Would You Outlaw Jehovah's Witnesses If You Had The Power?

by minimus 92 Replies latest jw friends

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

insomniac,

you said it would jsut be a meaningless phrase...you mean like free speech? Why is everything censored if its free...

i wouldnt outlaw them, that would give them the ability to become marytrs. the last thing we need is more JW's playing the "We do gods work, even facing DEATH" card...*throws rocks*

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I totally agree with what ppl have already said. I think of a ban as being similar to sactions against Iraq. It only hurts the ppl who need help the most and only resent the outer "world" more. The way to go is either the "Bush-44" strategy or the "Bush-42" strategy of toppling the leadership. The Bush-44 strategy is to attack Bethel and the WT leadership and wipe them out. Not the best way imho, and it could just result in a new radical WT leadership being formed from the ranks of the R&F in reaction to such a horrific act. I would go with "Bush-42" original plan of having the R&F themselves topple the leadership by simply leaving the Org in droves. But Bush-42 failed to give support, and it was a disaster. So must we give support to those in the Org, by giving education and knowledge and help them make their own decisions.

Yeah, it's a bad analogy....but an interesting one...

• flower
    flower

I would rather expose them than outlaw them. Something illegal only looks more enticing to those ignorant of the facts.

• jgnat
    jgnat

No, I wouldn't outlaw the group. That impairs freedom, and would make them internally stronger (persecution complex confirmed).

How about requiring the same ethical practices that are required of big business and big government? Such as;

• Board members can be sued for negligence.
    • Full disclosure of their financial accounts.
    • Required to report child abuse.

These principles could be applied to all churches; only the unethical ones need worry.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

No. If the freedom of one group is denied, than the freedom of others may also be denied. Take for example the ban of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. It is having serious repercusions on the Witnesses, but others have also been denied access to stadiums.

http://www.forum18.org/Archive.php?article_id=377

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I don't think I'd choose to legally ban them

Neither do I, Min, neither do I ! Banning only encourages them!

• minimus
    minimus

I do feel that we should have the libert and freedom to make our own choices on such matters but I do feel that religion, in general, should be held accountable for their actions and not be given special exemptions.

• blondie
    blondie
    Banning only encourages them!

I can remember the bad old days; it was so boring when people would be apathetic. A good confrontation with a "persecutor" made for good telling for days, weeks, years afterwards. It is best just to make sure people have all the facts about the WTS, including the facts they try to hide.

Blondie

• gypsywildone
    gypsywildone

Education is the best way to kill tyranny.

How true elsewhere. Any resistance only feeds their persecution complex.

• minimus
    minimus

I wonder how Undaunted Danny feels about this......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit