What grammatical errors bug you the most?

by poppers 95 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

For me it's the use of :

it's as a possessive - It's means "it is", so if you DON'T want to say "it is" DON'T use the apostrophe.

There are others that bug me but this one is the worst.

• Panda
    Panda

Poppers, Have you read "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" ? I think you'd enjoy that book.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I hate when people use "your" instead of "you're".. as in "YOU'RE welcome"!!!!

• poppers
    poppers

No I haven't Panda. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up.

poppers

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Don't get me started

I make a lot of mistakes but they are due to poor typing skills rather than poor spelling.

I hate it when people use the wrong word. Dis-associate instead of dissociate - two very different things is one that bugs me a lot.

My ex used to say the word "says" as it looks instead of sez.

• all the apostrophe things,
    • confusing their, there and they're
    • your and you're

I could go on and on but will go away and try to learn how to type using all my fingers

• poppers
    poppers

Yes, StinkyPantz, that one grinds my teeth too!

• Sirona
    Sirona

When people use "too" instead of "to" in the wrong places and when they use the wrong there/their/they're.

Sirona

• wednesday
    wednesday

I am on the "most wanted" list of the spelling police.

• poppers
    poppers

Yes, those are high on my list too, Sirona. An easy way to remember a few things:

"There" contains the word "here" - the other "hear" contains the word "ear" - you hear with your ears
    "They're" - a contraction of "they are" - how hard is that to remember?
    Which leaves "their" - a possessive

"To" - if you can audibly say "tuh" (rhymes with "the") and it makes sense, then use "to" rather than "too"

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

your/you're

their/they're

its/it's

Simple misspellings are no big deal, but lack of simple grammar knowledge sets my teeth on edge. Apostrophes are your friend

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit