What grammatical errors bug you the most?

by poppers 95 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The one that drives me nuts is the use of I vs. me.

Many people will always use "I" by default and will never use "me" when there are many situations where "me" is the correct usage. As an example: "Jehover took Paul and me to the movies." Most people will drop the "me" and will always use "I" (Jehover took Paul and I to the movies). You would never say: "Jehover took I to the movies" would you? Of course not!

Here is a little trick to tell when you should use "I" or "me":

Take a sentence and remove all of the people from the collection except for the pronoun referring to yourself: Jehover took Paul, John, and me to the movies. Where shall Paul, John and I go today?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Surely you must realize that when people are typing very quickly, often their brain will choose the wrong their, or there or two, too, or to. As for spelling, there are words that no matter how many times you type them you will not remember how to spell them. Words like:

• devastate/devestate
    • desperate/desparate
    • separate/seperate

It's hard to remember whether to use an A or an E.

English is very inconsistent making it hard to remember how to spell some words. And then there are words like catolog that can also be correctly spelled catalogue.

I made A's in grammar and spelling. I still have a tough time remembering some words. It would help if we could have spell check here but then again Brits spell some words differently than Americans do such as colour and color.

When you write a long post sometimes it's a pain in the backside to go back and edit it, so you just don't.

What strikes me as funny, is the person who makes a point of embarrassing others by pointing out errors in spelling and grammar: then the person goes on to make their own spelling and grammatical errors.

While spelling and grammatical errors may tell you something about a person, becoming irritated with him/her over those errors should tell you more important things about yourself.

If made any mistakes here, tough because I don't feel like proofreading. Or was that tuff? Hahaha.

Flyin'

• Scully
    Scully
    While spelling and grammatical errors may tell you something about a person, becoming irritated with him/her over those errors should tell you more important things about yourself.

Amen!

While I have a personal "thing" about my own grammar and spelling and proper usage, I don't stress over other people's mistakes. I'm sure we all have bigger fish to fry than that.

Someone very close to me has a severe learning disability that makes it extremely difficult to transfer words they hear into writing. But they are gifted with artistic ability and are wonderful story-tellers and can draw the most amazing things. Intelligence and talent are not necessarily reflected in a person's ability to spell and use correct grammar.

Love, Scully

• glitter
    glitter

Prolly

Aaaarrrrgh! Me too!

I cannot abide it when people use billions of commas everywhere, like this:

LOL,,,,,we went to the park today,,,,did you know there is a new playground? we bought icecream but the kids dropped them and cried,,,,,and the dog pooed right in the middle of the bowling green,,,,what a day.

It's usually a sure sign the writer is a complete and utter mentalist and ought to be avoided at all costs. (Apologies if anyone here does it! :))

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

behooves - oh I know, it's not ungrammatical - I just don't like it!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Intelligence and talent are not necessarily reflected in a person's ability to spell and use correct grammar.

This is very true. One of the most intelligent and kind men I have known could not read or write. He somehow managed to run a cement block making plant for a huge readymix company in Atlanta. He owned his own home and restored cars to like new condition. He managed his money very well and had thousands and thousands of dollars in the bank. Eventually he went to classes and learned to read and write.

The funny thing is that we knew him for years and did not know he couldn't read or write.

Some of the most intelligent people I know use your when they should use you're. And I think I probably misspell masturabation once in a while.

Flyin'

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Well... I'm offended!!!

- Elsewhere, of the complete and utter mentalist class.

• Mulan
    Mulan

exspecially instead of especially...................they SAY it that way too.

My all time more irritating one is nuclear................when they say Nook-you-ler. Can't they read?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    behooves - oh I know, it's not ungrammatical - I just don't like it!

Anywho....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    My all time more irritating one is nuclear................when they say Nook-you-ler. Can't they read?

No wonder GW irritates you so!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit