magnifaction for a fee.) The "Advanced Find" points to specific addresses, which can be marked on either kind of map.

There's also:

http://nmviewogc.cr.usgs.gov/viewer.htm

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I suspect that the reason why you did not get a hit with that house number is that further blocks westward on HAMPTON STREET were continued on what is now W HAMPTON STREET (and possibly further if the railroad is later than 1930), but because it doesn't line up neatly with HAMPTON STREET it was renamed and the blocks possibly renumbered.

That site looks great, might try it out some time.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here are some more newspaper articles about the Heaths:

"Mrs. Mary Taylor announces the engagement of her daughter, Susie, to Mr. William Pratt Heath, the wedding to occur at the Park Street Methodist church, November 16th, Dr. Daves officiating." (Atlanta Constitution, 23 October 1900, p. 11)
    "An important event in the social life of West End and one of interest thoroughout the city will be the marriage of Miss Susie Taylor and Mr. William Pratt Heath, the ceremony to occur at 11 o'clock on the morning of the 14th of November, Rev. J. T. Daves officiating....They will be attended by six of their intimate friends. Miss Caroline Howell will be maid of honor. Mr. A. T. Heath, best man; Miss Alice May Lee, of St. Louis, and Miss Elise Heath, bridesmaids; Mr. Joseph Rhodes and Mr. Edwin Minhinnett, groomsmen, and Mr. Micajah Taylor and Mr. R. S. MacDonald, ushers. Miss Taylor is a charming young women, a pretty brunette, and her wedding gowm of blue cloth will be most becoming....Mr. Heath is a well-known chemist who is rapidly advancing in his profession and has found time as well to keep a large circle of friends. He will leave with his bride for Florida immediately after the ceremony." (Atlanta Constitution, October 28, 1900, p. 23)
    "The marriage this morning of Miss Susie Taylor and Mr. William Pratt Heath will occur at Park street Methodist church and will be the occasion of bringing together a large number of friends." (Atlanta Constitution, 14 November 1900, p. 11)
    "Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Taylor Heath announce the engagement of their daughter, Natalie, to Mr. Arthur J. Merrill, the wedding to occur on the evening of June 8 at 7 o'clock at West End Presbyterian church." (Atlanta Constitution, May 14, 1903, p. 8)
    "Last evening at her home on Forrest avenue, Mrs. George Pratt entertained at a flinch party in compliment to Miss Nathalie Heath and Mr. Merrill. The decorations which were very effective, were in white and yellow and quantities of daisies were placed about the rooms and hallway. The score cards were painted in daisies and the ices were also frozen in the shade of these flowers. Mrs. Pratt received her guests in a dainty gown of white chiffon and Miss Heath was also gowned in white. The guests included ... Mr. and Mrs. William Heath, Miss Elsie Heath, ... Miss Annie D. Howell, Miss Mary Howell, ... Miss Emma Pratt, ... and Mr. A. J. Merrill." (Atlanta Constitution, June 5, 1903, p. 8)
    "A beautiful wedding will be that of Miss Annie Darling Howell and Mr. Alfred Taylor Heath, Jr., which takes place this evening at 6:30 o'clock at the home of the bride's parents, Colonel and Mrs. Albert Howell, Sr., in West End....After the wedding trip Mr. Heath and his bride will make their home in Chattanooga." (Atlanta Constitution, June 23, 1903, p. 5)
    "A beautiful wedding was that of Miss Annie Darling Howell and Mr. Alfred Taylor Heath, Jr., which took place yesterday afternoon at 6:30 o'clock at the residence of the bride's parents, Colonel and Mrs. Albert Howell, West End. Rev. G. W. Bull performed the ceremony in the presence of relatives and a few intimate friends. Mr. William Heath was best man and Miss Ethel Stuart was maid of honor. Miss. Elizabeth Woodward and Miss Elise Heath were bridemaids and the ushers were Mr. Hook Spratling and Mr. Carlton Smith....The bride is the daughter of Colonel and Mrs. Albert Howell. Her mother was Miss Emmie Hook, of Augusta, and she represents on both sides two of the oldest and best known families in the state. She is beautiful, talented, and lovable and is the center of a large circle of warm friends. The groom is one of the best known and most popular young men in Atlanta and is making an excellent record in the business world." (Atlanta Constitution, June 24, 1903, p. 2)
    "Then there is the family of Pratt, who were in the Roswell colony of people, coming from the coast country, along with the Bullochs, Kings, Dunwoodys, and Joneses, when they settled at the place called Roswell before the civil war. The elder Pratt was a Presbyterian preacher, and he was also one of the officiating ministers at the marriage of Mr. [Theodore] Roosevelt and Miss Mittie Bullock. The Pratts are connected with the Bullochs and Dunwoodys by marriages of the members of the families. Captain Charles A. Pratt, of this city, a civil engineer, has children. One of his daughters married Mr. Elzie B. Thomas, physician, and lecturer in the Eclectic Medical College in this city. Captain Pratt's sister married Captain Alfred T. Heath, living on Ashby street, in West End, in this city. One son of Captain Heath, William P. Heath, married the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M. Taylor of West end. Another son, A. T. Heath, Jr. married a daughter [i.e. Annie Howell] of Colonel Albert Howell, Sr. of West End." (Atlanta Constitution, October 8, 1905, p. 4)
    "Judge James Schley Hook was the center of a happy family reunion last evening, the occasion being the celebration of his eighty-second birthday at the home of his daughter Mrs. Tyre L. Jennings, in West End. The guests included the children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren of Judge Hook....Among the guests were Judge Hook's children with their husbands and wives: Colonial and Mrs. Albert Howell [Mrs. A. T. Heath was born "Annie Howell"] Mr. and Mrs. F. J. Spaulding....Among the grandchildren were Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Taylor Heath....The one great grandchild present was Dorothy Heath, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Taylor Heath." (Atlanta Constitution, March 25, 1906, p. 2)
    "Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Taylor Heath will return to their home in Sumter, S. C., after having been the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Roy Collier at their home on Peachtree street. They motored to Atlanta to attend the Tech-Auburn and Georgia-Darthmouth football games." (Atlanta Constitution, November 27, 1921, p. 4)

Interesting, the connection between William P. Heath, Sr.'s grandfather Rev. N. A. Pratt and President Theodore Roosevelt. These clippings also confirm various aspects of the discussion above regarding Alfred T. Heath, his relation to William P. Heath, Sr, and Natalie Heath. Susie Taylor apparently was the first in the family to become a Bible Student.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just dug up Alfred T. Heath, Jr.'s draft card form WWI, and it gives his birthdate as September 27, 1882. He gave the name of his wife as Annie D. Heath, his occupation as "V.P." of (illegible), and his town as Augusta, GA. He did not give an exemption for registration, just like William P. Heath, Jr. So even if Susie Taylor Heath had become a Bible Student by this time (i.e. in 1918), it is clear that her husband and brother-in-law were not Bible Students.

Just for fun, I thought I'd look up the draft cards of other ppl. I found the card for Isaac Francis Hoskins, one of the deposed directors, and he gave his occupation as "Minister -- Pastoral Bible Institute," and this was on September 12, 1918.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Leolaia,

It may be straying a bit but there are more tidbits about the N.P. Pratts if you are curious in that direction : www.barringtonhall-roswell.com/_wsn/page5.html 2 paragraphs starting at "As Captain Timothy King, he was a hero of the American Revolution..." and http://douglasvanveelen.home.mindspring.com/chapter4.htm starting with "By the September 1 issue of Railroad Review, it was reported that N.P. Pratt was interested in a line from Clermont to the Pyrites & Chemical Corporation's property..."

I was also wondering if you had explored the somewhat farfetched (?) possibility that Bonnie Boyd might be the daughter of August Balko Jr's sister Patty. I don't have access to enough info to work through the details that could either confirm or disconfirm. Maybe there is a connection between the Balko's of Texas and Joseph Balko of Iowa, too, since that is where Bonnie Boyd was said to have been born. Iowa State Census, 1895, Joseph Balko, age 18, born in Bohemia. www.usgennet.org/usa/ia/county/linn/census/1895statecollege.txt

And I also wanted to throw out to you that in addition to there being a Blanch Post of the right age in the 1910 Missouri census, there is also a Blanch Plank, born 1905, Christian County, mother: Alice, father: John, brother: George, and sister: Elise.

Hope something pans out soon w/ Bonnie Boyd and Blanch P., it's driving me crazy (in the best possible way). Congrats again on all the great new info!!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

This is all very interesting. What is important in making all these links to people is that you are backing the info up with solid pieces of research.

Bravo to all of you who are working on it. I am avidly following along as I suspect know many others are - this thread has almost 10,000 views on it in one month since it was posted

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Today I called the Sumter County Museum and didn't learn that much that was new....just that Alfred T. Heath, Jr. started working for Coca-Cola in 1913 and he purchased the already-existing Carolina Coca-Coca Bottling Co. franchise in 1918. Then, as we know, his nephew William P. Heath, Jr., the future husband of Bonnie Boyd, moved to the area and worked in management at the company. But I don't yet have the specifics about that. I also called the Sumter Geneological Society, and with a small fee they might be able to find out more. The other possibility is to talk to the Heath family directly, which it what the person at the Museum suggested. She also confirmed that Bill S. Heath, the late president of the company, was indeed the son of Alfred T. Heath, Jr.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Excellent research everyone. Here is some more information that might prove helpful. The following quotes are taken from the Moyle transcripts. Bonnie Boyd Heath is being questioned by Moyle's attorney, Walter Bruchhausen about the residents on the 7th floor at the 124 building during the years 1935-1939 and also about Mrs. Peal. See pages1380-1382.

Q: So only you, and your mother and Mr. Rutherford were up there during those four years?

Bonnie: That is right.

Q: During that time that I have just referred to, Mr. Rutherford traveled considerably, didn't he?

Bonnie: Yes, he did.

Q: And you went along with him?

Bonnie: Yes, sir.

Q: You and your mother?

Bonnie: Yes; and others.

Q: Who were the others?

Bonnie: Well, there was Mr. Keller, and Mrs. Peal and several others--Mr Diderian, Mr. Howlett.

Q: When did Mrs. Peal first come to Bethel?

Bonnie: 1938.

Q: She is the dietician that you referred to?

Bonnie: Yes, and my personal friend.

Q: Where did she come from?

Bonnie: Ohio.

Q: Had she been a dietician out there?

Bonnie: Oh, yes.

Q: Working with whom?

Bonnie: She wasn't working.

Q: How long before that had she been a dietician?

Bonnie: I couldn't tell you, sir.

Q: Had you visited her out there?

Bonnie: Yes.

Q: Mr. Rutherford, also?

Bonnie: No, I don't think he knew her before she came to Bethel.

Q: You introduced her to Mr. Rutherford?

Bonnie: Well, I asked him if he would bring her there.

I won't make any editorial comments on the above, but let everyone form their own conclusions. However, in re-reading the transcripts I got the feeling that Bonnie was squirming in the witness chair when asked about Mrs. Peal.

On page 1367 Bonnie was asked: "And where is your mother located now?"

Bonnie: "My mother is home in Texas."

Judging from Bonnie's answer, in 1943 she and her mother must have considered Texas home. Unfortunately the transcripts don't reveal whether Bonnie and her mother were residing in Texas in 1923 when they were called to Bethel. But if they had left Iowa and in 1923 were residents of Texas, that could explain a Balko connection.

The following is found on page 1259 of the transcripts and William Heath is being questioned by Hayden Covington, the Watch Tower attorney.

Q: You are one of the defendants in this action, are you not?

Heath: Yes.

Q: How long have you been one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Heath: Since 1932.

Q: And your mother is one of Jehovah's Witnesses, is she?

Heath: Yes, she is.

Q: How long has she been one of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Heath: Since about 1915.

Q: Did you know Judge Rutherford during his lifetime?

Heath: Yes, I did.

Q: How long were you acquainted with him?

Heath: I first became acquainted with him about 1934.

On pages 1294-1295 Heath is cross examined by Moyle's attorney.

Q: Where did you come from before you took up your residence in Bethel?

Heath: Georgia.

Q: And what year did you leave Georgia?

Heath: Well, I left it the first time, I believe, about 1922. Then I was there again before I came to Bethel.

Q: What employments did you have before you went to Bethel?

Heath: I worked as a salesman.

Q: Selling what?

Heath: Coca-Cola.

Q: Did you become a minister?

Heath: Yes.

Q: When?

Heath: In 1932.

Q: How long did you study to become a minister?

Heath: I had studied seven or eight years.

Q: At the Watch Tower classes?

Heath: No, not classes. I had the books and the Bible, and I studied both.

Q: Did you belong to an organized church before you became a Jehovah?

Heath: No.

Q: No church at all?

Heath: I wasn't a member of one. I had attended a good many.

Unfortunately Heath doesn't give much information about his where-abouts during the years of his first marriage. But if his memory was correct he was in Georgia part of 1937, the year he left for Bethel. I hope that this information will prove helpful.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thanks for the info. We know from census data that William P. Heath, Jr. was still living in Atlanta, GA with his father in 1920, as he was still only 16 years old. In his Moyle testimony, Heath Jr. states that he first left Georgia in 1922, and in that year he would've been 18 years old, an adult, and in all likelihood he went to South Carolina to work for his uncle Alfred T. Heath, Jr., who had been running the Carolina Coca-Cola Bottling Co. since 1919. But it is curious that he described himself as a Coca-Cola "salesman". That sounds pretty lowly for a man of such means. The census in 1930 described him as a "manager of a bottling plant".

The other interesting thing is that he returned to Georgia to live before coming to Bethel. From what we know about Dorothy Smith Heath, it looks like she stayed behind in SC where she later married Onan A. Hydrick. So does that mean they were legally separated (or informally separated) for several years before the official divorce? And if Heath Jr. studied for 7-8 years before being baptized in 1932, does that mean that he first started his involvement with the Bible Students in 1924-1925? Could religion have been a factor in the separation and divorce?

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Hi Leolaia,

Yes, it is interesting that under oath Heath said he was just a saleman for CocaCola, when the census data shows that he was a plant manager in 1930. But there are two possibilities as to why he answered the way he did. 1. Because he was a defendant in this trial and since Moyle was seeking a monetary settlement, Heath may have purposely tried to give the impression that he was just a lowly salesman and so didn't have any money. 2. Heath wasn't competant to run a bottling plant and they had to let him go. But since he was a relative they found him a position for him on the sales staff where he could do minimal damage.

Unfortunately Heath didn't say how long he lived in Georgia before going to Bethel. It could have been only a few months. However, he and his wife must have been separated when he was called to Bethel, but again we don't know how long a separation. We do know that Heath initiated the divorce because he wanted to marry Bonnie. We don't know if Heath's first wife contested. Did she refuse to grant him a divorce in her home state so that he had to go to Las Vegas? What settlement, if any did the first wife get? Were children involved?

If Heath and his first wife had children, chances are they are still alive. What would they have to say about their father, step mother, and Judge Rutherford?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit