Chilling experience

by TallTexan 84 Replies latest jw experiences

• reboot
    reboot
    The is no scientific evidence of a detached consciousness

That was what was so interesting about the programme sleepy. they seemed to think that they had found evidence for a detached conciousness-although it was a physical electrical impulse outside of our usual understanding of where conciousness should be centred, not proof that the 'spirit' was leaving the body but that conciousness could exist outside of it when close to death for a limited time.

Hence the near death experiences some people have when they have 'died' on an operating table for example; and can see what's happening to themselves and describe events later...i'll have to try and remember what the programme was and if i can find a link to it-it was last year.

But there was a provable natural occurance in the death throws of the firing neurons; I think, that explained it convincingly..

• TallTexan
    TallTexan

I want to say thanks to all of you (except for the all-knowing Six) for sharing your thoughts. I know that many people have had experiences like this, and I've discounted many of them for various reasons, but others have been very hard to 'blow off' based on my knowledge of the person, etc. Now maybe I know why. Some of your experiences have truly been interesting, and again I thank you.

As many of you have pointed out, it's hard sometimes as an exJW to rationalize certain things that we've always been taught. I guess the light outside the truth gets 'brighter and brighter' too...lol...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sleepy:Aye, but you're Welsh...

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I wonder if these impulses can be identified by others who are attuned to us.

Exactly, Reboot.....I think that when some creature or human has a "connection" with another, they're able to "tune in" to that person no matter where they are....in times of crises.

Frannie B

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Exactly, Reboot.....I think that when some creature or human has a "connection" with another, they're able to "tune in" to that person no matter where they are....in times of crises.

Frannie B

I believe in that somehow ... really (maybe different degrees/level of connection but still something)

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**The very last sentence of the second paragraph I mentioned that she did indeed pass....

Looking back---I see that you did! Sorry----my mistake!

**found out that she did indeed die after being shipped to John Sealy.

Somehow I read this as you were making phone calls to find out IF she did indeed die etc. I read it wrong! These ole eyes ain't what they used to be.....actually, NOTHING on this body is what it used to be! LOL!

**After last night, I may just have to rethink all that.

And isn't it GREAT to be able to rethink ALL the stuff we took as "gospel" truth, and investigate anything we CHOOSE to? The great part of this IS......that we can accept what we believe to be credible and discard that which we don't-----OUR choice! It's so refreshing now to be free of the WTS "thought police" who decided what we could believe and what we couldn't!

When I was 7 years old, I still remember sitting on the stairs and chatting with a woman with gray hair in a "bun" and wearing a purple shawl. My mother came in from the living room and asked who I was talking to and I told her. She looked real funny and asked more questions about the "lady" I saw and then the conversation ended as I went off to play in the yard.

Later when I was older, my mother told me that I had seen my g'grandmother who had passed before I was born! There were no pictures of her for me to have seen and my mother said that in her last days, she always wore that purple shawl all the time!

I've had a few other events like this before I became a JW, and never felt they were demons or harmful, and I was never comfortable in the beliefs about this that the WTS taught, either. I had looked upon these as gifts and not a curse of some sort......

The same with that little girl---talking with her for a moment or two in an otherwise relaxed situation, wouldn't have been surprising. But knowing the circumstances, it understandably startled you. Talking with my g'grandmother was under a relaxed situation too, cuz I didn't realize the circumstances until years later!

Personally speaking, I feel it was a learning experience and you can draw something from it or choose to leave it alone, whatever you care to do. Just because some folks will not feel as you do, (and will be quick to TELL you as much and how foolish you are, etc) does not negate the fact that YOU saw and heard and experienced it!

hugs
    Annie

• rem
    rem

TT,

>>If one is skeptical of something, then has an experience (or finds information, etc) that proves otherwise, or at least makes them think about things differently, what's odd about that?

Because you are using the word skeptical in the colloquial sense - not as a real skeptic would, ergo, you never really were a skeptic.

Being skeptical does not mean not believing in something until you experience it. The plural of anecdote is not data - even when it happens to you. Being skeptical means not believing in something without evidence. A real skeptic knows the limitations of his own perception and that even his own experience is not really "evidence". That's what the scientific method is for.

But it was an interesting story. I've had some strange things like that happen to me - they are chilling and even scary at the time. The intensity of the feeling, though, does not add validity to the supernatural theory. In my opinion, after reading much on cognitive and perceptory illusions, it does the opposite.

rem

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

TT -

Wow. Quite the story. How sad for that family. At least you know she went to a better place.

Stories like this make me feel encouraged that there is something beyond death, something beyond the "sleep until resurrection (if you're good enough)" that the JW's teach. How could something like this be a "demon". Please.

GH

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    And isn't it GREAT to be able to rethink ALL the stuff we took as "gospel" truth, and investigate anything we CHOOSE to? The great part of this IS......that we can accept what we believe to be credible and discard that which we don't-----OUR choice! It's so refreshing now to be free of the WTS "thought police" who decided what we could believe and what we couldn't!

Let me give a great big AMEN! to that one.

Do any of you (who are exJW's) remember ever sitting around talking (or arguing, or debating) about what YOU personally thought about a subject like this? I don't. I remember people, anytime anyone voiced a personal opinion, saying "Well, the Society says..." and basically discounting the fact that we should have personal opinions. It's great being able to discuss freely what we actually think, believe, or feel, and not have to worry about the 'thought police' coming to get you or your 'friends' telling on you....

• TallTexan
    TallTexan
    Being skeptical does not mean not believing in something until you experience it. The plural of anecdote is not data - even when it happens to you. Being skeptical means not believing in something without evidence. A real skeptic knows the limitations of his own perception and that even his own experience is not really "evidence". That's what the scientific method is for.

Good point and duly noted. However, there is 'circumstantial' evidence that can strongly support evidence for something that cannot be scientifically proven using the scientific method. For instance, years before microscopes were powerful enough to identify germs such as bacteria and viruses, physicians postulated that there were 'little critters' that made people sick. Time, technology, and expanding thought proved them to be right, although at the time they were ridiculed. At times through history, a variety of cases were thought to create illness, such as demon possession, or even that bathing would wash a protective 'coating' off. These were the commonly held schools of thought, yet turned out to be incorrect.

I do know what you're saying, though. Just continuing the debate...lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit