• Alleymom
    Alleymom

"Do not forget to entertain strangers,
    for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."
    Hebrews 13:1 [NIV]

"Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers,
    for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."
    Hebrews 13:1 [NASB]

I'd love to ask the next witness at my door about that verse and why the WT warns against strangers without adding that strangers MAY be a blessing. For all the person at my door knows, I might be an angel. Perhaps I was sent to bring him a blessing from God.

Marjorie

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

The article is due to be studied October 11-17. I might have to go to this WT study. Maybe sit in the front row and just stare at the conductor. I can look pretty mean when I want to..hehe.

Wolfy

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

**"Do not forget to entertain strangers,

Alleymom!! I LOVE it!

I SLO enjoy zapping scriptures back at JWs when they come out with their goofy crap!!!

Thanks for this one.

hugs

Annie......of the "wish *I* had thought of that" class

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Pssst... hey, kid, do you want a copy of Crisis of Conscience???

CZAR - nobody is stranger than he...

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Steady! You're actually quoting, not from verse one, but verse two of Hebrews 13.

Having said that, it's interesting to reflect on how the WTS have commented on that text over the years. Each time they apply it i.e. the "strangers" to being fellow worshipers of Jehovah. Most times they preclude their explanation with a discussion of Abraham and his entertaining strangers. Very little is ever mentioned about the strangers of modern times, that is, how is it to be applied to us personally? No doubt because the answer doesn't fit in with their own peculiar theology.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    Steady! You're actually quoting, not from verse one, but verse two of Hebrews 13.

Oooopsy! Thanks, Ozzie!

I'll have to make sure I have the reference right when I make my sign and stand outside KH on October 11-17.

(Just kidding ... I wouldn't have the nerve! But I WILL bring it up to any witnesses at the door in the month of October.)

Annie ---
    Thanks! Hugs right back at ya! (If YOU make a sign, be sure to say Hebrew 13:2, NOT Hebrews 13:1!)

• Sweetp0985
    Sweetp0985
    In Galatians chapter 1 and verse 8, the Apostle Paul emphasizes how important it is that we do that. Notice Galatians chapter 1 verse 8. Here, Paul stresses what we need to do if someone presents to us a teaching that doesn't fit into the pattern of truth that's been given to us. Here he says, "However, even if we or an angel out of heaven were to declare to you as good news something beyond what we declared to you as good news, let him be accursed."

[23:23] So friends, hypothetically, and I repeat, hypothetically, even if an angel were to come down here and land on this platform, today, at this moment, and to present something to us that didn't fit into the pattern of truth, what should we be ready to do? We should be ready to say, " Hold on there, that doesn't fit into the pattern, and I am not going to listen to it!" Yes, even if it were one of Jehovah's angels.

**"Do not forget to entertain strangers,

So WTS is basically saying if an angel of Jehovah were to approach you (they think any and all spirits are demons anyway), and tell you something outside of their WTS ways of teaching to not listen to them. But the bible says, "Do notforget to entertain strangers", so they are telling you to disregard the bible?

Ok I mentioned it on another post (so many I can't remember which one) but I'm currently reading CoC and every day I come on this board and find out some piece of informtion that I can see plain as day as a false teaching that they are condemning every other religion/church for but they are doing the same damn thing. I am really at the highest point of pissivity (if that is a word) right now and want to go picket the local KH's here but I'm too well known and my parents would disown me further than they already have. BTW my mom told me that yesterday, "you're not my daughter until you respect me = come back to JW organization" but she spent the night at my demonic non-JW believing apt. Whenever I bring this up she says she staying there to encourage my brother who was never baptized but has recently started going to the KH but still agrees with me on alot of issues. He really doesnt care but he goes to keep moms and pops happy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit