Do you like your name?

by Xena 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

Desib77 started a thread about changing her name. Made me think about my name, I've always liked it. I doubt I would ever want to change it....so would you ever want to change yours and if so, to what?

Xena of the pointless posts class

• JH
    JH

I like my name, because it stands out.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I don't like my name and once when I moved to an area that no one knew me started using my middle name. It was 6 months and it felt like I was an imposter, but at the same time it was fun.

• kls
    kls

No i hate it so folks usually call me Kate.

• desib77
    desib77

I don't like mine. It is not only biblical but it is strange. Most people can't even pronounce it. I much rather switch to my middle name.

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I never, ever liked my name, not my first name and especially not my middle name! I like a variation on my first name though, and I sometimes give it out. But I wonder if it will ever take...with me that is!

Now though, I don't mind my natural name. It's me, after all!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I always hated my name. Even as a kid I hated it. One time I moved to a new school and tried using my middle name but there was another kid with the same name and somehow it wasn't "me" So I dropped it when we moved again (which didn't take long)

After I left the JWs and my ex I decided to really change my name.

Part of my recovery was finding who I really was and I really felt the need to have some kind of name that was more me than the name my mother had given me (by default because it wasn't her first choice - I got the first choice as my second name - Suzanne). And I didn't want to try Suzanne again (after the school experience and I now had 2 aunts named Suzanne and one aunt named Susan)

So I dropped the married name and shorted the first name. It wasn't legal but I used it for just about everything for about 17 years.

Three years ago when I was getting married I wanted to be able to say my vows as Lee so I legally had my name changed. I had to swear that I wasn't trying to commit some kind of fraud and that I had been using the name for a long time and most people knew me as Lee.

Had my new birth certificate in time for the wedding so I could legally be me

old name? = I don't even like to tell but I have before = Shirley (to get the real impact of this name try listening to it screeched across the neigborhood at the top of my parents lungs)

Oh and when I got my original birth certificate they spelled Shirley wrong. My whole life I spelled it the usual way. But the original papers spelled it Shirly - no e - really weird

new name = I love "Lee"

How did I decide? Well years ago I knew a guy named "Asley" Pronounced as assley. Well he worked for a school and there was no way he wanted the kids to know his real name so he shortened it to Lee.

hmmmmm Now I hated it when people called me Shirl but I liked the Lee part so here I am

New first name. New last name A whole new me

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My only issue with my name is that it doesn't really fit a Black girl. I should've be Kesha, I think.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Funny, I have been thinking a lot about this subject lately.

I am of French descent and had a very French name, easy for Americans to pronounce. Then my Mom married a great guy with a very Polish name that is very hard to pronouce and spell. He adopted me and I got this name. I love the guy but hate the name. I write stories and poems and use a pseudonym and had planned to change my legal name to that when the man died. Now I'm thinking of going back to the family name since we have a long history in America, mid 1700's. Mav

• shotgun
    shotgun

Desib77

Happy birthday...Jezabel....no...hmm...Bathsheba maybe...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit